Goforit Paddy

Guest joemedic

Welcome to GT. I first came to GT when my first greyhound, Joe, was diagnosed with lymphoma. Now, 6 years later, GT is part of my family.

I'm sorry for your loss, and glad you found GreyTalk.

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

Guest argolola

I'm so sorry for the loss of your precious Paddy. May God bless you and heal your broken heart. Please take comfort in knowing that you gave your pup a wonderful life.

I'm sorry. Please share a picture of your sweet love when you are up to it.

And tell us more about him, if you want. I like his name. Was Paddy from an Irish bloodline?

Guest joemedic

Thank you all for your heartfelt words. It helps.

I've been volunteering at the local greyhound rescue (Quad Cities Greyhound Adoption) hoping that will ease the pain. They all remind me of Paddy and I want to take them all home!

My wife and I will be adopting one, if not two greyhounds in the coming months. My wife went to the rescue this evening and fell in love all over again--she liked the dog I'd fallen in love with and picked out one for herself!

There will be no replacing my Paddy, but I can honor his memory best by finding homes for some of his fellows.

St. Patrick's Day, I will miss sharing some stout with Paddy--he liked beer a lot (not that we gave him much) and it was his birthday anyway.

My wife told me that as she was leaving the rescue, she almost broke out in tears because she missed Paddy so much.

We miss the pitter-patter of big feet going up and down the stairs in the night, the strange sounds of a dog doing things in the night (Paddy was free fed and loved to chow down at 3 a.m.), the banging of a butt into the closet doors, the digging around of blankets at night, etc.

Thank you all again. I will post pictures of Paddy soon and look forward to posting pictures of the new family members.

Give your hounds a hug for me!

Take care and thanks again,

joemedic

Guest Winterwish

How very moving it is to read about your Paddy. A very special spirit he is indeed. Extending my condolences to you both. :grouphug

Until you meet again,run and play free sweet Paddy ~

~ :angel:f_white:f_pink:f_white:candle

Just know he is "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" just waiting til we all meet n greet one more time.......... Godspeed Paddy. May his memories comfort you for years to come. I'm so glad you found greytalk. :f_red:gh_run:f_red

Guest DoofBert

We'll be thinking of your Paddy on St. Patrick's Day when our greyhound group marches in the local parade.

Their love stay in our hearts and therefore, they will always be with us.

Godspeed, Paddy!

Guest joemedic

Here are some pictures of Paddy (my first time posting pictures, so have patience!)

Paddy laying around

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u47/joe...ddyLounging.jpg

Paddy doing his Sphinx impression (note his buddy in the background!)

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u47/joe...PaddySphinx.jpg

Adopted a greyhound yesterday. Just waiting for the vet stuff to be done. I can hardly wait!

joemedic

Guest joemedic

And tell us more about him, if you want. I like his name. Was Paddy from an Irish bloodline?

I have no idea of his bloodline. His broodmates were all named with "Goforit" and a second name. It is my understanding that he raced in MO.

My wife and I decided on a greyhound after seeing some at a meet and greet. Went to a foster house and there were 12 dogs hopping around and then it was like a disease hit--they all started passing out. We had sorta picked out a small black female, yet this big, piebald, fawn, semi-brindle came over and set his head in my lap. The foster mom said that Paddy was cool with cats and had mastered stairs already (we have four levels in our house).

We took Paddy home later on that week. He didn't like the crate and constantly escaped so we just let him run free. The cats ruled his life and he didn't care. Never climbed up on the bed nor the couch despite being invited. Was so laid back that he wouldn't even lay on the floor with me. When my wife and I would argue about politics, he would get up and leave. He loved his squeaky toys. No real problems with housebreaking until the last year of his life.

Paddy helped get a number of foster dogs over the years used to life in a house. Of the dogs I fostered, none has ever been returned.

He impressed everyone who ever met him with his quiet dignity and nobility. I remember that I was called at the last moment for a meet and greet. I dragged Paddy out. A severely handicapped child in a wheel chair came by with his family. Paddy walked away from the people petting him and went and put his head in this kid's lap. The parents were amazed at the reaction that Paddy got from their son. I think Paddy knew.

My old roommate has two greyhounds. Several families in the small town where I live have greyhounds after meeting Paddy. The Schwan's guy has two greyounds. He got a bunch of his buddies adopted and in his memory, I will be adopting one, probably two more greyhounds and give them forever homes.

My father had this to say about Paddy's passing: "All of God's creatures are created for a purpose, which is generally not fathomable to us mere mortals, except in a general way. I believe that all creatures are created for the purpose of love, and Paddy certainly fulfilled that role in the lives of all the people he touched. Having fulfilled his purpose he was called home to the realm of his Creator. We are left to marvel at Paddy's journey, and to grieve his passing. "

I couldn't have said it better...

joemedic

Thanks for sharing your story about getting Paddy. It reminds me of my story about my first grey Van. Where did you get Paddy from? I have gotten all of mine from QCGA. They have some GREYT dogs. Which one have you picked out? We can go to take a look. :lol Welcome to the wonderful world of GT.

waiting at the bridge Connie Van Teddy & Jojo, Cobra

Guest joemedic
Thanks for sharing your story about getting Paddy. It reminds me of my story about my first grey Van. Where did you get Paddy from? I have gotten all of mine from QCGA. They have some GREYT dogs. Which one have you picked out? We can go to take a look. :lol Welcome to the wonderful world of GT.

QCGA in it's very much younger days is where we adopted Paddy from. We've adopted Boo Ray. He is quiet, has been hanging around the kennel way too long and needs a home. He will need some work like on the stairs and he jumps up on people, but I think he will fit in fine. Once we get him used to the home, we'll look at getting him a buddy.

joemedic

Guest crazy4hounds

Joe, so sorry to hear of Paddy's passing. This is Cheryl from the early days of QCGA,also! Paddy was truly a greyt boy and a pleasure to meet! I know you will miss him but know he will always be with you. It's good to hear that you are helping out at the kennel and adopting another hound. I can't imagine our home without a greyhound! :gh_lay

Guest CookieLover

What a sweet face on your Paddy! I'm so sorry for your loss, but we sure can keep loving them through our love for the new ones we take in. We have adopted two since we lost our first, giving us three sweet babies! We just celebrated the one year anniversary of our boy's trip to the Bridge. God speed sweet Paddy - go and have some fun!

P.S. Your Boo Ray is a doll. What a precious little face he has - very sensitive looking.

I have no idea of his bloodline. His broodmates were all named with "Goforit" and a second name. It is my understanding that he raced in MO.

My wife and I decided on a greyhound after seeing some at a meet and greet. Went to a foster house and there were 12 dogs hopping around and then it was like a disease hit--they all started passing out. We had sorta picked out a small black female, yet this big, piebald, fawn, semi-brindle came over and set his head in my lap. The foster mom said that Paddy was cool with cats and had mastered stairs already (we have four levels in our house).

We took Paddy home later on that week. He didn't like the crate and constantly escaped so we just let him run free. The cats ruled his life and he didn't care. Never climbed up on the bed nor the couch despite being invited. Was so laid back that he wouldn't even lay on the floor with me. When my wife and I would argue about politics, he would get up and leave. He loved his squeaky toys. No real problems with housebreaking until the last year of his life.

Paddy helped get a number of foster dogs over the years used to life in a house. Of the dogs I fostered, none has ever been returned.

He impressed everyone who ever met him with his quiet dignity and nobility. I remember that I was called at the last moment for a meet and greet. I dragged Paddy out. A severely handicapped child in a wheel chair came by with his family. Paddy walked away from the people petting him and went and put his head in this kid's lap. The parents were amazed at the reaction that Paddy got from their son. I think Paddy knew.

My old roommate has two greyhounds. Several families in the small town where I live have greyhounds after meeting Paddy. The Schwan's guy has two greyounds. He got a bunch of his buddies adopted and in his memory, I will be adopting one, probably two more greyhounds and give them forever homes.

My father had this to say about Paddy's passing: "All of God's creatures are created for a purpose, which is generally not fathomable to us mere mortals, except in a general way. I believe that all creatures are created for the purpose of love, and Paddy certainly fulfilled that role in the lives of all the people he touched. Having fulfilled his purpose he was called home to the realm of his Creator. We are left to marvel at Paddy's journey, and to grieve his passing. "

I couldn't have said it better...

joemedic

What a great story...thanks for posting that and the pics.

• 1 month later...
Guest Carla

I am so sorry for your loss. Please accept my heartfelt condolences.

Paddy will always be with you in spirit

Godspeed Paddy, you are terribly missed.

Hugs,

Carla

• 3 weeks later...
:cry1:grouphugf_yellow

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound