A Poll On Pet Insurance

Insurance  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have health insurance for your greyhound?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. I have insurance, and....

• I think it's a waste of money!
    • I'm glad I have it, it's worth if for the peace of mind.
    • I'm glad I have it, I've gotten more than the cost back in reimbursements.

Guest EmbersDad
I don't have it but am SERIOUSLY considering it. Those that have insurance, what company do you go through and what is the monthly payment if you don't mind me asking.

When I get insurance, likely tomorrow, I'm going with VPI. For Grace (4 years old) and puppy Fenway (4 months old) I was quoted $45/month for the superior plan with the cancer rider, but does not include preventive care. I have been torn because I don't have UNLIMITED disposable income, that's one or two less nights out on weekends or a few less lattes. I'll let you know in 3-4 years if it's worth it! I am about 95% sure I'm getting it, I've been dragging my feet long enough!

vpi stinks...premiums go up..payouts go down

case in point

1st xrays for limp...264...vpi gave me 60

2nd x rays which discovered osteo 580...vpi gave me 264

once, i submitted a $300 dental...got back $5

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have ASPCA pet health insurance for Emmet, Martin and Yogi. The cost is about $50 per dog per month. We signed up right after Emmet landed at the emergency vet with kennel cough and $1100 in diagnostic/treatment charges. (That's another story :angryfire .) Our plan has $100 deductible per plan period, $5000 limit per incident and $13,000 limit per plan period per dog. It covers 80% of reasonable costs, including all the preventatives (heartworm/fleas/vaccines), dental care (one annual cleaning), treatment for injuries and illness. There are a number of exclusions, including injuries related to racing, preexisting conditions, chiropractic conditions, experimental procedures.

So far, we have been very happy with the insurance. We're way ahead of the game with Martin (dental, big laceration repair, broken toe $$$$$), breaking even with Emmet, and they are making money on Yogi. They are very responsive and I've always received my reimbursement check within a few weeks.

I wish we had been on board with them right after we adopted. I'd recommend it--I know many folks put money aside for these expenses but the insurance works better for us.

Guest zoolaine

Ive had PetFirst since July and love it. After the older dogs yearly exam, shots, bloodwork, etc, I was reimbursed over $500 for their routine care. When Zali broke her toe the vet bill was $186 and I got back $120 - I had to pay the $50 deductible and 10%. I didn't have any follow up x-rays because she was doing great but if I did I would have only had to pay like $10. I think with the routine coverage, that is actually useable, it is well worth it. So far I am very happy with it and would recommend PetFirst to any one with multiple dogs.

Whoa--$186 for that broken toe??? Lucky you!

Martin's ended up being almost $900 with two sets of x-rays, pain and antibiotic meds, and 7 bandage/splint changes at $44 per visit. It didn't help that he developed a couple of small but painful pressure sores on his foot under the bandage/splint. :o

He's doing fine but we're still leash walking him for potty breaks in our backyard only and absolutely no running since October 1st.

Guest zoolaine
Whoa--$186 for that broken toe??? Lucky you!

Martin's ended up being almost $900 with two sets of x-rays, pain and antibiotic meds, and 7 bandage/splint changes at $44 per visit. It didn't help that he developed a couple of small but painful pressure sores on his foot under the bandage/splint. :o

He's doing fine but we're still leash walking him for potty breaks in our backyard only and absolutely no running since October 1st.

Yep, vet charges are generally on the low end here in Yakima compared to other locations. With the insurance I ended up paying like $60 for her broken toe - decided to skip the splint due to her only being about 5 months old at the time and the worry of pressure sores.

One of the great things about PetFirst Insurance is that they pay 90% of whatever your vet charges, they don't have a set fee schedule - so if your vet charges $100 they will reimburse $90 or if they charge $500 for the same procedure you get $450 back - minus the $50 deductible.

Edited by zoolaine

After having to spend over $7,000 this year for my little non grey (she went to the Bridge Aug1) I am glad I have insurance on my other dog. After lots of inquiring and research I went with embracepetinsurance.com as they offer a $10.000 coverage with a $500 deductible and a 20% co-pay. If I had this on my little one I would saved several thousand, unfortunately she had a pre-existing condition. I pay under $130 a year for my almost 3yo non grey and I feel its worth it in case something like this happened to him as I no longer have that amount of money in savings. anne

Help me decide! I don't know if I should get insurance or not. I can be really stingy (or thrifty, depending on how you look at it!) and I hate "throwing money away". I feel like purchasing pet insurance for my greyhounds would be worth the peace of mind it provides in case one was to get really hurt or really sick. My parents think I should put money in a savings account instead (very hard for me, I'd tend to spend it on collars and coats instead!) Just wanted to get everyone's opinion.....I fear the worst and would like to be prepared, but not "ripped off". Thanks for sharing your experiences!

• 4 years later...
Guest goldfishngreys

I just got insurance for my two girls (7 and 7.5) in June through Healthy Paws. I have 80% reimbursement and $250 deductible for $82/month. I don’t like to waste money either but I cannot tell you what peace of mind I have. I am not a good saver and would not want to drain my savings on a major medical bill. The equation of stress has been lifted knowing that if anything happens, I won’t have to decide if I can afford to treat based on my financial situation. A few times I’ve thought, “Oh I could have used the $82 on a new outfit or dog bed” but material items cannot buy the peace of mind I’ve had since getting the insurance. Healthy Paws also gives you 30 Days to see if you like it and if not, they give you a refund. Best of luck on your decision (and for those on the fence as well)! Just be sure to do your research and read the fine print to make sure this is something that is right for you.

To be fair and transparent, it hasn't been "worth" it for my greyhound, Katie. It's more than paid for itself for my rat terrier, Pixie, with her 8K in vet bills her first year with me. I'm keeping it on both of them, because of that!

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/