A Poll On Pet Insurance

Insurance  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have health insurance for your greyhound?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. I have insurance, and....

• I think it's a waste of money!
    • I'm glad I have it, it's worth if for the peace of mind.
    • I'm glad I have it, I've gotten more than the cost back in reimbursements.

Help me decide! I don't know if I should get insurance or not. I can be really stingy (or thrifty, depending on how you look at it!) and I hate "throwing money away". I feel like purchasing pet insurance for my greyhounds would be worth the peace of mind it provides in case one was to get really hurt or really sick. My parents think I should put money in a savings account instead (very hard for me, I'd tend to spend it on collars and coats instead!) Just wanted to get everyone's opinion.....I fear the worst and would like to be prepared, but not "ripped off". Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never had it. Can't vote though-because it wants me to choose something on the second part...

I agree...I put No for the first part and ended up putting "it is a waste of money" for the second part. But that isn't how I feel. I just haven't really looked it over and can't really afford it right now (monthly payments as a student are kept to a strict minimum!). I do have a visa for emergency purposes if I don't have the cash handy so I am prepared...perhaps once I am done school and have a steady job I may get her insurance....especially after seeing all the cancer on here. :(

Guest amberj002

I didn't vote because we don't have it and don't want to say it is a waste of money. I think that we will be getting it...even if it is more for the piece of mind. I have seen so many stories of some of the things that can happen...and not just illnesses, some of the accidents that can happen and thinking of the vet bills that would add up because of it. We have an emergency credit card too for now...but need to look more into insurance...so I am curious to see what others have to say!!

I've had insurance for Cleo since she came home more than four years ago. As we added hounds to the family, we added to the policy. Last year I seriously considered cancelling the policy but never quite got around to it. Thank gawd! We more than recouped our four years of payments in 12 months last year.

I have complained about the policy restrictions in the past but it's definitely worth having. I am not going to consider cancelling again. The payment I make every month is worth the peace of mind.

Jennifer

Cleo (Golddust Cadilac 83484 Blazing Desire X Greys Blu Fox)

Cole (Hallo Jeremy 88778 My Rooster X Bahama Tango)

Athena (R and a Peach 93839 Coldwater Guv X R and a Lady)

user posted image

Guest gottaluvgreysindy

I don't have it but am SERIOUSLY considering it. Those that have insurance, what company do you go through and what is the monthly payment if you don't mind me asking.

I don't have it but am SERIOUSLY considering it. Those that have insurance, what company do you go through and what is the monthly payment if you don't mind me asking.

When I get insurance, likely tomorrow, I'm going with VPI. For Grace (4 years old) and puppy Fenway (4 months old) I was quoted $45/month for the superior plan with the cancer rider, but does not include preventive care. I have been torn because I don't have UNLIMITED disposable income, that's one or two less nights out on weekends or a few less lattes. I'll let you know in 3-4 years if it's worth it! I am about 95% sure I'm getting it, I've been dragging my feet long enough!

Edited by gracegirl

Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I recently got VPI for our two grey girls. I got the Superior Plan for both. I got the routine care on Darcy's policy only (Celeste just got all her shots and doesn't need a dental). I opted not to get the additional cancer rider.

I never had pet insurance before. However, I did get insurance for my horse. My equine insurance policy has been a godsend and well worth the $500 annual premium. My mare tore a ligament last fall and I've already been reimbursed for about $2,000 in vet bills.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

I don't have it and would never get it either.

Really? Why not? More details would be helpful for those of us on the fence!

I don't have it and would never get it either.

Really? Why not? More details would be helpful for those of us on the fence!

I have a savings account.

I hate spending money on something that I don't end up using. I wouldn't have car insurance either but it's required by law (I have the min required by law).

But I've been lucky, in the 4 years that I have had Sparks, he's only had 1 huge vet bill which was about a $1000. Passion has never had a vet bill.

I realize that I just jinxed myself :lol

Edited by Wonder

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I recently got VPI for our two grey girls. I got the Superior Plan for both. I got the routine care on Darcy's policy only (Celeste just got all her shots and doesn't need a dental). I opted not to get the additional cancer rider.

When talking to the VPI agent last week she mentioned she didn't know how much longer they would offer the cancer rider. They loose money on it, so there has been discussion about no longer offering that (the cancer rider is the reason I'm using VPI over the others) They would not ever drop the cancer coverage if you bought it now, it's $27/year for the puppy, for the life of the dog, vs. over $100 if you wait until they are 9+ to get the cancer rider. I'm as torn as ever!

I hate spending money on something that I don't end up using. I wouldn't have car insurance either but it's required by law (I have the min required by law).

My thoughts exactly! If I'm going to get it for Fenway, I'll get it before he gets here (no pre-existing conditions). It's such a gamble....the longer I have my dogs and the older they get, I hope to have more disposable income so I don't have to worry. Aaarrrggg!

Guest EMcElfresh

I have really been thinking about it in the past few days too -since Gordon's surgery cost us over $1500 - and likely will cost another $200-300 in check-ups and rebandaging costs that we DON'T have (the doc wants to make sure the infection never spreads)...Mark and I joked about getting it when he was going into surgery - and now I am thinking, hey - might be worth it, we barely make enough to scrape by, and this is going to be something it takes months to pay off, we don't have credit cards (never wanted one), so we had to use Care Credit - but are going to get a lower interest (care credit is almost 24%!! :eek) this weekend to transfer the balence to...let me know what you end up doing - as I am also on the fence, and will be watching this topic...

Edited by EMcElfresh

I have really been thinking about it in the past few days too -since Gordon's surgery cost us over $1500 - and likely will cost another $200-300 in check-ups and rebandaging costs that we DON'T have (the doc wants to make sure the infection never spreads)...Mark and I joked about getting it when he was going into surgery - and now I am thinking, hey - might be worth it, we barely make enough to scrape by, and this is going to be something it takes months to pay off, we don't have credit cards (never wanted one), so we had to use Care Credit - but are going to get a lower interest (care credit is almost 24%!! :eek) this weekend to transfer the balence to...let me know what you end up doing - as I am also on the fence, and will be watching this topic...

Boy do my feelings swing fast! I called my mom on the way to work this morning and had a long discussion with her about insurance. They have never insured their Westie, and he’s been very healthy…now at 8 years old. One broken leg, no surgery required. Anyhow, she reassured me that I could take my chance and hopefully have a healthy puppy, and if there ever was an emergency that I couldn’t handle they would let me borrow money. If insurance covered everything and I could pay $50/month and then not have to worry about covering the co-pay, then part of the cost, etc. I’d do it. The way VIP reimburses though is by determining what the “average cost” is for a given treatment/procedure, then they cover 90% of that. Since I’m in a bigger city, vet care costs more and therefore I would probably only get an average of half of the cost back from insurance. At this point, with going it alone and a limited amount of disposable income, I’m going to set up an online savings account to pull money each month from checking as soon as I get paid, and use that for emergencies. (note to self: “needing” new collars is NOT an emergency!)  So, no insurance, and keeping fingers crossed for healthy and accident free hounds while thanking god for great parents!

Guest EMcElfresh

Ah - I live in Massachusetts - so everything is pricey...and my folks unfortunatly won't cover my pets if I needed it - it was a choice I made, and I gotta pay for it (literally and figurativly) :colgate But good for you in making your choice - my folks never insured their animals either - they think it's preposterous - and tell me the same thing, save up in a dedicated savings account for pet emeragancies - ugh parents :) Here's to hoping all our pups stay happy and healthy!

Edited by EMcElfresh

Ah - I live in Massachusetts - so everything is pricey...and my folks unfortunatly won't cover my pets if I needed it - it was a choice I made, and I gotta pay for it (literally and figurativly) :colgate But good for you in making your choice - my folks never insured their animals either - they think it's preposterous - and tell me the same thing, save up in a dedicated savings account for pet emeragancies - ugh parents :) Here's to hoping all our pups stay happy and healthy!

EVERYTHING is more expensive in MA! I moved to Seattle from Boston a year ago, although Seattle is not an inexpensive city. Think healthy thoughts, think healthy thoughts, think healthy thoughts! :)

So, no insurance, and keeping fingers crossed for healthy and accident free hounds while thanking god for great parents!

You see, fingers crossed for healthy and accident free hounds just doesn't do it for me. It's absolutely fine if a person is very well situated money wise (where no amount of money would be difficult to find if it became necessary) but for normal everydy people, thats just not the case.

I adopted a Westie from rescue in September 06 and she was four months old. I insured her the day we adopted her. At seven months she was diagnosed with Perthes Disease and on Valentines Day, she cost my insurance company well in excess of £1000 ($2000) having part of her hip joint removed. I have paid 5 months worth of insurance premiums for her, so approx £50 ($100). She may need the same on on the other side at some point. Her not being insured doesn't even bear thinking about.

My greyhounds have all made the most of their insurance policies, as have some of my mutts. I struggle to pay the insurance premiums each month but they are an absolute must for peace of mind. Sometimes, even the best insurance policies can't 'fix' the dog but at least you can throw every single (suitable) treatment at the dog and not have to worry about where the money is coming from.

we barely make enough to scrape by, and this is going to be something it takes months to pay off, we don't have credit cards (never wanted one), so we had to use Care Credit - but are going to get a lower interest (care credit is almost 24%!! :eek) this weekend to transfer the balence to...let me know what you end up doing - as I am also on the fence, and will be watching this topic...

I'm sure I come across as a little blunt sometimes and I really don't mean to be but I've just read your thread re vet fees and then came back to this thread and re-read the quote above and I honestly and truly cannot fathom why you are still on the fence :unsure You said yourself that you barely make enough to scrape by and that this one injury is going to take you months to pay off.....so what on earth will happen if your dog has another accident or develops an illness?

You are now paying off a big bill, plus massive interest, on a monthly basis.

Instead, you could have been paying a nominal, monthly fee to an insurance company which would have not only covered your dog for this accident, but for any other accidents too!

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest EMcElfresh

That's a good point - I think I have always been intimidated by the legal jargon - I have insurance for myself that is so complicated (damn company!) I don't even know when or for what reasons I'm allowed to go to the doctor...I also haven't been impressed by what is or isn't covered..it seems to me I might be looking at the wrong plans somehow?? Do they cover a set % or do they cover it based on average vet rates for the country? I am in a very pricey part of the country...In any case, I am def. looking more into it... :unsure

ps -and yes Gracegirl, it is more expensive here than anywhere (other than California it seems) else..I just moved from Boston to the North Shore - and it's still killer!! :eek

Edited by EMcElfresh

That's a good point - I think I have always been intimidated by the legal jargon - I have insurance for myself that is so complicated (damn company!) I don't even know when or for what reasons I'm allowed to go to the doctor...I also haven't been impressed by what is or isn't covered..it seems to me I might be looking at the wrong plans somehow?? Do they cover a set % or do they cover it based on average vet rates for the country? I am in a very pricey part of the country...In any case, I am def. looking more into it... :unsure

I suppose the way I look at it is if you had a human child, there is no way, regardless of how complicated it was, you'd not have an insurance policy to cover the childs health. So my advice to you is to contact a few different vets, speak to the admin people and ask which insurance companies seem to work well for their clients (ie cover the sort of stuff you want covering, pay out promptly etc). You *may* find that some vets are not allowed to promote any one particular insurance company - thats sometimes the case over here but I'm not sure if its the same in the USA.

Once you've got an idea of which, say, three insurance companies may be good for you, you can then look at their policies and ask each one for specific details before you make your choice.

One thing I will say regarding choice of policy (and again, be aware that I'm speaking from a UK perpective so this needs checking for USA companies) is make absolutely sure that you go for a covered for life policy. I'll explain what I mean by that.

You may find two companies offering what look to be pretty similar policies but one is a good few dollars a month cheaper than the other, so it looks more inviting. Ask the company the following:- "If my dog were to get an illness such as diabetes for example, you would cover him during that first policy year?" (They'll say yes) "Will you then go on to cover him for diabetes once we go into the next policy year??".

The cheaper company is likely to say no. The more expensive company is more likely (hopefully) to say yes.

If the company says no, their policy is not worth having full stop. There is no point having a policy which only covers the dog for one year for that illness and then refuses to pay out for the same illness once you finish that policy year. You need a company who will not only pay out for the first claim but who will continue to pay out to cover that illness for the duration of the dogs life.

Does that make sense?

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

OK I have to chime in here because VPI just peeved me a bit. I applied for full coverage including cancer rider for Salem the minute we adopted her. I learned the hard way about pre-existing conditions with Inu.

Anyway, I just got a letter from them last week (we applied in November) They want to know where her vet records are for the past four years. WHAT? She's a retired racer do you expect me to go to Seabrook and get this info? So I am now going to call them back and explain what she did the last four years of her life. IDIOTS.

Rant off.

Other than the major MAJOR loops they make you jump through they do seem to do a nice job of reimbursement. For Inu, our month vet appointment boy, they still cover part of his corn treatments!

And honestly at the end of the day there is this little Murphy's Law bug that just likes to know we have it, just in case.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Obviously with any insurance policy... the company is betting you'll pay them more then they will pay you at the end of the day. If that wasn't the case more often than not, then they'd be out of business.

Having said that... pet insurance is just that... it is insurance. I know that I NEVER come anywhere close to using what I pay for insurance. HOWEVER, if I was in major accident... I would never be able to handle it w/o insurance.

One thing I can tell you from a vet's point of view is this. Owners with pet insurance to me seem less stressed at the hospital as they rarely have to worry about $$$ on top of health!

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest gottaluvgreysindy

Very interesting thread. So far I have only heard about VPI. What about any other insurances. Does anyone else have any other experiences with pet insurance. I AM getting it, I just don't know with who. Especially after the week from he!! I've had :colgate

Be sure to stick with a big company. I've heard of several smaller companies going out of business and owners having paid all their premiums on their younger pets being left out to dry once they were older. :( VPI is "owned" by Iams/Eukanuba so there is a lot of financial stability there. Other companies may also be fine... just do your research!

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg