We Would Have Celebrated Her Birthday Today

Annette

We didn't know Scarlett's exact birthdate. We just know she was born February 1993.

We weren’t planning on adopting you. I was still in school. We were going to wait just a few more months before considering adopting another son or daughter. Chance stepped in. Your dad found a Greyhound wandering the streets. He had no problem coaxing him into the back of the car and brought him home. I called around to the area adoption groups. Your dad found the hound’s parents while I was still making calls. I was talking about your brother Icabod (who you never knew) to the man who had you. He told me that he just got back a sweet little girl. She was shy and lived in a bad situation. I told him no, we weren’t ready to adopt. I only had a few weeks left of school. A week later I called back, “can we come and meet her?” Next thing we knew, you were climbing into the back of the car. We were not prepared for a new hound child. There was no dog food or dog beds anymore at home. On the way home we stopped and picked up food and treats for you. I couldn’t help but wonder what you were thinking when we took you home that day. I was sure you understood what we were talking about and we had no food for you. You had to be confused. And to top it off, you were riding in a car made by a company that had been out of business for 9 years. Could you possibly trust riding in a dinosaur?

You made it home with us in that old dinosaur. We adopted you not knowing if you were kitty safe, so on went the muzzle when you met the kitties. Spooky who was afraid of no dog was afraid of you in your muzzle. He soon learned otherwise. Then there was Lefty. You weren’t afraid of her, you were just nervous over the entire chain of events. You just wanted her off your bed. As time went on, you and Lefty came to an understanding. You were Alpha over everyone and Lefty was also alpha over everyone but you. Taffy was a shy little girl and you got to know her over the years. You were also very shy. You were even afraid of your dad, grandpa and men in general. Also, if something looked like a stick, smelled like a stick, it was a stick, even if it was a soda bottle or a rolled up newspaper. Just the sight sent you running to hide. We took you out and about to help you get over your fears.

Some friends were members of the Harley Owner’s Group and were part of an event called the “Mayor’s Ride” that originated in one of the 4-H barns at the fair grounds. It was a fundraiser for the local humane society. They wanted us to come with all our Greyhound friends to show all these people how wonderful you were. There were going to be hundreds of Harleys in the barn before the ride and our friend Mary said not to come too early before all the bikes were there because the rumble would surely scare you. Being only human, we got there early (something unusual for us!) and you just shook at the sight and sounds of the bikes outside the barn. We were so sorry and upset. We were ready to take you back home. Then along came Pharaoh, a tall, handsome fawn colored boy. He was your knight in shining armor; you stuck to him like glue for the rest of the day. The event lasted until 4:00pm. That was a long time for you and your Greyhound friends. We were going to leave at 1:00pm, and the rest of the hounds did. You were just getting into the show by then, so we stayed for the duration. You turned into a perfect ambassador, batting your eyes at the “big, tough Harley Dudes” so they would pet you. At the end of the day when the bikers were leaving, you didn’t shake a bit. You didn’t even budge when the bikes passed in what seemed like inches from your nose. You just slept.

As time passed, you became the Alpha Queen that we loved. When we babysat for two friends (a black lab and cocker spaniel), you let it be known that you were the queen of your castle. They were not allowed on any furniture. The lab was to overweight to even jump on the couch, but the cocker spaniel so wanted to sleep on the furniture. You eventually gave in, letting her have just one chair to sleep on. You were confident with your authority over other dogs. Why, you even sent a German Shepherd running with his tail between his legs when he got to fresh with you. Even your cousin Ollie, who is alpha over all that enter his castle, had to bow down to you. On that Thanksgiving Thursday, you took his easy chair and ignored his pleas to move. Ollie begged all the humans to have you move, but we didn’t. Ollie was knocked down a peg by you.

You were a sweet and wonderful girl who liked to run in a star pattern. Not an oval or a figure eight. You wanted to be different than the others and you were. You were ours.

Scarlett Mattson, Princess of Whine, OBH

February 1993 – October 8, 2005

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

that was a lovely tribute. i think of scarlett and her wagon often :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I too think of Scarlett often. She must be why there are all those big stars in the night sky now -- little girl running, running, running, happy and young and free.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Happy bridge birthday, Scarlett :) :)

what a beautiful tribute, Annette...I never knew her story. Thank you so much for sharing it -- she was a very very special girl! :wub: :wub:

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Happy Birthday, Sweet Scarlett. I only met you once but I will remember you forever.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Oh pretty girl...Your picture that your Mommy sent me remains on my computer desk. Have a Happy Bridge Birthday Sweetheart. You are so loved and missed. :grouphug:f_pink

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest PhillyPups

Scarlett, what a wonderful tribute to you your mommy wrote. I also have your picture your mommy sent me by my computer. I do think of you often also.

:bighug Annette

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Carla

Oh Annette,

What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful girl. Scarlett was a special girl and I will always remember her in her wagon at Dewey.

Thank you for posting and remembering Scarlett and reminding us just how precious life is.

Happy Bridge Birthday Scarlett. You are terribly missed.

Carla

Guest EmbersDad

happy belated birthday scarlett. forgive me for my tardiness. i may only have a picture of you, but consider you a friend. i hope that you and the other bridgekids had one barnburner of a celebration :banana

Guest ss556

HappyBirthday Sweet Scarlett at the Rainbow Bridge. Your story really interested me and unfortunately, your demise is something I will never ever forget. You did not deserve that but you are in a good place now, watching over your loving family. God bless you Scarlett, Annette & family.