A Few Questions From New Parents!

Guest cruisedogs

Guest cruisedogs

We have just adoped a 2-1/2 year old red fawn and her new name will be Lucy. Can't wait to get her home on Friday. Went on a shopping spree for her and she is going to be so spoiled but will be well dressed lady! My new spring wardrobe just went flying out the door!

We purchased a 48" crate to keep her in during the day and hopefully for just a week or so until she gets accoustomed to our home. I keep seeing 42" crates mentioned on this site and wondering is that large enough? She's a small female. A 42" vs. a 48" would certainly give us more room in our home. Any suggestions on weaning her from the crate?

Also, we have looked everywhere and absolutely can not find a raised feeder. I can order them on line, but really wanted it to be at home when she gets there. Will a smaller version be okay until we can get one the proper height?

We bought her an eggcrate filled bed from PetSmart and new blankets and towels to go in the bed, and of course about 20 stuffed toys, pressed rawhide bones and a new leopard print coat with matching collar and leash has been ordered. Does this spoiled little girl need anything else?

Thanks for your help!

Cruisedogs

Wow! My dogs want to come to your house!! I would order one the right height and just put the bowls on a piece of furniture at about the right height until then. I have two 48" and everyone is more comfortable in them, but I also have a borrowed 42" that came from a track closing, I have put small females in there when I have three forsters... If you switch to a 42", make sure that you donate the 48" to your rescue group - they always need more crates, since most new owners just borrow them until their dogs acclimate. Congratulations on the new family member, don't forget to post pictures!

Welcome!

I don't use a raised feeder but a rubbermaid container which their water bowl and set on top of. You could try that until you order one if you really want a raised feeder. I have seen people use a plant stand instead of a feeder as well.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest guinness_the_greyt

CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW GIRL!!!!!!!!! :yay

I can't answer your crate question (but I'm sure someone will give you some insight soon... this site rocks!)

I got my raised feeders from PetSmart... Mine are also storage bins that hold 40lbs of kibble inside them. (Which was awesome for about a year and a half until I adopted my girl who figured out how to twist off the bowls and eat and eat and eat and eat....)

Sounds like this girl is gonna be SPOILED!! As she should be!!

Make sure you purchase a digital camera if you don't have one already cuz we need PICTURES of your new girl! :digicam

Also I would hold off on the rawhide chews the first few days... Greys tend to have sensitive stomachs and when adjusting to a new home... you may want to wait. My guys LOVE rawhides!

Get ready to become a collar addict! There are some really awesome people on this site who make wonderful stuff! Hard to resist!

Guest winli02
Welcome!

I don't use a raised feeder but a rubbermaid container which their water bowl and set on top of. You could try that until you order one if you really want a raised feeder. I have seen people use a plant stand instead of a feeder as well.

I do the exact same thing and it's dual-purpose cause you can store the food in the rubbermaid container and I find the height is just perfect!

Congrats!

Guest IrskasMom

Congrats on your New Girl! Everything is ready ! One big thing to do,

is give her plenty of time to adjust to you and come out of her Shell.

Looking back on my Boy coming home, for the first few Days,he was

pretty stressed..... so give it time.

My only advise would be to be figure out what and what does not spook her. Many things we take got granted are very unfamiliar to a greyhound in a new home. Ease into it and things will be fine. Make sure the martingale is tight and/or use a harness until you have her figured out.

Good Luck and I know you will enjoy the years ahead. They are great pets. Everyone should have one :)

Rick, Joyce and Lynne Finn

Guest Brandy_b

Welcome :) Sounds like your pretty well prepared! All she needs is maybe some bling ;) Something with her name on it.....and maybe in pink...... :D

<3 Brandy & Caliloka

Pet her lots. Introduce her to the greyhound in the mirror. Pet her some more. Watch her refuse the crate and take refuge in the knee hole of a desk instead. Pet her some more.

Touch her when she's sleeping and see if she can jump fast enough to bite your hand. Resolve to not do that again.

Introduce her to windows by taking her head in your hands and pressing her nose against the glass. Clean the first nose print off the glass. Get some masking tape and tape big X's across the width of your sliding glass doors.

Turn her out in the yard every two hours. Your yard is fenced, isn't it?

Follow her around and watch her learn about the real world. Lift her off the kitchen counter just before she grabs the roast cooling there. Resolve to find another place to cool roasts.

Collapse from exhaustion after all the petting, following, and laughing.

Then go out and bring home a second greyhound to keep her company.

Paul with Bill & Elmo & angel Happy

in the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY

Guest widowcali

I used a couple of bricks as my raised feeders until someone gave me one. Then I went on the Sahalie website and ordered 2 of the raised feeders that double as storage bins (they are for travelers but I use them as my usual feeders). The beds from Costco are awesome and only $20. I would get a sheet for the backseat of your vehicle to protect it from muddy prints and travel or nervous shedding. Toys that make noise as they are being mauled are a must for my girls. They like monkeys and snakes. Depending on where you are, you might want to order a coat or something. My girls used their's a few times this past winter. Check with your greyhound group on savvy vets in your area.

And be prepared to wish the weekend was longer and that the workday would pass by faster so that you can go home to your cuddle-snuggle-wuggums! Picture frames that you can put on your desk at work are also a must. So you can look at your widdle snuggly bear while you are supposed to be working.

Guest AnnesMenagerie

Not everyone uses raised feeders - mine have them at home but not when we're 'camping' - so, I wouldn't fret about that.

Weening from the crate will depend, I think, on how well your 'alone training' is going - and what, if any, behavior issues come up. Neither of my dogs ever displayed any desire to chew things and both were perfectly happy in the house alone - so the crate wasn't necessary at all (except for Molly who prefers the crate - for her, I just took the door off and she can be in or out).

Jack was a little harder to house train than Molly - but since he absolutely refused to go into any crate, regardless of how big it was (he really takes retirement seriously), I just baby-gated him in a back room until I was confident that he was house trained.

So, I think your dog will tell you how much weaning from the crate you need to do - just take it in small steps and be prepared for some clean-up if you take too big a step. Do take extra care to dog-proof - food off the counters, chew-able knick-knacks put up high until you know his chewing preferences (mine steal the TV remote but don't destroy it, a couple of CD's weren't so lucky).

Guest TBSFlame

Mem, (greyhound number 5) eats in her crate. It takes her longer and in the crate no one else can eat her food. Feeding them in their crate also makes the crate a yummy place to be.

Guest cruisedogs

Thank you all for all the good wishes and information! I'm leaving work now and we pick her up in just 1 hour! Keep an eye out for new pictures. :rolleyes:

Cruisedogs