Romeo

Guest BoomerMom

Guest BoomerMom

Romeo came to me in September, 2006, as a special needs foster. He was seized as part of a neglect case and was not in good shape. Romeo was double tattoed so we were unable to find his history.

The first week he was here, he would cower and run away if anyone reached out to him. Slowly he learned that this was a good place and no one was going to hurt him. We knew he was heartworm positive from the beginning, but later found out that he had small cell lymphoma. Small cell lymphoma is very rare and the prognosis isn't good. He was put on Pred and it did a wonderful job of putting the cancer in remission for three months.

During this time, you would never know that there was anything wrong with that little boy. Because of his medical condition, he was never neutered and he really loved the girls. He would get very excited and prance around anytime a female was near. The other love of his life was the total destruction of stuffies, comforters and dog beds. It took a little bit of training to get him to realize that my underwear and socks were off limits and were not to be shredded into little pieces!

One of the funniest things that is unique to Romeo is what I referred to as his Stevie Wonder impression. If you scratched his back right at the base of his tail, he would get a big grin on his face, point his nose in the air and sway back and forth. I know that is probably not politically correct, but is sure was hilarious!

The decision to let him go today is one of the most difficult things I have ever had to do. We all knew from the beginning that it would end this way, but that didn't make it any easier.

Romeo will be met at the Bridge by all of the hounds that have crossed over before him. The pain will be gone, his energy will return and I'll bet there is a huge pile of stuffies just waiting to be destroyed.

I sure am going to miss him.

image.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PhillyPups

Kelly,

I am so sorry for your loss, but greytful Romeo had these 5 wonderful months with you to learn what life really had to offer him. He went on the wings of love, and you gave him those wings.

Run free sweet Romeo, your pawprint will be firmly implanted in Kelly's heart.

I'm so sorry. :cry1

Godspeed Romeo. I'm glad you got to spend some time in a good home before you left.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)