What Do I Need For My Grey?

Guest bklinker0805

Guest bklinker0805

Hi all! I'm new to the group, but VERY excited to be getting my first hound next weekend!! He's a beautiful 4 1/2 year old red boy named Flash. We are anxiously awaiting him and he will have the most loving home to live in! :colgate

That being said, I've never had a greyhound before and am feeling a little overwhelmed with all the information about them available. I've gotten some books about adopting ex-racers and read them and searched the net and found you guys (who have some GREAT and super-useful information)!

What would you recommend as a good list of starter supplies that I should have before Flash comes home?

(We live in Indiana, where it's presently about 700 degrees below zero with 5 inches of snow on the ground. We already have a large dog crate that housed an Irish Wolfhound and another 5 year old medium-sized mutt, Lucy)

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I can't wait to get Flash and show off my beautiful new hound!

Thanks!

-Bianca B)

Hi Bianca-

Welcome to GT!

I'm not lazy (really). But, Greyhound Angels Adoption sells "starter kits" for their adopters-- probably others do, too-- but this list would be a good one to start with (block copied from their site: www.greyhoundangelsadoption.com)

We now sell "Adoption Kits" so you can get everything your new furkid will need to come home with you.

Basic Adoption Kit: Midwest 42 inch folding crate, designer raised double feeder, clamp on coop cup, Petrodex finger toothbrush, Triple Pet toothpaste, and grooming mitt.....$150.00

You Save $25.00

Plus Adoption Kit: Midwest 42 inch folding crate, Designer raised double feeder, clamp on coop cup, Petrodex finger toothbrush, Triple Pet toothpaste, grooming mitt, large plush pet bed, large Kong toy, Natures Miracle, and poop scoop.....$205.00

You Save $54.00

Ultimate Adoption Kit: Midwest 42 inch folding crate, designer raised double feeder, clamp on coop cup, Petrodex finger toothbrush, Triple Pet toothpaste, grooming mitt, large plush pet bed, large Kong toy, Natures Miracle, poop scoop, Midwest Quiet Time Crate bed, and 2 plush toys.....$245.00

You Save $66.00

Compare our prices to pet stores and your savings are a lot more. Each item can be purchased separately.

www.greyhoundangelsadoption.com

copyright © 2005, GAA ... site by 100% true design

I'll start off by adding:

*muzzle-- many groups sell these

*some sort of coat/jacket/jammies are a good idea-- (see other discussions and vendor listings in Pet Merchandise). All price ranges are available.

*any old blankets or bedspreads for additional padding underneath the pet bed in the crate (if you are a crate person) or just anywhere in the house (if you are not a crate person) -- think Princess and the pea-- you can never have too many!

*nail clippers (start with the simple ones-- you can learn to use the dremel later).

Welcome, Flash, too! (We want pics as soon as he arrives).

Carol

Greyhound Fleece Jackets

Greyhound Pack: EdWin, Jethro. and Lucky; Foster Jinks; Angels Janet, Faster, Blake, Navarre, Murray, and Festus.

bed

(large round - Costco has really nice ones for $20)

engraved tag, in case of escape

(put your name, address, home/cell #s)

tag collar

martingale

(NancyB does greyt work!)

6' leash

raised feeder

(The Our Pets version is nice - Meijer & WalMart have them for about $20.)

fleece coat

(Got mine from For The Love Of The Hounds linky)

stuffies

heartworm meds

big bag o' food

fish oil

(A Dog's Dream sells Grizzly Salmon Oil. Easy, dogs love it, cuts down on shedding.)

dog license

baby gate, if necessary

pooper scooper

That would be my starter list!

Ellie

Guest david_42

Since you've had a large dog before, you really don't have to worry. About the only thing unusual is their pointy heads, which mandate the use of martingale collars. If Flash is being fostered, 90% of the "whole new world" problems will have been covered. Avoid the urge to fatten him up fast, as over-feeding causes most of the problems with diarrhea.

Edited by david_42

Guest yipee372

When we got our first all he came home to was a bag of dog food and a bed. I quickly learned that he needed something to chew on so I would suggest chew toys. And later we found out he loves squeaky toys!

Guest FatCatSkinnyDog

Bed and stuffies... the rest is just fluff ;)

It sounds like everyone has pretty much covered everything - I just wanted to say welcome to GT ... it's a great place to alleviate some of that overwhelmed feeling! There are probably 700 combined years worth of greyhound knowledge here and several answers to 99.9% of your question. Can't wait to see pics!

Guest Christina

Thanks so much for all the info, although I am not the OP, this has been a most helpful post! There are some things I had not thought about, like the clamp on coop cup (say that 3 times fast)

Guest gurehaundo

Hi! I just wanted to welcome and congratulate you on adopting your first Greyhound! I'm still very new to Greyhounds myself (we adopted our first Grey about three weeks ago). :)

Hi Bianca,

I am new also, we adopted 2 greys 2 weeks ago.

bed - go to one of the "Old Time Pottery" type home stores and get the round cushion that goes in a papasan chair.

It is large, plenty thick and easy to move around.

martingale collar

engraved tag, - Dogs name, your Last Name, Home Phone#

(this tag should NOT be attached to the "D" ring on your martingale collar, attach it to one of the metal adjustment rings)

6 foot lead

raised feeder (ditto on the4 raised feeder from Wal-Mart @ $20)

20-40 pounds of food (Pro Plan, Purina One, ...or any other high level food)

(ask the adoption agency what they have been eating and get that, it's 1 more thing they won't have to adjust to)

Plastic/Rubber grooming brush

stuffies that sqeak

tennis ball

NOTICE: Anything medical, check with the vet or adoption agency first, some flea medications can harm greyhounds

Flea prevention drops (make sure they are the kind safe for greyhounds)

heartworm medicine (check with your vet)