System Ruby Tiki (ruby)

Guest Broodmama

Guest Broodmama

4307Ruby_justwaiting-1.jpg

From Brian Lee: "SYSTEM RUBY TIKI owned and bred by Dr. Carl Ward / Hermitage Kennels, and given the System prefix. The enterprise also operates racing kennels under the name System Kennel at many tracks around the USA. Ruby began her career at Multnomah in Portland, Oregon and won her Maiden on 07-16-98 with a burst of late speed. Within her next dozen starts, she collected several more wins and found herself competing at the top grade, including special "Grade P" hot-box races. She obviously had plenty of run left at 550 yards, and could handle the 660 middle distance. Steve Bergeron her Trainer, decided to enter her in a Marathon course, 770 yard stake race. She won the Rosemary Long Marathon on 09-26-98 by three lengths.

After the Multnomah season, Ruby went straight to Mile High in Denver where she began competing well at the top grade of AA, middle distance. By

February 1999 her form began to "go stale" after 40 races over two tracks. She needed a rest, and received a two month vacation. Ruby moved to Raynham Taunton in Massachusetts and, after a few sprint warm-ups, was moved to the 770 course where she immediately began winning again! On 06-09-99 she had won six in a row, becoming one of the most popular greyhounds on the track under her Trainer, Darren Savage. During the 2000 season she was moved back to sprints, then in September back to 770's where she again tore up the track becoming nearly unbeatable on the long course. She remained a top star at Raynham, and competed in the Derby stakes in October 2001 just before retiring shortly thereafter."

Upon retirement from racing, Ruby returned to Oklahoma to begin the second phase of her career as a brood mama. She was bred to System Carl and produced her first litter in May of 2002. She then was bred again to System Carl and produced a second litter in January 2003. Her last breeding was to System MB Mo Try and those puppies arrived on August 12, 2004.

After weaning her last litter, she began the third phase of her career as a pet. On November 19, 2004 she was loaded on “the bus” headed to adoption groups in the west. Her farm almost did not send her because she had gotten caught in an opening the day before and badly abraded her right ear. She had also been off her food since her recent spay and had loss several pounds. When the bus arrived it was snowing and Ruby was the last dog off. The assistant driver told me she was “in really bad shape” and my heart sank. He carried her in his arms off the bus. Upon closer examination, we realized that the bandage that had been wrapped around her head to protect her ear and fallen down around her neck. The bloodied bandage coupled with her damaged ear and weight loss made her appear worst off than she was. Ruby settled into my home easily as if she had been there all her life. Her ear healed although it was without fur for the rest of her life. In my home she was united with her sire, Rocksteady Eddie. It was wonderful to look for similarities between her and her dad, who I had adopted 10 months earlier.

4307Ed_Ruby3.JPG

"Still waters run deep" is how I describe Ruby. There was so much character and soul once you got to know her. In April, 2006 one of Ruby’s sons from her third litter, Bigblkbillionaire (Billy), arrived in Utah. I thought Ruby recognized him but clearly she meant nothing to him! During the Kanab gathering in May 2006, Ruby and Billy raced with each other during the “Blur of Fur”. The photo below shows Ruby surrounded by her sire, Rocksteady Eddie on the left and one of her pups, Bigbkbillionaire (Billy) to her left. To me, it was so special to have three generations of greyhounds united in one place.

Family4.JPG

Ruby was diagnosed with osteoscarcoma in the right front shoulder on January 13, 2007. Her pain was unbearable despite a fentanyl patch and acepromazine. Ruby...I am so sorry, I feel I let you down. To lose your littermate, System Blak Pelt before he could arrive in Utah and then your sire, Rocksteady Eddie and you less than a year later has been so hard to bear. Godspeed Ruby.

Guest argolola

I'm so sorry. Here I sit gazing into the eyes of a pup (first pic) that I never met, and crying my eyes out.

There is a new angel in heaven. God bless you.

Guest PhillyPups

:bighug to you for your losses.

What an awesome tribute to a wonderful broodie. My heart is breaking for you.

Thank you for allowing us to know a bit more about Ruby.

I know how hard this was for you :grouphug

Ruby was a beautiful girl. I,m sure her Poppa is showing her around. :f_pink

Godspeed Ruby :gh_run

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Run free Ruby, you are loved. the tribute was beautiful. I am sorry, please find comfort in knowing you gave so much.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing Ruby's story.

I do hate cancer. It is the thief who robs us everyday of those we love.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Such a beautiful girl. I'm sorry she couldn't stay longer with you. Sending warmest hugs.

Fly away home, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so sorry for your loss. What a magnificent soul Ruby is. Godspeed Ruby, run with all of the other angels. :candle:gh_run

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest greylovinpair

Becky,

Ruby was a sweet girl and it is clear that she will be greatly missed. There is certainly no doubt that she was deeply loved. You've had a hard last couple of months and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Run free sweet Ruby...and say hello to Anna...