It's Not An Aniversary

Opals_mom

Well - I guess it's close to being six months... I really didn't think I'd still cry so often. I read the Rememberance Topic every few days I'm sure like the rest of you. I didn't visit until after Opal crossed the bridge. Now I cry along with people, and when they talk about what they're feeling - I unfortunately can empathize.

Opie will be gone six months on the 4th. I have a picture of her right next to my desk - one as the background of my cell phone, and one I can look at when I pull down the visor in my car :huh Even thought she only had me for 10 months - I miss her more than anything in this world! She did SO much for me and I know you have all had one of those...

I got Eden in November. I love her dearly! She is so sweet and cuddly. She farts ALL the time :P Not really a lady AT ALL :blush But I love her none the less. I almost feel guilty that I have a "favorite". That just feels terrible - but Eden... isn't Opal. Sometimes I talk to Eden about the things Opie used to do and I wonder if she can sense that Opal was my heart dog. Maybe in time I will feel the same about Eden as I felt so quickly about Opie. Is that "normal"? It makes me feel terrible inside that I think Opal was the most perfect, beautiful, special dog EVER! Does that go away...

Missing my bridge greys Opal and Eden and cat Bailey. Mom to Missy the Super Mutt and recent foster failure of Miley to mini-mutt.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. It's OK to think the one who's gone was perfect, and the one who's here isn't. They're all different. Opal was amazing and special in her way, and Eden will be amazing and special in hers. Just different.

Hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

i know how you feel and it's ok :grouphug i've felt the same way every time a dog's passed away and i've adopted another. eventually you'll realize that they are both special and that your feeling for Eden doesn't impact how you feel about Opal at all. you know, I miss Opal also...

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest PhillyPups

:bighug

I totally understand, it is almost 5 years since I lost my handsome Runner. I miss him so, does not mean I love Stepper, BarboeJade, Zeus, orTigerPower any less, I love them all, each are perfect in their own way. I just missn Runner for being Runner, and yes not a day goes by that I haven't shed a tear or two over him. :bighug

Guest PNWtrillium

Yah... I think you're doing it perfectly, Opal's Mom. Being *real,* which is all that matters overall.

I kinda know what you mean. I wonder if Selena is getting half a mom because I'm still with Sequoia in my mind sometimes. This past weekend, I took her to visit friends and family and every place we stopped or person we saw made me so sad that it wasn't Sequoia with me. I mean, it was great to have Selena with me -- both things were true at the same time. I'd be crying as I drove up to someone's house, then had to get a smile on to introduce Selena to them.

Thanks so much for posting this (and thanks for the responses). I feel less alone about this now.

I'm sending a hug out to Opal. Will you hug Eden for me?

Congrats on getting another grey. I"m in a personal situation where I can't adopt another for a little while, but I am looking forward to eventually getting another grey in my house as well.

Guest vahoundlover

I understand how you feel...Dolly is in my thoughts all the time..I miss her so much :( . I also dwell on a sweet boy I never got the chance to know...I wonder what his likes and dislikes where...what his smile would look like..what cuddling up on a cold night would be like...

It's not that I don't love the others, I do...with all my heart...they bring so much happiness, joy and love into my life.....I just really miss Dolly and Scrimage...

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Guest Tenderhearts

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Bart was my first hound and will always have a special place in my heart because he introduced me to the world of greys.

Lori Ann was my heart healer, my sassy saucy grand old dame who allowed me to journey into the senior years with her.

Each is special in his/her own way :)

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Guest OnecoRose

I too understand how you feel. We lost our Chloe, our heart hound at 11.5. She was very shy all along. We have her pictures out still, I think of her daily. Misty helped a lot with healing the heart. They are all precious in their own way. Hugs to you.

Chester has been gone 8 years and Polly 6. I still think of my handsome dude and beautiful baby girl every day. However, now it is always with a smile. Chester was a lab blend and Polly a brittany spaniel. Talk about different from a greyhound. I love their differences but value their similarities. It took years for me to get to this point, months is much too soon.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

I've felt the same loss. And none of the greyhounds we now have compare to the one I lost. But remember, they are still alive in our memory. When we mourn their loss, we show respect. We should always opening mourn the losses of our greyhounds as that is what they deserve. It's OK to cry when we miss them. They deserve it. It's OK to talk about them. They deserve it. And it's OK to keep them in a separate (and special place) when we move on and adopt others. They deserve it. It's OK. We love them and that is what they deserve.

I know exactly how you feel. Kona was our heart dog, we lost her Sept. 16th. She was PERFECT. No dog will ever be like her. BUT...I love my others for their own unique ways. Oh so different than Kona.

I think it is perfectly normal. I too, like so many, are waiting for the sadness to lift. Hugs to you!

The Girls

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. It's OK to think the one who's gone was perfect, and the one who's here isn't. They're all different. Opal was amazing and special in her way, and Eden will be amazing and special in hers. Just different.

Hugs.

:nod

:grouphug for you......

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest indigojen

Yep, we feel the same way, too.

Wave and Willie left us in August and September. We adopted again in September and October. They new ones are great, but they aren't the same.

I don't think we'll ever have another pair as good as Wave and Willie. It's just not possible. They left huge shoes to fill.

I don't really feel badly about it, it's just the way it is. It sure is hard to get used to new dogs, though. Anytime something weird happens or a dog is in the trash or something we laugh and remind each other "Wave and Willie don't live here anymore". We were very spoiled :blush