Pretty Has Crossed The Bridge

snowjay

Today at 3:45 my Pretty crossed the bridge.

Pretty was a very special girl to me. Not only was she my first senior greyhound but she was also the momma to my boy Cody. I'm always asked "how did you find her" and the reality is that she found me. I had kept in contact with Codys racing owner and one day after talking with him he asked me if I would like to adopt his mother, Pretty. After I picked my jaw up off the floor I said a big fat YES! From then on the wheels were in motion to transport her from the farm in Kansas to NY. That all happened on June 15th 2005. I told very few people about my special delivery as I didn't want to jinx it. I can remember that morning like it was yesterday. I was sitting at my desk waiting for "the call" from the hauler. He called me to tell me he was a half hour away and I told him I'm a little further away than that but would be their ASAP. Well I flew out of work and headed to meet him. Think I was excited? Nah, I only beat them to the meeting place! I remember when they opened the haulers doors and this little white greyhound head popped out. I knew right than that was Pretty and the name fit her well. I was so excited and nervous that I had a hard time putting a martingale collar on her. :lol We went for a quick potty walk and home we went where she was greeted with a wagging tail by her boy Cody.

Cody treated her different than any other greyhound I have had in the house, I think they knew. You could tell they definitely had a special bond, especially when they would share spots on the couch or when they would mimic and learn from each other. It was definitely a special sight to see, well except maybe at 5am when Pretty would teach Cody to ROO and get me out of bed for breakfast!

Pretty came to me at 10.5 years and despite her age she was always up for anything. Most people where shocked when I told them how old she was as she definitely didn't look or act like her age. She had gone to Dewey twice and was always ready to go for another walk on the beach. One thing that still brings a tear to my eye is our trip to the ballfield this summer where she tore around that place like she was 2 years old, yet she was nearing her 12th birthday. If you were to ask her what her favorite thing was I bet she'd say the couch, where she spent many a day and night all roached up. Well she would roach anywhere but nothing compared to the couch:) And heaven forbid if you pet her and stopped... she would let roooooooooooooooo know! :lol

Sadly, as invincible as she seemed, Pretty was diagnosed with osteosarcoma this past November. She had been slightly limping for a little over a week and seemed to be getting better. Then xrays were taken and the results were not good. She was immediately put on pain medications and she put up a great fight. But when I woke up today and looked into her eyes, I just knew. She was not herself any more and was just going through the motions. We had a good day together. Much time was spent snuggling with her and feeding her favorite treats. She passed peacefully on her bed with me by her side as I scratched her behind her ears like I had done a million times before. I'm sure right now shes looking down on us roaching up a storm on the comfiest couch they have up there.

Run free my Pretty girl, I love you and you will always be my "lil girlie", "sweetie pie", "honey bunny", "lil mama jama" and "monkey momma"

Cody & I miss you! :heart

Run sweetie, run...

150297338_e23b5c9eb8.jpg

The day she arrived...

28089734_199de264a5.jpg

Her favorite position...

28089788_e7fb4c9486.jpg

I'm pretty and I know it...

28089670_5e6c4cb9a0.jpg

Momma and son. Think they had a bond?

53146868_d2497e49d3.jpg

They must be up to no good...

57634400_8f673efa14.jpg

MMMM... Nylabones...

57634343_1307a0707d.jpg

There's that position again...

63325073_79ba5fbe0a.jpg

Queen of the couch with her favorite bear...

63324977_7198febdae.jpg

The bond...

63325099_91694a1229.jpg

Nothing was quite like the bed...

125668576_19d9a36c96.jpg

and that position...

303043280_0b91ec5cba.jpg

Enjoying the sun...

358941700_d53824e5cf.jpg

with her bear...

371244349_4bb750d63e.jpg

371244374_8148358bb4.jpg

Edited by snowjay

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay, I'm sorry.

I've so loved hearing about her, seeing her pictures. If ever a dog and a family seemed like a perfect match, it was Pretty and Cody and you. She just seemed to fit, as her name did.

Godspeed, sweetheart. Go dance with the snowflakes now.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Here's a couple of my favorite pictures from last weekend that I took.

Pretty watching her daddy outside with Cody

225438873.jpg

Giving me "the look"

224901387.jpg

Snuggle time

224901328.jpg

I will miss you Pretty!

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Jay I am so sorry, even when we know that the day is coming it's never easy

You gave Pretty everything she could have ever hoped for or wanted or dreamed of. You gave her the life of a spoiled rotten princess and please try and find some comfort in that

It truly shows how much she was loved and spoiled in each and every photo and just in how you write about her.

Again, Jay, I am so sorry, no words will ease the pain but know your not alone

GOD SPEED PRETTY :angelwings:gh_run:angelwings

Guest GreyhoundTrish

OMG! Jay, I am so so very sorry. There are no words to express it. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm completely shocked. Bonnie just PMed me. f_yellow:bighug Run free, Pretty.

I am so very sorry Jay. :grouphug

f23035c6.gif

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Run free Pretty girl.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet Pretty.

She was beautiful.

You, Cody and Pretty are in my thoughts and prayers.

:bighug

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

I am just in a state of shock! OMG I am so very sorry Jay!

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.