How Do You Get Yourself To Believe?

Guest greycollector

Guest greycollector

We have just recently fostered a Greyhound. Her name is Sadie and she is 12 1/2. When we went to volunteer our time I feel in love with her. Not knowing much about greyhounds, I didn't want to adopt, but how could I leave this beautiful grey there. I couldn't see her ending her life in a kennel, she deserved more. Now that I am attached more than ever, how do I begin to believe that she could go any day. Now I have three greys total hoping that one of the others would be there for me when she is gone. She is mommy's girl though and the boys are daddy's boys. She acts as healthy as my 5 year old grey, but I try to keep her calm so that she doesn't over do herself. How do you get yourself to believe that any day now?

Have a look for my post in everything else greyhound called for anyone who doubted the power of a senior! Its about our 13yr old foster girl Maisy this is how I felt the other day when I sat and looked at her it might be a few pages back now!!!! I volunteer for sheya in the UK and the seniors always touch my heart! Hope what I wrote helps!!!!

Lisa xxx

I don't think you should be blinded by her age. Millie slowed down around 13, but she didn't seem to be on borrowed time until she was 14. She went to the Bridge 5 months ago today, 10 days before her 15th birthday.

Every dog is different, just like every person is different. Appreciate her for what she is now. No, she's not a youngster, but that doesn't mean you won't necessarily have a few happy years together.

When Millie started to slow down, I'd cry and start to mourn because I knew what was happening, and I was powerless to stop it. In your case, you've done a brave and wonderful thing by giving her a loving home. Just be there for her. The older I get, the more I know that we're ALL on borrowed time.

Tiffanie, bless you for taking a senior dog. You received a lot of good advise

as listed above. Take one day at a time, enjoy every moment, take tons of pictures. Greys love comes from their heart, not birthday.

Big hug to you. :grouphug

Guest SomedayGrey

Obviously easier said than done.........but Sadie does not fear death, she lives in the moment. Like Millie'sMom said, we can all learn from that. All of her moments from now until she leaves you will be happier because of you, and she will always be in your heart.

My co-worker adopted a 12 year old last year. Prior to the adoption she went through the same run of feelings on her ability to cope with the loss of the dog so soon after adoption. The only answer I could give was that there are never any guarantees for a long life regardless of the age or breed. A 10 year old could easily see 5 more years or a 5 year old could only see 1. ALL the dogs need a safe and loving home regardless of their age and there is no doubt that they will return this devotion tenfold. I also told her that regardless of whether she had the dog for 1 year or 10 years her grief would be the same. Love of a companion is just that. She understood the message and adopted Surfer. He will be 13 next month and although he is a bit rickety from arthritis, he is going strong and very happy. I did note that this dog changed her life and their bond is amazing to see. She no longer fears the inevitiable but lives and enjoys him for the time they have. He is a wonderful ambassadog for our adoption group and she is proud to be his mom. Please do not let the age of a dog deter you from adding a wonderful companion to your family. Best wishes. :)

tn_greyhound002.gif

Willow & Trace

Butch (11/94 - 7/16/08) Hayley (11/96 - 1/13/09) Merlin (11/12/95 - 5/29/09)

GPA - Central New Hampshire

Guest Lisa_n_Dusty

Hey Greycollecter!! Why are you trying to believe any day now? As you said, she is healthy. It is one of the things I never thought of. I knew Dusty was old and loved him even more for it. I enjoyed everyday with him and always thought everyday he has is going to better than the last. I gave Dusty a wonderful life and he died happy. What else could any of us, man or beast ask for? You just give that young girl a hug and extra kisses every day and as long as she knows your love and feels security she also will die happy and you will cry and you will miss her and you will know that she also died happy. God Bless you for taking in an older grey. They need love too!!