Hannah Ate Chocolate!

Guest hannahmom

Guest hannahmom

Just got home and went upstairs to find a big box of dark chocolates filled with alcohol all over the hall

( Damn DH - I'll talk to him when he gets home :angryfire

I immediately knew that it was Hannah, not the boys - some things you just know

I immediately fed her hydrogen peroxide. She gagged and gagged and gagged but wouldn't vomit, so I dosed her again, and obtained success. Thank goodness

Please, check your supply of hydrogen peroxide, make sure it still bubbles and that you have enough for 3 doses for each dog in your house. It is truly a lifesaver!!

A warning to those who has never had to use HP - there is a LOT of gagging and when they vomit, they really empty.

She's resting at my feet. I called the vet to ask what I should be looking for, because I don't know what time she ate them and some may have been absorbed. They reassured me and told me what to watch for.

Again, check your hydrogen peroxide supply right now - not later, not when you get up to go to the bathroom but now.

I almost didn't have enough to dose her the 2nd time

Edited by hannahmom

Guest greytmonty

I am glad Hannah is ok. We just went through this with Monty over Christmas week. He ate 24 chocolate bars and a chocolate Santa. :o We didn't know about HP but called our vet who immediately had us dose him. Thank goodness we had HP! Now we will make sure we always have some.

I hope and trust Hannah will be fine. Keep us posted.

I too went through this at Christmas but did not give HP; they did not get into dark semi sweet chocolate. Thank you for the reminder. My bottle is full; I use it on their gums on a regular basis. I hope Hannah is feeling well quickly. She will be fine.

Guest GracieMae

How much did you give him and how did you get him to take it?

So glad you were able to catch him before things got really bad.

Thanks for posting...

Guest hannahmom

Thanks for posting...

She got roughly 1 tsp ( 1 cap) and then another of the same 5 minutes later

There was no time for being nice. I pried open her mouth, pointed that needle nose in the air and poured. Then I stroked her throat till she swallowed.

The gagging commenced almost immediately

Thank goodness all is well! Feel better soon sweetie. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest GracieMae

Thanks for posting...

There was no time for being nice. I pried open her mouth, pointed that needle nose in the air and poured. Then I stroked her throat till she swallowed.

Thank you so very much....I never heard of that before and it sounds simple and effective. Glad to hear all's good on your end.

Glad Hannah's OK. We had to induce here tonight as well. I think my H202 was a bit flat - it took quite a bit to get the desired effect but we had success. *sigh*

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Hannah, you twerp. You must be related to Betsy. I put some vet wrap on Betsy's happy tail yesterday--because I'm sick of cleaning blood spots off every available surface--and then went to the basement. Five minutes later, the vet wrap was gone, and I had to get the peroxide out.

Thanks for posting...

You can use up to 1 teaspoon for each 10 pounds of body weight, at least according to Petplace.com on Inducing Vomiting. I can't bring myself to use that much, but the less I use, the more likely it is that I have to do it again. I keep a squeeze bottle (from CHX Rinse (doggy mouthwash)) with the peroxide.

Thanks for the tip re bubbling; I hadn't heard that.

Another tip from Petplace.com: use the 3% solution, not the hair strength stuff.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest savvyprchick

I just had to use this on Lulu three nights ago and called our e-vet to get the dosage. She's around 65 pounds and they told me to use 2 tablespoons. They said if she didn't vomit it all up in 15 minutes to do another dose.

HP is a definite must-have!

Hannah, you twerp. You must be related to Betsy. I put some vet wrap on Betsy's happy tail yesterday--because I'm sick of cleaning blood spots off every available surface--and then went to the basement. Five minutes later, the vet wrap was gone, and I had to get the peroxide out.

Thanks for posting...

You can use up to 1 teaspoon for each 10 pounds of body weight, at least according to Petplace.com on Inducing Vomiting. I can't bring myself to use that much, but the less I use, the more likely it is that I have to do it again. I keep a squeeze bottle (from CHX Rinse (doggy mouthwash)) with the peroxide.

Another tip from Petplace.com: use the 3% solution, not the hair strength stuff.

Guest KennelMom

Oh yes! H2O2 is a lifesaver!!! A must when you have dogs! We've had to use it a handful of times with our crew :rolleyes:

We have a variety of syringe on hand that are also used for worming, but honestly, most of the time we don't measure we just open the mouth, pour a bit and let them swallow. You usually can't get more than a couple tbsp in their mouth anyway.

H2O2 is so inexpensive that I pretty much consider it a one dose thing...once it's opened I consider it a done bottle.

Guest FullMetalFrank

I get mine at Costco in the big bottles. We use a lot as antiseptic for the humans (me and DBF always have owies of some form or another from work) I have never had to induce vomiting but it's good to know we've got it on hand. I believe in keeping a pretty well stocked first aid kit.

Guest hannahmom

Morning update:

Hannah Boo is subdued, but otherwise fine this morning.

She's not geting breakfast this morning so that I can ensure that all the chocolate has passed through before I add more food

This morning, I'm off to get more hydrogen peroxide

ugh...i hope you got her outside before she vomited. loca puked all over my bed after her dosage after she ate dark chocolate. i gave her 1 tbs.

glad hannah is feeling better. i think we got stuck with the same dog :lol:weep:lol

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Good info about H2O2!

Spiff got into some chocolate last year, but he didn't eat enough to warrant inducing vomiting.

This is some info I found helpful from TalktotheVet.com:

Using a dose of 100 mg/kg of theobromine as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:

1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate

1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate

1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate

Glad to hear the pups are ok!!

Guest LuckyGrey

Glad Hannah is ok. Princess ate a pound of fudge and ended up at the hospital over night. We have plenty of peroxide and a baster now. We couldn't get the peroxide down her throat.

Guest greytmonty

Thanks for posting...

Our vet had us use 2 tbls (!) for Monty and repeat the dose up to three more times. We had to dose him all 4 times. he was ok and it was needed to get the chocolate and foil and paper up. MOnty weighs 78 so that ratio above might be right! CHeck with your own vet obviously.

I keep a squeeze bottle (from CHX Rinse (doggy mouthwash)) with the peroxide.

Now that is smart! I'm off to the drugstore today - think I'll get a new bottle of peroxide *and* a squeeze bottle!

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest junebug

Thanks for this post! I never realized how important it is to have hydrogen peroxide around or how to use it. My new dog, June Bug is a real chow hound and I am sure would not stop at any quantity of choclate left out by accident. I will check my H2O2 today!

Sally

• 9 months later...

Thank goodness for this site. Little Miss Reddy just ate a polymer clay witch figurine and I couldn't remember the dose of HP to give her. She vomited everything after 2 doses and now she looks very sorry for herself. She must have 30 toys to play with and she took this off a table. Naughty little girl... but glad I spotted that it was missing and saw the teltale signs on the bedroom floor. Whew!!!

We need to act responsibly toward the plants and animals with whom we share the world, who have no voice, but whose presence make our world a blessed place.

"We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words." Anna Sewell "Black Beauty" 1877

Bobbi, Rick, Reddy, Jenny, and Kat ...Bethel, CT.

Falcon, Romeo, Addie, Shiloh, Frosty, Stormy and Sunshine waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Greyhound Rescue and Rehabilitation..Cross River, NY