Quick Hi

Guest JustBreathe

Guest JustBreathe

Hi,

My husband Rick and I live in Houston and just adopted from Gulf Greyhound Park over Christmas. Golly Miss Molly is not two yet and apparently failed racing school. The papers from her racing kennel owner reported that she wouldn't chase the lure...which works for us as we have a cat. Molly is very shy and skidish but very much a puppy when she gets into her comfort zone.

She is doing really well with the cat (12 yo Tequila is queen of the house and lets Molly know it). Molly and happy owners have a lot of learning to do. We are working on eliminating the potty accidents, and some of the trash diving and counter surfing. She finally master the stairs. After a week of coaxing she wouldn't do more then putting her front paws on the first step. My husband toted her up several times so that she could get familar with with the rooms on the 2nd floor, including the game room which we spend half our time in. Finally one night I tried leaning over next to her, holding her close while lifting each 'locked stiff' leg one at a time up one step at a time. The next day, to our surprise, she attempted and made it up on her own. I then had to work with her one leg, one step at a time to show her that she could go down too. Once we got to the bottom, it was so cute. She was so proud of herself that she bounded up and down several times just to show off and get the praise and attention.

Even though we are each previous dog owners, we are still trying to figure out the best brand food, treat/rewards, discipline method, toys, exercise routine, etc for Molly. Considerations like pet door or no pet door, what kind and size, when can we stop crating while we are not at home, etc. ...So this site is great...a lot of real experiences to read and learn from.

I'll try to add pictures of Molly and our family as soon as I get more familar with the new camera I got for Christmas....that gift came with a owner's manual but Molly hasn't given me a chance to sit down long enough to read it :P

Later all,

Tanya (Rick, Molly, & Tequila too)

Welcome to Greytalk. For every topic of concern that you raised, you will find many threads dealing with each. :)

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Welcome! :welcome I agree that you will find invaluable information on any and all questions you may have as you help your greyhound adapt to her new surroundings. Looking forward to pictures!

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Guest JustBreathe

Thanks everyone for all the wecomes!

I'll get a few pics of Molly on here this weekend. She is a black girl with white chest, paws and tail tip....oh and a touch of Glidden Dapper Tan here and there (from stealing the paint brush and rollers a couple of times while giving us a hand with our xmas break painting project :) )

Edited by JustBreathe

Guest ellieb

Welcome, welcome, welcome!

We are dealing with the stairs issue. We "chipped" in November and got Indigo. She will not come down to the LL family room. Stairs are carpeted and enclosed. If DH carries her down or forces her to the first/second step, she will do the rest and come up. We've tried coaxing with toys and treats. No luck.

See? Your are doing better as a newbie than a two-year veteran!

Guest KennelMom

:welcome

My husband fell in love with greyhounds watching the races at GGP...We managed a visit when we were passing through the area a couple years ago :)

Can't wait to see pics of your girl!

Guest JustBreathe
Hi and Welcome from Florida! I'm curious about your username!

It comes from a line I picked up from that Drew Barrymore movie, 'Ever After'. Since, several great song have also used the phrase. I had a series of extremely stressful circumstances in my life in recent years and 'just breathe' kind of became my mantra.

Guest JustBreathe

Finally a couple of introduction pics. Meet Molly....

Molly being 'a big help' with folding the laundry

IMG_0022.jpg

Puppy is me

IMG_0030.jpg

Smile for the camera

IMG_0043.jpg

Hi, Tanya - welcome to GreyTalk!

Where in Houston are you? We are in the Clear Lake area. We have two tuxedo greys. All three of our houndies were adopted from Gulf.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Guest PNWtrillium

Love your user name, also. Didn't know about the movie or songs, but I use the reminder myself -- usually followed by "...and out, too!" ;-)

Your pup looks like a sweetie, and is certainly showing you how smart she is. Welcome to your entire family!