Sequoia

Guest PNWtrillium

Guest PNWtrillium

I'm still too raw to write a proper Remembrance for Sequoia, my first greyhound, so I'll just write what comes to mind. I write this on the two-year anniversary of the death of Dancer, my sweet Collie, my first heart dog.

Sequoia was born, raised, and raced in Oregon. After 12 races, she was adopted and then rehomed about 3 1/2 years later. I received her as my first greyhound foster, and knew within days that I wanted to adopt her. That was at the beginning of June of this year.

We travelled, camped, walked, romped, and, one summer evening, mingled with hordes of non-greys at a downtown event for dogs and their people. She met and loved my human friends and my doggy friends. We met greyhounds and their folks. (What a wonderful bunch!) We went to adoption events and organized one in our area. We attended greyhound picnics locally and distant. We found GreyTalk. We lazed around in the summer sun and played in the shade. We met her mom and "aunt" (a Rhodesian Ridgeback) and their human. She met my step-dog, a Golden Retriever, his GR-mix sister, and their human, as well as members of my human family and their pups. We visited her breeders and the farm where she was born and raised.

She started limping in late July or early August. By November, x-rays showed that the head and neck of her right femur (thigh bone) were deteriorating rather quickly. A biopsy wouldn't have been conclusive and likely would have caused additional damage. The prevailing tentative diagnosis by three vets with greyhound experience was that it was probably cancer, even though the site was a very rare location for cancer.

Tramadol blunted the pain. We re-visited all the dogs and people who had become her friends. We spent as much time with greys as we could. We invented a ball-tossing game with her laying prone, so she wouldn't have to use her hip joint. She still loved to make that ball beg for mercy! Outside, she just couldn't help the occasional small zoomie, but would allow me to direct her into the house after one spin. We did our best to live fully until she died.

She was euthanized in my arms two weeks ago this morning by a very compassionate emergency vet, in the back of my little car, in the 35-degree, pre-dawn Oregon rain. I had her for six months and five days. She was six years and three weeks old.

I miss her pure delight when I came home from work. I miss the grand zoomies around the yard whenever the spirit moved her, transporting me to pure joy no matter what mood I was in. I miss seeing her entice her greyhound friends into yet another romp after an hour-long walk. I miss seeing how well she learned that I didn't want her to chase the cats we saw on our walks, how her straight-up ears would almost quiver with the effort of holding herself back.

I miss our quiet times. Her offering her tummy for rubs and more rubs and more. Seeing her balance on her back with arms outstretched like a ballet dancer, which would retract as she fell asleep, requiring restretching to keep her pose. I miss laying beside her and feeling her breathe. I miss the sight of the nest she would create on my bed when I was gone. I miss her letting me know with her eyes and her actions that she trusted me beyond all question. I miss her beautiful face and her beautiful soul. I am truly blessed to have had her in my life. She will always live in my heart.

I am grateful to the members of Circle of Grey for unconditional support during this time, to my local grey-people for understanding and caring, to Sarah for calm in a crisis and help throughout, and to Joni for everything.

Run naked, my dear girl, as free and as joyful as you were born to. No collar or muzzle, no leash to hold you back. And no more pain.

Marcella

Dec 22, 2006

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry. :grouphugf_yellow The Remembrance you wrote for Sequoia is absolutely beautiful. Cherish the memories you have of her and she will be with you always.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

What a very lovely tribute to a beautiful soul who touched your heart deeply. The love you share is very special, and is untouched by her passing. :beatheart:bighug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

:( I am so sorry for your loss. Run fast and free beautiful Angel Sequoia. :grouphug:f_pink

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest argolola

Tears are flowing as I read your loving tribute to your special angel. Many times I have admired your signature pics of the 2 gorgeous pups.

May God bless you and heal your broken heart. Love never dies.

Edited by argolola

Your tribute made me feel your love for her and your sorrow both. I'm so sorry she couldn't stay longer.

Run with the wind, beloved girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FullMetalFrank

I am so sorry; and I am sad that I never got to meet her. Sequoia; go and look for a grey named Iberia, he's red, like you, and he loves to run. I'll bet he'd love a race or two.

Don't forget to send your Mom a rainbow now and then; and if you do meet up with Iberia, remind him to send a couple his Mommy's way, too.

:grouphug:grouphugf_yellow

Im so sorry :grouphug :grouphug

Kim, mom to Reno (Slatex Reno), sister to Daffy (Bally's Flack), Ashley and Sue (racing names unknown), and Bridge kids Strider (7/28/94-4/16/05), RW's Dallas (12/17/98- 06/26/2010), Odd Taylor (aka Lizzie), JC's Curfew (4/6/2005- 4/22/2010), Winnie(Pooh Bear)my heart dog, and Rocky the beagle

Guest SkinnyLegDogLover

Six months is not enough to us, but to Sequoia, it was a lifetime of loving and being loved, and she crossed the bridge feeling this.

Your tribute is beautiful.

f_yellow

I am so sorry. I know the heartbreak is terrible. I've just gone through it. Will be thinking about you.

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

I'm so sorry. I too know how it hurts. We had our lovely Susan for only just over five months. Obviously she already had the beginnings of the kidney cancer which took her life, but it wasn't diagnosed until the day she died, at the vet school where we'd gone for a referral.

No matter how short a time we have them, we love them just as much. No matter how long we have them, it's never long enough. :bighug

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop