Seven Years Ago Today...

retiredracers

and just over 5 months ago, I lost her!!! I have tried so hard to not cry today at work but several times the tears have started to flow. I just can't believe that my Crooked dog isn't here with me. She was supposed to be with me for so much longer.

I am really horrible at expressing my feelings in words but I miss her sooooooo much. We were together all of the time. For the last four years, we went everywhere together... work, vacations, home visits, adoptions, everywhere. She was wonderful and sweet. She had fans all over Richmond and after her death, my group, Central Virginia Greyhounds, received nearly $900 in donations in her memory.

I adopted Crooke because a dog I was fostering (and going to adopt) died after her spay surgery. I had had Belle for a week when she died in my arms. I was devastated. She was the cutest, silliest little greyhound. A dark brindle who was stinky and covered in ticks (well over 100 and probably close to 200) when I brought her home. I decided less than 2 weeks later that I HAD to adopt another greyhound and wanted one with a silly personality. Dennis Tyler (from GPA-Central Florida) picked Crooke out for me. I met the truck that day seven years ago and saw Crooke from across the parking lot. The lady holding her walked towards me and Crooke saw me and started this wiggling walk and I knew from that moment that we were meant to be together. Then I saw her face... she had this Crooked nose with a scar at the end that left her nose slightly deformed but I didn't care. She was perfect in my eyes.

She had a laceration on her back leg that had happened on the ride up so off to the vet we went to have stitches put in. She stood on the table while the doctor sewed her up and never flinched. Then, we went to see my sister who insisted I stop by her work so she could meet her new niece. I went in to get Sonja and Greg stayed outside with Crooke. When I got back outside, Crooke was surrounded by about 6 small children. She was loving it. Kids were her favorite. She just loved them. I always said that it was a shame that Crooke hadn't gone to a family with kids because she was sooooo greyt with them. BUT I am so glad that she came to me.

Crooke attended so many events that being at an event was like being at home. She was so comfortable anywhere (well, except for on shiny floors... that was one phobia that I couldn't get her over). I swear she could have slept through an explosion. I worked for a spay/neuter clinic who used to have a booth at the Virginia State Fair. Crooke was considered the unofficial mascot for the clinic and if I was at the booth (which was just about every day of the 11 day event!), Crooke was there with me. She would just flop herself down in the middle of the booth and sleep the day away. Tons of kids would come to the fair and I can't even count how many times Crooke would be swarmed with children. They would pet her, hug her, lay on her (gently) and she sucked it all up. (Of course, I knew she was greyt with kids but I wanted to yell at the parents/guardians since they didn't know she was good.)

I planned all of my vacations around Crooke. She has even been to Disney World. She wasn't allowed in the park but she did get to ride the parking lot tram which made the other park visitors look twice. Next spring, we were going to visit NYC. I thought it would be fun and I thought she would enjoy it. Maybe someday I will visit but it won't be the same without Crooke.

I threw a birthday party for her last March. She turned 11. She had 24 greyhounds, 1 saluki, 1 beagle, 1 GSD and a hound mix at her party. I was planning a much bigger affair for her 12th birthday.

I just can't believe how much I love her and miss her. There are times when I can think about her and remember the good times and just feel good that I was so lucky to have her in my life. There are other times that all I do is cry. Right now, I am sitting at work and tears are just streaming. I want to yell and scream and say it isn't fair. I didn't have enough time with her. I didn't even get a chance to fight the cancer that killed her. It was a fluke thing that she died from. I should have been able to save her but I wasn't. I would have done anything for her but I didn't have a chance.

But maybe that was the way it was supposed to be. Maybe Belle died so I could find Crooke and maybe Crooke died so I could have Elphie. But I still wish I had my Crooke!

Here are some pictures of my girl:

On the beach at Dewey last year

CrookeNecklaceBeach.jpg

Soaking up the sun from the comfort of the couch

de913a41.jpg

With me in Philly park this March

CrookeSheila.jpg

Laying on the beach with Snake

Crooke_Snake3.jpg

By a lake near Philly

Sheila_Pictures005.jpg

In her Easter bonnet

Crooked.jpg

Close-up on the beach... look at that face!!! Only a mother could love!!

Crooke_Beach.jpg

Playbowing on the beach while digging a hole in the sand

CrookeBeachPlaybowing.jpg

Sunbathing

Crooke_Grass.jpg

Picture taken under the desk at work... made it in the 2006 CG desk Calendar in March

Crooke.jpg

I have to admit that I was feeling pretty crappy earlier but after writing this, I feel much better. If you managed to read it all, thank you. Sorry it was so long. I think it was needed therapy.

Sheila

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Guest greytgirl

:grouphug It just sometimes helps to write things down doesn't it :grouphug Im so so sorry for your loss of this absolutely stunning girl. That pic of the close up on the beach is just :wub::beatheart she really is a true beauty.

Run free sweetheart. :gh_runner:f_pink

Edited by greytgirl

Guest Machbragal

Life isn't fair -- you are right. But there's one thing that is just wonderful any way you look at it -- that Crooke had someone like you who loved her so very, very much. What a very special gift that was to her! And, remember -- love is forever. The story isn't over, just waiting for a wonderful reunion.

She looks so darn HAPPY in each picture...she must've loved her life with you! :grouphug :grouphug

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Crooke looks so alive and so full of love in each picture. something you can hold on to and treasure forever. She will forever live in your heart which is truly her forever home. The picture of her head on the sand at the beach is beautiful. I felt like you could see her breathe. Oh my gosh, it is stunning, it captures such a pure moment. Know in your heart she was loved and loved you to the fullest. She wants you to be happy. :)

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest Winterwish

:bighug I read this beautiful and very special post last night Sheila,and was just so,so moved by how much you love Crooke,and she,you.

So beautiful those pictures are,of your lovely girl Crooke. :heart

Sending hugs and love from me and Dreamer. :f_pink

What a beautiful Angel. :grouphug I am so sorry...I and so many of us here know how much you hurt. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Thank you so much for posting her pics and telling about her. What an amazing, sweet, special girl! Perhaps she is busy now, gathering up all the skinkids and furkids for a trip to the Disney World over the Bridge.

Sending hugs, and hoping the sweet memories outweigh the sad ones for you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What a fitting tribute to a lovely girlie. We enjoyed meeting her at Dewey. She reminds me so much of Chloe.

Big hugs to all of you. I think we get to be better people for the wonderful creatures that share our lives. They teach us so much in such a short period of time.

Kim, (PW's) Nate Dogg and Chloe (TJ Zorabell) - always in our hearts, (Racey) Benson and Polly (Racey Pauline)

allpups.jpg

NaturallyGrey Email List

I can't even think of the "right" words to say as I sit here with tears rolling down my cheek.

Darn, this world can be so cruel ! But, you have many wonderful memories of that sweet girl ! And those you will always have !

It seems like it was just yesterday that I was sitting here reading about Crooke when she was sick and I was crying, the boys asked me what was wrong and when I told them, they said prayers for Crooke and made her a card, I still have it on here:

getwellcrooke.jpg

She even made an impression on 5 and 8 year old boys ! She was a very special girl !

Here she is with the boys at the Easter parade at Stony point this past Spring:

EASTERBONNETPARADE021.jpg

She has such an elegance about her !

EASTERBONNETPARADE006.jpg

And here she is meeting baby Molly and posing for a group photo (or trying)

EASTERBONNETPARADE012.jpg

She is certainly missed Sheila but will never be forgotten, her spirit will live on through many !

mollysiggy-1.jpgemmasiggy-1.jpg

Guest PhillyPups

What a beautiful tribute to a splendid lady. I can see how she worked her magic into your heart and how you miss her so. Thank you for letting me know Crooke.

What a beautiful, awesome tribute to such a beautiful lady! I love the pictures of her in the hat...she is such an elegant lady. I love her colording. I saved some of the pictures to my screensaver! She looks so peaceful in the pictures, a sign she was truly content to be in your presence.

Obviously this was true love between the 2 of you...and I want to thank you for sharing it with us.

I know your heart is breaking today, its part of growing. Whenever you feel that little tightness in your chest...its just Crooke roaching in your heart. She's nestled there forever.

:f_pink:beatheart:gh_lay:beatheart:f_pink

Guest judechet

Sheila, that is a beautiful tribute to a gorgeous little lady. The tears do come and they will continue to come. You have to love deeply to hurt so much. I "lost" my Sean in June of 1999 and I still cry over him. We were together for only 51 days but those few days were enough to give me so many wonderful memories. And, I know Sean and I will be together again as will all the greys who became part of my life, part of my very existence. Crooked and you are both blessed.