How To Handle Holidas

Guest kajhensley

Guest kajhensley

Hello everyone, We are getting our first grey on December 3rd. I was wondering how to handle Christmas with family coming and one night my work party is at my house. I don't want to overwhelm her or scare her. I have her crate in my bedroom so she does have a place to go. Suggestions please. YOu all always have such comforting advice.

Hopefully you'll have some time to see how your new baby does in the house before company comes.

Do not put her in a closed room. Let her have accesss to the room with her crate and baby gate the doorway.

If she is loose in the house, absolutely put signs up on each door to the outside for that door to be opened cautiously and closed securely.

Secure any gates outside and post warnings there as well.

Give her plenty of exercise before the company comes.

My Oliver doesn't like my small grandchildren so he is always babygated away from them. Since you may not know much about your new girl, consider every safety precaution.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest IGdevotion

Congratulation on your first greyhound.

(I'm far from knowledgeable about greyhoounds, but having a crate in a private room is sounds perfect to me. Once you learn more about her, I bet it all falls into place.)

Guest artur_ganate
I have her crate in my bedroom so she does have a place to go.

Hmmmh, she will be three weeks with you then - don´t worry too much.

Maybe she will enjoy new situations like this, and if not, find her a place such as your bedroom to calm down.

What we do is throttle the stereo `cos loud noises irritate her (and especially the cats) :blink:

Dominic

I would really recommend not nec. gating her off from the party--but gating her away from the door(s) that will be opened. Things can happen, people forget even with signs... That's just my suggestion to make it go easier. :)

Jayme with Pippi (the scaredy-beagle)
In the memories of all of my Bridge-babies I'd like to remind people to choose adoption--and that it's not just dogs and cats that are available!

Guest KennelMom

If you decide not to crate her while having company, PLEASE be sure you MAKE SURE she can't escape from the house. Saying hellos/goodbyes, people running to get things from their car, stepping outside to smoke...these are things that cause doors to be left open. Doors that a greyhound - especially a new greyhound - may run out of.

DO NOT trust or believe that ANY of your guests will remember that there is a dog in the house and that they shouldn't leave doors ajar. It is up to YOU to make sure your dog can't escape. Personally, I'd leash her to me or put a baby gate at all the entrances/exits.

Ultimately, you will have to judge based on your individual dog's personality whether or not she can handle a big social event at your house. If she can't, crating her is probably your best/safest option. If she's a social butterfly, then I'd let her join in the festivities.

edited to add: I would NOT rely on signs on doors to keep her safe. Especially if there is any alcohol consumed by any person. Also, once a person sees a sign they tend to not "see" it anymore. It becomes part of the background.

Edited by KennelMom

Make sure she's wearing her tags too - just in case she gets out.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest GreytfullDad
If you decide not to crate her while having company, PLEASE be sure you MAKE SURE she can't escape from the house. Saying hellos/goodbyes, people running to get things from their car, stepping outside to smoke...these are things that cause doors to be left open. Doors that a greyhound - especially a new greyhound - may run out of.

DO NOT trust or believe that ANY of your guests will remember that there is a dog in the house and that they shouldn't leave doors ajar. It is up to YOU to make sure your dog can't escape. Personally, I'd leash her to me or put a baby gate at all the entrances/exits.

Ultimately, you will have to judge based on your individual dog's personality whether or not she can handle a big social event at your house. If she can't, crating her is probably your best/safest option. If she's a social butterfly, then I'd let her join in the festivities.

edited to add: I would NOT rely on signs on doors to keep her safe. Especially if there is any alcohol consumed by any person. Also, once a person sees a sign they tend to not "see" it anymore. It becomes part of the background.

I think Heather read my mind :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

It is my experience that most greyhounds will adjust well to things like this and be very curious about your guests. Make sure she gets a good long walk before the festivities to burn of excess energy and I highly recommend the leash at least in the beginning, not only will it give you more control of her but you being on the other end of the leash may make her feel more secure. B)

Guest kajhensley

Thank you so much, people will probably be going in and out for smokes, so far we are having a mild season here in Kentucky, so they may go out just to enjoy.

Guest KennelMom
Thank you so much, people will probably be going in and out for smokes, so far we are having a mild season here in Kentucky, so they may go out just to enjoy.

No problem :) I learned from experience on this one....I was actually at my parent's house with my two greygirls at the time (we spent every Sunday over there). My mom cracked the back door b/c something in the stove burned and when I came downstairs and saw it my heart freaking stopped. She said she didn't hear a dog come downstairs or walk through the kitchen so she was sure everything was OK. It wasn't. My Hanna had sneaked out the back door. Thank GOD she was still within earshot of my voice and came running back to me.

Since then I've learned not to leave my hounds' safety to anyone but myself. I always assume someone will leave a door or gate open.

Have fun at your parties!! Let us know how she does :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kajhensley

No problem :) I learned from experience on this one....I was actually at my parent's house with my two greygirls at the time (we spent every Sunday over there). My mom cracked the back door b/c something in the stove burned and when I came downstairs and saw it my heart freaking stopped. She said she didn't hear a dog come downstairs or walk through the kitchen so she was sure everything was OK. It wasn't. My Hanna had sneaked out the back door. Thank GOD she was still within earshot of my voice and came running back to me.

Since then I've learned not to leave my hounds' safety to anyone but myself. I always assume someone will leave a door or gate open.

Have fun at your parties!! Let us know how she does :)

JUst an update, Dixie did great at the party. If I was busy one of my friends held her leash and she was fine. She slept on her bed in the den and enjoyed all the love and attention. I stayed close to her so she was comfortable. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

That's wonderful news! Good girl Dixie!

tiny hada siggy.png