Ideas For A Gift For Friends Who Lost Their Dog

Guest 2greytdogs

Guest 2greytdogs

I just found out that some good friends of mine lost their senior dog on Monday. They knew he wasn't going to last much longer, but they figured at least a few more months. I'd like to send something to them, but am having troubles thinking of what would be appropriate.

Ideas I've had.....

- a garden stone with name or prayer/saying

- a picture frame for their favorite photo (dog themed - or "friends" themed"

This is all I can think of. Any thoughts?

Guest 2greytdogs
I like to send a donation in their dog's memory to a rescue group or shelter.

Linda, Flash, Keeva the lurcher and Valor the galgo

Oh!! Good thought!

Guest Kestral337

One thing I've done for friends who've lost pets is the Cynthia Rylant books, Cat Heaven and/or Dog Heaven. Of course, these are not appropriate gifts for agnostics or atheists.

A donation in honor of the lost pet is always appropriate too.

I always give a donation to the group the dog came from in their memory or if it was from osteo or something, give to Hope for Hounds. A garden stone or picture frame is a beautiful idea as well. A simple card sends a message of you care as well.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest LuvXRacers

I like to print out the poem "Rainbow Bridge" on the popular rainbow paper, and have across the top "Dedicated to Fido" (or whatever the dog's name was), and put it in a pretty frame.

I'm sure whatever you choose will be considered very thoughtful.

:hope for your friends.

I like to send a Rainbow Ring from Northcoast Greyhound Support. They send a portion as a donation on to the Morris Cancer Foundation and then the funds are matched from the Greyhound Project. It is a very lovey package with a notecard enclosed. No affiliation, just had the unfortunate opportunity to have sent some. I don't remember, but I think the cost was around $25.00.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest greytmonty
One thing I've done for friends who've lost pets is the Cynthia Rylant books, Cat Heaven and/or Dog Heaven. Of course, these are not appropriate gifts for agnostics or atheists.

A donation in honor of the lost pet is always appropriate too.

I was going to recommend the same. We are not religious at all but I found these books so comforting and beautiful. you could do that in addition to a donation in their names.

Guest greymouse

When we lost Zelda, we received two letters from the OVC (Ontario Veterinary College) stating that two of our friends had made donations to the college in our Zelda's name. Each time I got the letter, I was so touched to think that they would do such a thing in honour of her, that I just stood and cried! It really meant a lot. A friend from our greyhound group organized a fundraising walk in Zelda's honour and called it "Zelda's Legacy". She contacted the Vet college and found a doctor that was doing a study specific to cancer and made sure that all the donations gathered at the walk, went to his project at the college. Lots of friends helped with it and a good amount of money was raised. Even though it wasn't something that I can see every day, the memory of it and all the people who participated, and knowing that something good could possibly come from the research that was supported, will be with us a lot longer than anything else.

Guest argolola

These are wonderful ideas. When my friend's dog (non-grey) passed away, I sent a donation to Guide Dogs for the Blind in the pup's name and they sent a letter to my friend.

I've given friends a matted pic of their pup, matted with a nice greyhound drawing (usually greeting cards I buy at Dewey) - I have a nice one of a grey upp in the sky with stars that works well. Then I take a gold or silver marker & put the pet's name & dates on the bottom...

If you can cut mats, it makes a good gift.

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

I agree to a donation in honor of their beloved senior

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

I agree to a donation in memory of the loving pet. When Susie died I send a donation to the group that we adopted her from in her memory.

I received a figurine of a white greyhound from someone on greytalk. It looks just like Susie who was all white. The figurine is in a prominent place in the living room.

PRINCESS
ANGELS: SUSIE (BANDIT SUE) 3/26/1991-5/13/2006, TIPPER (MPS KRISTINA) 7/23/1999-2/4/2008, LADYBUG (BB'S LADYBUG) 5/19/2005-7/9/2008,
HAPPY 12/2000-10/9/2013, RICHY (DON L RICHY RICH) 11/5/2002-5/17/2015, DARREN 9/24/2005-3/2/2017, TUCKER (AWESOME ABILITY) 12/29/2004-12/4/2017,
BUG (BB'S DANCING BUG) 5/19/2005-11/17/2018, Dee (KIOWA DIANDRA) 10/9/2007-6/20/2022, Buddy (PJ PLUTARCH) 11/21/2013-9/8/2023)

Guest GreytfullDad

Without knowing the story it is hard to get specific , but I think a donation based on the dog, maybe to a senior group or the broodmommas, or if health related to a cancer research etc would be a greyt legacy of rememberence.

Guest PNWtrillium

There's a wonderful little book called "My Personal Pet Remembrance Journal," by Enid Samuel Traisman, M.S.W., that can be filled in to create a kind of history of the person's/family's relationship with their pup. I got one for myself when Dancer died and found it quite healing to memorialize my girl. It would make a tremendous gift.

http://www.petloss.com/journal.htm or Google for additional ways to purchase

Guest SquanHound

Another idea is that this time of year you can find ornaments that hold photos - perhaps one with their dog's photo in it would be nice. I received one when I lost my OES - each year, while it does get me to tear up, I take it out and remember my best bud.