New Member; Potential Gh Owner

Guest aujulie

Guest aujulie

I am new here. Thanks for letting me come in! I am a potential GH owner because DH and I are in the process of building a house and won't be able to one until we move in. I've wanted a GH for years. I have been living in "no pets allowed" apartments so far. DH and I are scheduled to move into the house around January. I don't see that we would actually have our dog until March (move in time, have to build a fence, get all the necessary dog stuff - beds, crates, food, etc., the adoption process...). I can't wait!!!

We live in Auburn, AL, so we will have to travel to get a GH. No adoption groups any closer than Birmingham or Atlanta. Although, both of us are from Mobile and I wouldn't mind working with them if we can. We'll see. Anyway, I love the discussions here and hope to be part of your ranks soon!

Thanks!

Julie

Guest aujulie
:welcome It's SO nice to meet you!! I'm a grad student at Auburn. My parents live down there now.

Are you Auburn fans or just where you happen to live?

Heck yeah, we're Auburn fans!!! :D War Eagle!!! We are both Auburn grads and just decided to call Auburn home. We love it here! We have one orange striped tabby cat named - go figure - Tiger.

So, does this mean our potential GH has potential GH friends to play with in town???

Guest aujulie
I have been living in "no pets allowed" apartments so far.

That isn't exactly true. I thought I should explain. We live in a "no dogs allowed" condo at the moment. The real beef of this situation is that my dad owns the condo and we already had Tiger when we moved in. While he is okay with the masses of hair that Tiger produces, he has denied any arguement for us to get a Greyhound. :angryfire The really crappy part of this situation is that he says "Greyhounds are terrific dogs and will be a great pet. I just don't want one in the condo". That makes me want to hit him!!! :angryfire:angryfire:angryfire

Whatever. We will be out of here soon! :)

Thanks for all the nice welcomes!!!

Welcome to GT!

I've wanted to adopt a greyhound since I was really young...I finally got my chance when dh and I bought our house four years ago. :) And my dh, who is so not a dog person, fell in love with greyhounds as a breed. Now we have two pups and do a lot of volunteer work with greyhounds. Just be patient, and it will happen! And, in the mean time...maybe you can find a way to volunteer with a group or to meet others in your area with greys and you can get grey-fixs until you are able to have your own!

Jayme with Pippi (the scaredy-beagle)
In the memories of all of my Bridge-babies I'd like to remind people to choose adoption--and that it's not just dogs and cats that are available!

Hey, I'm in Auburn, too! Welcome to GT! I'm in a condo as well and I've got two greys. :P They're awesome apartment dogs, but it makes sense to wait to adopt, especially since you're already in the process of getting a "real" house. I won't be in Auburn long, though. Two more weeks and I'm moving back home. Good luck with the adoption and war eagle!

Guest greytdame

:wave:welcome

Hey & Welcome!!!!!! I'm in Mobile and we have a greyt website where you can look at our available houndies when you're ready. Of course the Mobile group will work with you - no doubt! We also have play dates monthly so you can come get a fix when you need one. Greytalk is a terrific place to hang out and discuss these gorgeous fur kids. Remember, when you get your grey, photos are a MUST :P Best of luck on your move. So glad you're here. Oh, and most importantly,

Warrrrr Eagle

Guest aujulie
Hey, I'm in Auburn, too! Welcome to GT! I'm in a condo as well and I've got two greys. :P They're awesome apartment dogs, but it makes sense to wait to adopt, especially since you're already in the process of getting a "real" house. I won't be in Auburn long, though. Two more weeks and I'm moving back home. Good luck with the adoption and war eagle!

Really?!? It's too bad that you will be moving! :( I have been hoping that I could find a permanent resident here with greys. Who will my dog(s) play with?

:wave:welcome

Hey & Welcome!!!!!! I'm in Mobile and we have a greyt website where you can look at our available houndies when you're ready. Of course the Mobile group will work with you - no doubt! We also have play dates monthly so you can come get a fix when you need one. Greytalk is a terrific place to hang out and discuss these gorgeous fur kids. Remember, when you get your grey, photos are a MUST :P Best of luck on your move. So glad you're here. Oh, and most importantly,

Warrrrr Eagle

War Eagle! So gald to know that you are in Mobile. We sill haven't decided who/where to adopt from. I'll tell you that Mobile groups have been more friendly and helpful than any others (their adoption fee is pretty low :) ) We'll see what happens.

We sill haven't decided who/where to adopt from.

Call Victoryland. The track is only 30 minutes from Auburn - Exit 22 of I-85. Of all the places to adopt in the area, they're the ones that need to get dogs out the most (from what I understand) because they don't have an active adoption group on the property.

Guest Kipsmom
Really?!? It's too bad that you will be moving! I have been hoping that I could find a permanent resident here with greys. Who will my dog(s) play with?

I will be down there often! We'll get ours together to play as soon as you have yours! :D I'm looking at jobs in Montgomery, Auburn and Opelika so maybe something will turn up. ;)

Guest aujulie

We sill haven't decided who/where to adopt from.

Call Victoryland. The track is only 30 minutes from Auburn - Exit 22 of I-85. Of all the places to adopt in the area, they're the ones that need to get dogs out the most (from what I understand) because they don't have an active adoption group on the property.

I would love to start working with them in some volunteer capacity, but they are very disorganized and aren't very receptive to outsiders. I would take a dog from them, but I have pretty much decided that we should adopt a foster because of our cat. I don't know if I am up to being on cat-alert with my first grey. Maybe the second time around (see, I'm already thinking of my second dog :colgate )

Really?!? It's too bad that you will be moving! I have been hoping that I could find a permanent resident here with greys. Who will my dog(s) play with?

I will be down there often! We'll get ours together to play as soon as you have yours! :D I'm looking at jobs in Montgomery, Auburn and Opelika so maybe something will turn up. ;)

Good luck in your search! I would love to met you and Kip whenever you pass through town! What field are you in? I hope it isn't a rough interview process...

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

WELCOME :)

We have bookings at Birmingham and Mobile but soon to be closing down our Mobile booking :)

Victoryland since they don't have an "official" adoption program is not the easiest to get a hound from.

If your thinking about getting a hound that has been fostered then Gwen Gay down in Mobile might be your best bet.

The adoption kennel at the track at Mobile doesn't have dogs out that are fostered, they are just kenneled I believe.

Guest greytdame

The group in Montgomery is brand-spanking new and a satellite of the Mobile group. Gwen Gay could help you with the Montgomery folks or the Mobile folks. In Mobile, we do foster dogs from the Mobile track when their adoption kennel is full. In Montgomery, they only have foster homes, no adoption kennel. Gwen is certainly the person to contact. Go to www.gpasa.org and you can see the Montgomery site from there. Gwen's phone number is also on that site. Best of luck whenever you're ready!!!!!!!