Introduction Potential Greyhound Owner

Guest cabrerad

Guest cabrerad

Hi All,

I wanted to introduce my self and also ask a question relating to my application for adoption. My name is David and I live in MD with my wife, two whippets (Jasmine (21 months old) and Rebel (16 months old)) and two birds. I have wanted to adopt a Greyhound for some time and now in a position to do so. I looked at several rescues in my area and went to a few meet and greets. I recently attended a meet and greet with an organization that I clicked better with that another one I had interacted with a while back and decided to send in an application. I was recently called about our application and had a pleasant conversation with the organization representative. I was a bit surprised by one of the things discussed, however. The representative said that their coordinator recommend against lure coursing and asked me if this was a requirement of mine ( I mentioned my whippets lure course and straight race). The representative mentioned the potential for fighting in track rescues (is this the case vs say a dog who has only straight raced or lure coursed?). I also wonder if they had a problem with lure coursing vs other types of racing such as oval or straight racing. It’s not an absolute requirement of mine, but I did think that if I adopted an uninjured dog capable of doing so it would be fun to have my whippets and greyhound course on those days I went to such events (as long as the greyhound liked it). I didn’t want to talk more about it with the representative (other than mentioning it wasn’t a deal breaker) until I had time to think about and get some input (I did schedule a home interview, during which I can obviously ask more questions) on the subject. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Guest lizmego

You will get responses from both sides of the fence on this issue. I don't really have an opinion, for I know nothing about lure coursing. But just wanted to warn you of the opinions of others who will be adamently opposed to lure coursing as well as the folks on here that do lure course. I hope "LynnM" and "OnRushPam" see your post, for they are active in lure coursing and run a greyhound adoption group in Florida.

Good luck!

I see no problem with lure coursing an ex-racer as long as you know FOR SURE that the dog wasn't injured on the track. The lure coursing events I've been to the last few years have featured ex-racers. To be safe, you might want to muzzle the dog whenever it runs since the dogs that make it to the track tend to be pretty competitive and to be safe, muzzling will help prevent any injuries to other greys running.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

David,

I'm going to send you a PM... but, the short answer is, there are LOTS of retired racers enjoying lure coursing, straight racing and oval racing every weekend!

You are already running whippets, so you know a lot of the details. Greyhounds are somewhat different and require a bit more care/attention/conditioning. But, you and your greyhound could have a lot of fun on the field.

Edited to add... I have NO idea what they mean about "fighting"! Either the dog runs clean or it doesn't. As far as I can tell, competing in amateur events has NO bearing on dog behavior in the house/pack. Well, maybe it has the effect of making the dog tired, which equates to quiet... a VERY good thing with a young, active greyhound!

Well, I TRIED to send you a PM, but your inbox is full!

Edited by onrushpam

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

Guest cabrerad

Onrushpam,

I just joined so I have no idea how my inbox would be full. Must be some sort of error as I could not pm you either. You can send me an e-mail at cabreradavid @ hotmail .com (remove spaces). Thanks for the input from everyone so far!

David

Guest KennelMom
Well, I TRIED to send you a PM, but your inbox is full!

He doesn't have enought posts to pm.

Pam - who has tons more experience in both areas than myself (adoption AND coursing!) - I'll agree with her statement.

And here's my two cents: I know one group around here that definitely prefers adopters do NOTRA or LGRA because they believe ASFA has too much potential for injury....My personal opinion is that it depends on the dog and the dog's build. I don't think every NGA dog is necessarily cut out for ASFA...just like I don't think every NGA dog is cut out for the other types of coursing/racing.

The group here in SC that we used to work with has a board member that is very active in coursing and kinda helps nuture that in adopters if they are interestted and need advice. She's the one who got me started, really.

So basically - you will find groups all over the place on this issue. I too have NO idea wh at they are referencing to about fighting. I'd LOVE to know more about that :rolleyes: Sounds like, maybe, someone had a bad personal experience with the sport and carried that over into their adoption philosophy. :rolleyes:

If you want to course your grey I'd say go for it and make sure you adopt one that is suitable for coursing. Start talking to experienced greyhound coursers (like Pam and Lynn) about how to course a greyhound and how they're different than whippets.

Good luck and welcome to the board!! :welcome I LOVE whippets and would love to see pics of your crew!!

We work in Maryland and have 3 or 4 adopters that I know of that Lure Course their dogs :) In fact, we've worked with the track to get good candidates that were definitely not injured for those people. Their dogs are doing great and really enjoy it. I can't imagine where the "fighting" comment came from :dunno

Guest KennelMom
We work in Maryland and have 3 or 4 adopters that I know of that Lure Course their dogs :) In fact, we've worked with the track to get good candidates that were definitely not injured for those people. Their dogs are doing great and really enjoy it. I can't imagine where the "fighting" comment came from :dunno

Our girl Melody is a Greyt Expectations pupper AND has the potential to be one of our best coursers :D:thumbs-up

Guest cabrerad

Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions. It is very much appreciated. I decided to send a nice e-mail to the rescue group for clarification and will then take it from there. For those who wanted to see pictures of my whippets, I have some pictures ( I need to update a bit as they have grown some since) on my website:

http://www.cnidarianhusbandry.com/our_whippets.htm

Thanks!

David

Guest ChrissyB

I am NOT a fan of Lure Coursing. There is no guarantee your gh was never injured on the track. You may not get ALL the information from them, and the adoption group only knows what they are told as well.

Your gh has been "petted out". Turned over to be a companion pet. Retirement and a comfy couch is what they desire now.

If your gh is a bounced dog, he/she may have been graded off the track a long time ago and is no longer in the best physical shape. Muscles that look fabulous may not be prime for coursing.

Just my :2c

Guest cabrerad

Again, thanks to everyone for their opinions, on either side of the issue. The rescue representative assigned to our application got back to me tonight. They are very prompt. She said she wanted to clarify what I was told about lure coursing. Apparently the rescue representative made the fighting comment in reference to having the dogs running around together in the backyard or taking a car ride together, not coursing per se. She said that she did not have experience with coursing, but was conveying the opinion of the lead coordinator. She said that the lead coordinator's opinion was that she does not recommend lure coursing with the rescue track dogs as they may have had soft tissue injuries that the rescue or even track owner might not know about (similar to one of the comments above). As such, she said they may be more predisposed to injury during coursing ( I am assuming more so than anothe dog with a known history). The rescue representative added that they were not saying we couldn't attempt to do lure coursing, but that the coordinator did not recommend it. So that explanation makes more sense than what I understood previously.

David

Guest cabrerad
Your whippets ARE gorgeous!! Welcome from Maryland!! Whereabouts are you in MD?

Thanks everyone for the compliments on my whippets. I also think they are prety darn cute, but I'm pretty biased. Ozgirl2, I live in Montgomery Village right next to Gaithersburg.

David

Wow! Your whippets are gorgeous! I especially enjoyed the pictures of the two snuggling together. It just melts my heart to see sugglers. :wub:

Jayme with Pippi (the scaredy-beagle)
In the memories of all of my Bridge-babies I'd like to remind people to choose adoption--and that it's not just dogs and cats that are available!