Sadly, I Did Not Get Approved To Adopt From Brga. They Have

Guest Ayla

sent me a letter according to the e-mail. I really can not understand this. :huh At this point I am really hurt and confused. I actually feel like crying :sad1

I'm sorry to say this, but the people I was dealing with seemed mighty persnickety. They really seemed to feel that they were above me. I know that they feel that their mission in life is to give a grey to the Bestest Home Possible, but I'm not sure what better home I could offer (perhaps being married and in a house with a yard). I also think (even though i assured them that I wouldn't) they thought I would bring the dog to work. I work at a Residential Treatment Village for Abused children. We have 59 children in 6 group homes and we are located on a 270 acre former horse and cattle ranch in VA.

I see pictures on this board of everyone with their dogs in their ordinary homes (much like mine), and I just can not fathom getting rejected.

I know that everyone has told me to check out other groups, but I'm not sure that I can deal with being reject like this again (even though it would be worth it if I get a greyhound, eventually).

I just Love this site :wub: and I will continue to frequently be here to view the beautiful pictures of your dogs. Keep posting your goofey and beautiful pictures.

A Friend

April M.

That's so harsh. I can't believe that they rejected you thru email! What kind of person does that?

I'm thinking about applying this week but I've been afraid of being rejected. I know how it feels when it seems like they're above you, when I first starting asking the adoption group about greys it was awkward weird. One of their adoption reps told me to come back in 4 years when I was more settled. Gahh.

Even now since we've moved I'm afraid of being rejected. We have a yard now, there's going to be one person home with the dog 98% of the time but I'm still afraid. It's because of how old we are(everyone in my household besides my dad is 18-21) and I think that might be used against us.

I am so completely sorry about you being rejected. I hope that you do apply for a greyhound again from a different group in the future. I absolutely DON'T THINK that you're beneath having a greyhound. I think that they were just being jerks.

Momiji

Guest DogDayzGreyz

Was there an explanation? My experince is that no group will just turn you down without explaining why. Many groups do insist on a yard so if that is it, then don't take it personally, just like many groups don't adopt to people with small children. It is just thier regulations. If it is the yard thing, when looking for another group ASK first if this is a problem. Most groups tend to do an email screen first, then a phone then a home visit (leastways, this is how it is done in Canada). If having a greyhound is truely what you want, you can drive almost anywhere in the US and adopt one straight off the track....good luck! :)

Guest longdogs

Look, it sounds crazy to me. I don't know the circumstances or the rationale behind the adoption group's policies, but it does appear to me that some groups are over-protective. A sensible group would have helped you pick a laid-back hound with minimal SA problems, well able to cope with being left for a working day. Many of us have greys that manage perfectly well under this regime and they're not really different from any other dog in this respect. As for taking your dog into work, I'm not even sure it should be any concern of theirs, whether it was your intention or not. Being rejected hurts but let's face it, it's just one of life's little games and it's no big deal. Find yourself another agency, tell them straight away what the 'issue' was with the other group and ask them to help you solve the problem. There are plenty of greys needing adoption and also agencies that operate in the real world.

Guest loveagrey

Try another group. I've heard that some groups put unreasonable demands on the adoptees. There are SO MANY greyhounds in need of a loving home. Don't give up!! I'm sorry it didn't work out for you this time, but don't be discouraged. Keep trying!

Guest PhillyPups

Iknow the group you are speaking of and they are a very good group. You may want to take their name off the header of this post as they have quite a few members here, and if it was my group, I would defend it. Again it is a good group whose philosophy is to place greyhounds in good homes.

Sorry I am not giving the :bighug response, just that I am surprised to see a group name up there.

Guest greytmonty

I know you are hurt, but it would be worth it for you to contact someone at the adoption group and ask them to let you know why you were rejected for adopting a greyhound. If you ask in a straight forward, information seeking way, they should provide you with feedback so you can understand their thinking, even if you do not agree. that information might be helpful if you decide to approach another group. For example, if the yard was the deal-breaker, then you could ask the next group if that is a requirement, right up front.

I would try to use this experience to improve your chances with another group, by getting accurate feedback.

good luck!

Edited by greytmonty

Guest mountain4greys

I don't know where you are in Va., but check out our group.

www.greytdogs.org We don't put our noses up, at our group it is All about the Hounds. We just look for good homes for greyt dogs. If we're to far, another group will help you.

Jimmy :D

Guest FatCatSkinnyDog

Wish you could PM!! I agree with the others... try a different group! Where are you in VA? Look at Greyhound Rescue Inc. We too are all about the hounds and getting them good homes. Good luck! Don't give up!

Edited by FatCatSkinnyDog

i don't know your circumstances but there are some groups that have standards that few people could meet. look for another group and see what happens...

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest RubysMom

I know that it was not a unanimous decision for us to be approved by our greyhound rescue group. :( When we were told that, I was hurt, at first. We have small children and we do not have a fenced yard yet. We were told by the same group last week that they would not let us adopt another grey until we fenced our yard, as well. Other groups in our state won't even consider our application because of our kids/yard. I think it is sad when a blanket disapproval is given, as it seems to exclude some folks who would be greyt owners, but I suppose that is the right of the adoption group. They are the ones doing the work, they make the rules. We are ok with that, even though we wish it was different.

I agree that you can approch the group and ask specifically what it is you need to do to be considered to adopt out to. If you feel that it is unfair, try another group. But the negitive reply via e-mail does sound harsh to us. Good luck to you, we hope you get your grey soon!

Lisa & Ruby^v^

Guest memadeit

Keep looking for other groups. When I first started looking, there were groups that did no fence, no dog. Another was kids, no dog. Another was long periods alone, no dog. Apartments, no dog. The group I ended up using, was the opposite of the other groups. It will take a while, but keep looking and you will find the group for you. When I first started thinking of getting a greyhound, I would have been turned down just from where I was living at the time. But don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions to the group yourself to get a feel for them. I went to a meet and greet they were having BEFORE I decided on the group. We emailed back and forth for about two months before hand. I say, ask them why not so you will beable to "fix" what they saw if there is anything.

But don't give up.

Keep looking for other groups. When I first started looking, there were groups that did no fence, no dog. Another was kids, no dog. Another was long periods alone, no dog. Apartments, no dog. The group I ended up using, was the opposite of the other groups. It will take a while, but keep looking and you will find the group for you. When I first started thinking of getting a greyhound, I would have been turned down just from where I was living at the time. But don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions to the group yourself to get a feel for them. I went to a meet and greet they were having BEFORE I decided on the group. We emailed back and forth for about two months before hand. I say, ask them why not so you will beable to "fix" what they saw if there is anything.

But don't give up.

You should definately consider Greyhound Rescue Inc. I am not biased but as an owner of 2 greyhounds with a small child, they were definately willing to adopt to us. Also, good friends of ours live in an apartment and they were approved with no problems.

Don't give up. Ask the group that turned you down exactly why they refused you. Perhaps there is another group that has different adoption rules and/or the reason you were denied is fixable. I have no knowledge of you or the group that refused you, but different groups have different rules.

One group that I highly respect has a rule that you MUST have a fenced yard. In my personal opinion there are lots of greys that can/do live happily ever after in a apartment, but that is their rule and I respect that. Other groups refuse to adopt to people with preschool kids. There are dogs out there that love kiddos, but those groups have had bad experiences and they can make their rules.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

First of all, welcome!

Second, take a deep breath and ask WHY you weren't approved. If it's something you can't fix, you'll know what to ask the next group before you get started thru their process.

Most adoption groups mean well and try to consider people and pups both. Every group has a different experience, though. Some may have had bad experiences with people who don't have fences, others with people who have very small children, etc.

Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I know your pain.

I was rejected before I even put an application in.. all I did was call and ask, but because I worked 8 hours and lived in a apartment building... I was told they wouldn't even consider me.

I found a different group, asked again and now I have four wonderful puppers (we've since moved into a house with a fenced yard).

I'd try again :)

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Here are some things that various groups look at, not all and not all the time. How long during the day will you be absent from the home--will you have a dog-walker if it is a longer than normal work day? Is your yard fenced?---if so-- is the fence strong enough and/all tall enough. If your yard is not fenced, are you absolutely committed to walking your dog through all sorts of weather?--I don't even mean long walks, but potty breaks when it is 40 degrees out and raining. These are just a few of the things, and some of them are very changeable--if not immediately then down the line. Ask the group. Okay now I am going to be really mean. But only because you sound like you would be a very loving dog owner. Is there anything about your situation that would prevent You from from adopting to You? Look at you from their viewpoint. Again it probably isn't you, but may be some aspect of your current situation.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Guest Brandy_b

I wouldn't worry too much! SOme people are just overly picky, you can always try another group :) I hope this hasnt turned you off getting a grey! They are really awesome pets!!

<3 Brandy & Caliloka

When we were looking to adopt, we "shopped" for a group. A lot of the groups in our area required a fenced in yard, which we didn't have, and couldn't (i.e. couldn't put a fence up) because of our HOA. So we looked for one that would adopt to people who would walk their dog several times a day. We were also hopeful that we could find a foster group as well, instead of having a dog "ordered" for us-- we wanted to meet the dog along with Sebau, our dal mix, to make sure that they got along. We DID find a group (actually a couple) that would work with us. Since it would involve loss of volunteer time, we picked one to work with and they were great. :)

To start out, I would first try to see WHY they said no. Is it because of the yard? Work? Get a reason.

Then, talk to other groups. If it's something like no fenced yard, there are plenty of groups that do adopt to people w/o yards, that live in condos, apartments, etc. :)

If you really want a grey, DON'T give up. :)

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

Guest DoneRacin

Sounds like the adoption agency you wanted to adopt from needs to read the "My Odd Pups" Thread in the "Cute & Funny Things Greyhounds Do" forum.

:goodluck I am keeping them crossed for you.

Guest albrodie

It seems from your previous post that you know the reason why they won't approve you - the fact that the dog would be alone more than 6 hours. There are many folks here that work 9-5 type jobs and have to leave their dogs for more than 8 hours so there must be some groups out there that will accept that. I think it is good that some groups have restrictions. There are those that will adopt to almost anyone and that just isn't in the best interest of the dog. Also, if you don't have a yard, think about how often you may have to take the dog out on a leash and in what kind of weather. Our fenced yard is really small but I don't think I could handle it if I had to walk them everytime they had to potty, but that's just me. Good luck and keep trying. Having a greyhound is a truly wonderful and rewarding experience.

Guest CygnetC

It sounds like from your post that they sent you an email that said "You've been rejected, it will be explained in the snail mail letter we sent" am I reading that right?! That just seems very wrong to do it that way. It would make far more sense to me to call you and explain fully, and then send you a letter so it's in writing.

Either way, different groups have different specifications, so just go around and see what group requires what. The group that I got my hound from said they wouldn't adopt to anyone under 25 (I was), not to anyone who didn't have a fenced in yard (I don't) and not to anyone who wasn't a home owner (I'm not). But because they had the ability to look past those things and see that in spite of it all I would still be a good and responsible owner, I got to adopt the love of my life. So don't give up, find a different group, or figure out a way to sell yourself better, show the group that you CAN do it even if you don't meet all of their specifications.

Edited by CygnetC

I read on another post that you are in Fredericksburg. Here are listings of other greyhound adoption groups in the area:

GPA-Richmond (website)

GPA-NoVA (website)

Greyhound Welfare (website)

Greyhound Rescue (website)

Virginia Greyhound Adoption (website)

Without knowing you or your home situation, I cannot guarantee you'll have success with another group. However, different groups do have different requirements. Like others have said, I would contact the group that turned you down for more information.

Good luck!

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest KennelMom

Did they give you a reason? I have to say, it seems pretty crass to do it via email...especially since they've already met you face to face and did a home visit. A phone call would have been more appropriate at that phase of the process.

I know we are only getting one side here, but if the only reason was because you work, then I'd try another group.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest Kipsmom
Also, if you don't have a yard, think about how often you may have to take the dog out on a leash and in what kind of weather. Our fenced yard is really small but I don't think I could handle it if I had to walk them everytime they had to potty, but that's just me.

I've had a greyhound for 7 years, I've had a fenced in yard for 6 months. It's worth it regardless of the work and weather. I was a 20 yr old college kid in an apartment when I applied for Blue. I'm so glad the group didn't have such harsh restrictions.

Keep trying, talk to people here, there are tons of great advice and options! :)