Hi, I Don't Think I'll Be Getting A Greyhound And I'm Disa

Guest Ayla

I had my home visit tonight. All went very, very well... Until they got to the part where they really want someone to be home to walk the dog after 6 hours. :sad1 I just am not able to do that. I work 35 minutes away and can not come home during the middle of the day to walk the dog.

My collie does just fine while I am gone.

Also, I have looked at a dog walker, but that is just too very expensive for me.

I'm really sad right now because I wanted this so very much and this group seems to real sticklers.

Oh well..... I'll probably have to worship from afar.

I'll let you know what happens. I should know within a week.

Ayla

Guest mountain4greys

Yeah, I wouldn't worry, if this doesn't go through, the're other groups that will tell you to just crate your dog when you're not home. Good luck, and keep looking. :gh_bow

Guest Kipsmom

:welcome

Don't let it get to you! You'll find the group and hound for you. :) Kip is home 8-9 hours a day alone, he does just fine! Most people and groups understand that people work and most people work 8-9 hour days, not 6. :)

Hang in there!

I'm sorry, but that is just stupid. PLENTY of people work all day and their greyhounds are just fine. Your group should work with you to find a dog that they think would be ok with your schedule, not automatically dismiss you as an adopter.

Please, if you want to get a greyhound and this group says no because of this reason, keep looking. There are so many greyhounds who need homes and one is just right for you. Good luck!

Guest kaotic1

HI. Did they specifically SAY you weren't approved or just warning you? My group wasn't overly pleased with the four cats situation but they never said i couldn't have a dog. Just that the could not guarantee the dog etc. I second the advice of the others... if they say no... then find another group.

I think part of the counselors job is to really make you step back and think one more time about what getting the dog means. IF the agency you are going thru only adopts to people that are home all day they have a very LIMITED pool of adopters.

Guest TBSFlame
I'm sorry, but that is just stupid. PLENTY of people work all day and their greyhounds are just fine. Your group should work with you to find a dog that they think would be ok with your schedule, not automatically dismiss you as an adopter.

Please, if you want to get a greyhound and this group says no because of this reason, keep looking. There are so many greyhounds who need homes and one is just right for you. Good luck!

I only work part-time and my greyhounds are never alone more than 4 hours but my male, Beecher only goes out after breakfast and again after dinner. 2Xday unless I make him or take him for a walk. He must have a bladder the size of TX. I know lots of folks that work all day and there greys wait. When I come home I will often try to get my pack out to potty and when I open the door they all run for the back bedroom. lol. If you really want a greyhound, keep searching.

Guest PhillyPups

It is not a no till it is said no. SO why don't we wait to see what happens? I got my first, and second while living in an apartment, I work all day and now have 4. Let's sit and see what happens.

IF this is the ONLY reason for a denial (and I have to believe it would be) for the first time EVER I would suggest trying a different group. Usually groups have stronger reasons for turning down an applicant, and I think most groups are more interested in getting GOOD homes for the hounds than anything else.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

QUOTE(Brandy_b @ Nov 9 2006, 10:07 PM) 2421910[/snapback]
Yes if they dont approve you another group probably will! My group says about 8 hrs alone is ok :)

<3 Brandy & Caliloka

You may want to be careful as there are some groups that are pretty cavalier in their policies.

A prudent group will probably work harder to assure a good match.

I got my Grey 3 days after she left the track, I've got a lot of expereince with Greys and dogs in general so I felt it wasn't a lot of risk. You need to honestly asses how much risk you are willing to assume. Keep plugging away you'll get there someday.

Guest KennelMom

Welcome! If the time alone is the only reason for denial, then I'd find another group. I've adopted from lots of groups and never had that stipulation. But, as others have mentioned, wait and see what happens. I can't imagine the group would adopt out many dogs if they only adopted to homes who had someone home to let the dog out every 6 hours.

When I was single and had to, mine did fine alone for 9 hours a day while I was at work. It may be an issue as dogs get older and can't hold it for as long...then again, our 14 year old would only go out twice a day if she had her choice.

Guest rememberingSadi

My Kipper has THE bladder of steel. When fireworks are going off outside during the 4th.....he REFUSED to go.....14 hours later! :eek :eek :eek

Our hounds do just fine on 8 hours...even our boy Griffie who has the bottomless bladder... :lol

Guest GreyDogsRule

I think that the right Greyhound is out there for you. Some of them are fine alone or with another dog all day. Some just don't fit well in such an environment. Hopefully the adoption group will find the perfect hound for you and your situation.

Good Luck

Guest MotherofBaby

When I went looking for a grey I was very honest that they had to match me with a dog that could stay home all day. I was so happy that they were able to match me with Baby. Then I got Tony a few months later. I crate them while I am away at work. I walk them 2x in the morning and then right when I or my teenager gets home. they get walked a couple of times after that too. I live in an apartment with 2 cats! You should be able to find the perfect match if you are patient!

Guest PNWtrillium

Ayla, it occurs to me that they might have had a particular hound in mind that needs to be let out more often. Or they may be thinking of the transition between wherever their adoptables live before getting a home. Any chance you can take a couple of vacation days before and/or after a weekend so you can ease the dog from its old schedule onto your new schedule?

Best of luck with this. A home without a greyhound is an empty home indeed. (And please hug your Collie for me!)

Guest Brandy_b

Caliloka only goes out twice a day. Maybe thats less than most dogs go, but if I take her out more she wont do anything. She goes out in the am and after supper/work. And I was only suggesting she find another group if thast the reason for denial...... I just dont think thats much of an issue...............

<3 Brandy & Caliloka

Mydecai and Chester are fine home alone all day. My husband lets them out when he gets up and then I let them out before I leave and then I let them out the minute I get home. There has never been a problem

QUOTE(Brandy_b @ Nov 10 2006, 10:18 AM) 2422521[/snapback]
Caliloka only goes out twice a day. Maybe thats less than most dogs go, but if I take her out more she wont do anything. She goes out in the am and after supper/work. And I was only suggesting she find another group if thast the reason for denial...... I just dont think thats much of an issue...............

<3 Brandy & Caliloka

Don't get discouraged. Like Pat said, they haven't said no as of yet, and if they do go to another group. There are groups out there that realize someone has to work to buy kibble and stuffies. :)

Another option if you have a fenced yard might be to have a neighbor come over and let them out. I did that when I worked 10 hour days pre dog door. It was a fraction of the cost of a dog walker -- I paid her $3 a day.

Good luck and keep us posted.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest ohgreyt
:goodluck Good luck! I just got my girl last weekend and of course I work, single mom, etc. I'm surprised they approved me. Mira isn't too happy when I leave but she is slowly getting used to it. The adoption group lent me their crate to leave her in. She is doing fine. I do know how you feel however. Last summer I tried to adopt a catahoula who had been rescued from Katrina. Oh how I love this dog. They told me I was approved then changed their minds after they learned more about my schedule and lack of dog door, and a couple other things I found minor. Anyway, good luck and maybe if it doesn't work you can find another group????

Guest hamiesmom

Hi and welcome. I agree with most, if not, try another group. I usually have to wake my boy up whether its first thing in the morning or when I come home from work. He has gone for 10 hours, however, it is usually only about 9 hours. Good Luck.