Waiting For Our 1st Greyhound

Guest kajhensley

Guest kajhensley

HI we are waiting for our first greyhound. I have wanted one for years and finally decided to do it. So I'm very excited. the kids are too. Since I"m new to this I would appreciate any advice. I'm debating on what I need to start. We have the raised dog bowls, getting a bed and waiting to find out the size of the grey to get a crate. I just want to make the transition to our home as pleasant as possible.

Guest Brandy_b

Welcome!! You'll find tons of good info in the Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies book, and here on gt. There are also tons of wicked cool vendors on here too ;) Can't wait to hear more about your coming grey, and pics are required :P

<3 Brandy & Caliloka

Guest kajhensley
Wonderful news and welcome to GT. I am Linda from NC and I am slave to 5 delightful greys.

HI Linda, I'm Kim from Kentucky. Still waiting.

Guest nitetap

Welcome!

My one suggestion for you: When getting a crate for your greybabie remeber that he/she is much longer and taller than other breed of dogs of same weight. I came across this issue when I made the purchase according to the crate box size chart. Nite only weighed 62 lbs but the suggested size crate was too short. Although greys can coil in to an incredible little mounds you want to make sure that they can comfortably turn and stretch while in the crate.

Guest mountain4greys

Welcome!!!!!!! Greytalk is the coolest place to be. It has everything.

Crate wise, you can't go wrong with an xtra large. You'll be collecting stuffies to for you grey. :yay:yay:yay:yay

Guest neworleansmama

We bought the typical airline crate that they sell at Petsmart. This was totally the wrong crate for my dogs. Talk to your adoption rep before you waste your money on the wrong crate.

My crate was used one week (under protest) by my female and my male has never been crated. So with one dog you may not need a crate. Perhaps you can borrow one for a while.

We bought the typical airline crate that they sell at Petsmart. This was totally the wrong crate for my dogs. Talk to your adoption rep before you waste your money on the wrong crate.

My crate was used one week (under protest) by my female and my male has never been crated. So with one dog you may not need a crate. Perhaps you can borrow one for a while.

I cannot second that enough. If you must crate a wire crate is usually better than a varikennel. You can always "close in" a wire crate with blankets, etc. but you can't "open up" a plastic crate. If you want to crate see if your group can loan you one.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg