Hi, I'm A Newbie Here!

Guest Ayla

A Big hello to everyone. I am in the process of adipting a retired racer. I live in Fredericksburg Va and am going through Blue Ridge Greyhound Adoptions. I have interviewed and went to a meet and greet today. All of the dogs at the meet and greet were with their people/owners. I brought my 11 year old Collie mix to the meet and greet to see how she would do with a greyhound. She did beautifully. I will be having a home visit on Thursday.

I'd love to know what the interviewers are looking for when coming to my apartment. Size? They joked that they need to find out if I'm running a meth lab out of my place.

I don't know what kind/color/age of girl I will be getting. If I am able to get one. I would love any dog they pick for me.

This group has no fosters for me to meet right now and a dog will have to be driven up from Gold Coast.

I hope to meet people from the Fredericksburg area to have play dates with, (someday soon I hope).

Generally how long does the adoption process take?

I've been lurking on this site for a while and just love it here!

Wish me LUCK!!

Edited by Ayla

I wrote this big, long reply then my computer said "this page can not be displayed" AHHHH!

Anyway, we live in Charlottesville with our two hounds. We got Racey Gracey last fall after we had moved here from SC. The group we used was Central Virginia Greyhounds. They've been great and we've been pretty active with the group. (Website is www.cvgreys.org, but they are in the process of re-doing it) BTW, we are starting a walking club in the area if you are interested.

Don't worry about your home visit. We were really nervous about our 1st one too though. The rep. brought her personal hound and at that time we thought he was a giant. She just pointed out a few things after talking with us. Like the fact that he could basically put his head right on our kitchen countertops!, so to be careful with leaving food out. Also, we had a set of fireplace tools out and she suggested putting those away.

The hardest part is going to be waiting for your own hound! Just use that time to start buying stuff for your new baby! We also found the book "Retired Racers for Dummies" by Lee Livingood very helpful.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Guest patti909
The hardest part is going to be waiting for your own hound! Just use that time to start buying stuff for your new baby! We also found the book "Retired Racers for Dummies" by Lee Livingood very helpful.

Good luck and keep us posted!

She is absolutey right... the wait is the hardest part. I had to wait about 3 weeks and it seemed like a lifetime.

Guest EmbersDad

congratulations. the waiting IS the hardest part. i remember when i got my girl. i had went to a meet 7 greet and met soume hounds, then did some soul searching the rest of the weekend. that following monday, i turned in my application and a few days later, spoke to one of the fosters...maybe a week after that, i agreed to take a bounced hound and could have her in a couple weeks. when i saw the pictures and found out her name, the waiting got really hard....i prepared my house, put down a big blanket in my bedroom, got a raised feeder...and walked around singing a line from the movie "tommy"..."come to my house.....into my house...come to my house and be one of the people...".....silly huh....but the day finally arrived, and she has been with me for over 4 years now:-)

Guest OnecoRose

Congrats on your upcoming adoption. I waited 10 whole days for Misty and it was nerve racking to say the least. You will do fine on your home visit, and hoping you get your new baby soon. Keep us posted.

Guest HoundsRus

Welcome to GT. The wait is definitely the hardest part......first you can't wait for the home visit, then can't wait to know if you have been accepted, then can't wait to know if they have found a dog that matches with you, and then you think that if you see a pic the wait won't be as long......Yeah sure! It makes it worse because then you'll know what she looks like and the waiting will drive you crazy....But don't worry all the waiting is worthwhile and once she's with you it won't matter anymore.

Keep us posted

Guest GreytfulMom

We worried about being a good fit for a new greyhound, but they just want to make sure that the pup is going to a loving home where they'll feel secure and be well cared for. It sounds like the pup you adopt will be pretty lucky to have such a home! Best of luck!

We didn't have to wait to long but the drive to the kennel seemed to take forever. Congrats on your new houndie.

We worried about being a good fit for a new greyhound, but they just want to make sure that the pup is going to a loving home where they'll feel secure and be well cared for. It sounds like the pup you adopt will be pretty lucky to have such a home! Best of luck!

Thanks everyone for the Warm Welcome. I won't be nervous about my home visit since everyone seems to think it will go fine. I do have a large Collie mix so I know not to keep tempting things on the counters (although Lucy doesn't counter surf).

I will keep everyone updated on what is happening with us!

Thanks Again :)

Guest CherylAnn

Welcome!!!!

I had to wait almost a month for my boy, but he was worth it.

I had baught everything he needed so when he walked in he didn't want for anything.

Good luck and I hope you get your baby soon.

Guest Che_mar_Cody

Welcome - your going to fall head over heals in love - this is a greyt bunch of people here and lots of advice too : )

Says I'm wet behind the ears, but had my grey for about 4 years. Just new to here and really like it

Hope to see pictures soon : )