Hello!

Guest April_Lynn

Guest greyhoundauntie

My sister got her dogs while my children were infants/toodlers, they knew not to bother them in their crates (their caves/dens) and not to poke them in the eye, etc. My children layed all over them held and inspected feet and tails and they never showed any agression, any of the five of them.

The dogs would simply get up and leave when they were tired of the attention and head for the couch in the other room. Of course, you have to keep an eye on them and never leave them alone together (that's true for most any dog and small child) but I have never seen an agressive grey. The only time I have heard of a grey nipping a child was when the child (who was 5 and knew better) really and intentionally hurt the dog.

Take your time to find the dog that is right for you and your family. Maybe foster first, and do not feel bad if the first (or second ) dog doesn't work out. I think once you find your hound, you'll never know what you did without him/her

Guest April_Lynn
My sister got her dogs while my children were infants/toodlers, they knew not to bother them in their crates (their caves/dens) and not to poke them in the eye, etc. My children layed all over them held and inspected feet and tails and they never showed any agression, any of the five of them.

The dogs would simply get up and leave when they were tired of the attention and head for the couch in the other room. Of course, you have to keep an eye on them and never leave them alone together (that's true for most any dog and small child) but I have never seen an agressive grey. The only time I have heard of a grey nipping a child was when the child (who was 5 and knew better) really and intentionally hurt the dog.

Take your time to find the dog that is right for you and your family. Maybe foster first, and do not feel bad if the first (or second ) dog doesn't work out. I think once you find your hound, you'll never know what you did without him/her

Thanks! This is very reassuring! I'm making myself wait about six months until we adopt so that I can be sure we've taken our time to find the right dog. (Plus I'd like my daughter to be a bit older before we get a dog.) :)

Beware though, they are EXTREMELY addictive :lol

I know! My manager used to say that they are like Lay's potato chips--you can never have just one! :lol I am not sure if my husband knows that or not. If he did, he might rethink the adoption. That is how we ended up with five ferrets at one time. They're addictive, too. :colgate

You might just as well get two to start with!! They're used to being around a LOT from birth and will settle much better if they have a companion. I started out thinking of getting one but went for two when I realized how lonesome one would be!!

Guest akcpupontherun

When you are ready....your greyhound will pick YOU! :lol

We started out wanting a small delicate little girl, we came home with a big BUBBA

brindle male.....who knew?

Guest nitetap

I a relatively new greyhound owner(since June) and I'm loving having my pup! She brings such joy into our home. Yes, there can be some challenges but I think they're well worth the work! Hope find a grey that is a good match for your family!

Guest April_Lynn

I know! My manager used to say that they are like Lay's potato chips--you can never have just one! :lol I am not sure if my husband knows that or not. If he did, he might rethink the adoption. That is how we ended up with five ferrets at one time. They're addictive, too. :colgate

You might just as well get two to start with!! They're used to being around a LOT from birth and will settle much better if they have a companion. I started out thinking of getting one but went for two when I realized how lonesome one would be!!

My husband would have a fit if I suggested two. :lol I am home with the kids everyday so there will be plenty of companionship. (For now, at least!) ;)

When you are ready....your greyhound will pick YOU! :lol

We started out wanting a small delicate little girl, we came home with a big BUBBA

brindle male.....who knew?

Funny, I would prefer a big BUBBA male, too. And preferably brindle or white with black, brindle, or fawn. The color is the least of my concerns but I do like the big males. :lol

:) A warm welcome!

Thanks! I'm counting down the months until I can adopt!

Guest lovegreythounds
Boy, you're not kidding! :lol:P we've only had Sammi two months and already we want another one :rolleyes:

My daughter is nine and her friends and their little sibs are in and out of the house all the time - Sammi just loves them!

the first night Sammi came home, she got up and went into Jade's room, stuck her cold nose on Jade's cheek :eek and then came back and laid down - jest checkin' on her :)

Guest OurStretch

Hi April and welcome. I am a newbie here also. We just adopted Stretch last Sunday. I can

say that he is very trainable and very gentle. We don't have any small children, nor small

pets. Our sons are 21 and 17. He has already learned a couple commands like sit and lie

down. He is getting better at not nosing in while we are eating. The idea of mine and yours is

a process. He does whine and bark when left in his room when we are going out. I figure that

will get better once he gets more acclimated to the environment. Just from what we've seen

in the week that he has been with us, the idea of a grey being a great family pet is confirmed.

I wish you good luck with your grey when you adopt.

Steve :colgate

Guest GreytfullDad

Welcome from NC :welcome:wubsite

It sounds to me like you have already overcome the greytest hurdle in greyhound adoption, falling in love with a dog and NOT doing the homework required to provide you and the dog a chance for a long and happy life together. I applaud your desire to wait until your family is ready for a greyhound and think iwth the help of your adoption group finding the right hound should not be a problem. Again welcome , Good luck and we look forward to many interesting conversations. B)