Hello!

Guest April_Lynn

Guest April_Lynn

Hello-

My name is April. I am married with two children (3.5 and 14mos). I had the pleasure of meeting some Greys at a Meet N Greet in Maine when I was working at a pet store. (The manager had three of his own.) I decided after meeting his greys and many others since that I really would love to adopt a grey. I have never met one that I didn't love. :)

Since having kids, I've done quite a bit of research on caring for retired racers and I think that a grey would be a good fit for our family. Here's why I want a grey: companionship, I love the quiet companionship that greys give. I love that they tend to bark less than other dogs and don't have doggie odor. I love that they are couch potatoes that only require a few short walks a day with an occasional long walk. (We have a fenced yard and access to a larger fenced in area.) I love that they are not puppies when adopted. I have two young kids and I do not have time for the extended puppy care. (Although I am aware that some greys require extensive home acclimation and am prepared for that.)

I plan on working very closely with our local rescue group to find the perfect dog for our family. I'd like a big male but am open to suggestions. It's more important that I find a dog that's comfortable with my kids. I am not looking specifically for a dog that my kids can be rough and tumble with just a dog that will be a friend to my kids. (My son is somewhat dogshy so I need a gentle, quiet dog for him to get used to.) I expect my children to treat my dog (as well as all of my pets--cat and ferret) with respect and I start teaching them that very young.

I have read some of the archives on this board regarding kids and greys and while some people said that they can/do get along, others seemed pretty adament that kids and greys not be put together. I have two friends that have greys and kids (ages almost 2, almost 4, 4, and 6) and they are doing very well together. My plan is to continue researching, go to Meet N Greets with the kids, talk to those who have greys with kids, and also work with the rescue to discuss my needs. I don't plan on adopting until the spring when my daughter is almost 2. (My son will be 4 then.)

If you have read this far, thanks! I am open to any thoughts or suggestions regarding greys and young children. I know that there are hazards to having dogs with children but I also know that it can work. We always had dogs when I was a child and I've only been bitten once by my grandmother's dog. Thankfully, it was just a nip. Anyway, sorry to be so long winded. I am enjoying the pictures of all of your hounds! They're all so pretty. :)

Guest GREENSTGREYS

Welcome! You sound like you are doing your homework.I have met several people with greys and small children who do fine as long as closely supervised.I hope to hear more from you good luck :welcome2

Guest greytgirl
:wave welcome. Its sound like you are getting well prepared, which is good, as you stated, many ex racers do need to get used to new surroundings and so on, so as long as your aware of that then you should be fine. As for living with kids, I think they are one of the most tactile and loving breed of dog who just seem to love kids :colgate but as always, it is genuinely down to the individual dog. :gh_child:goodluck Good luck and hope to see pics when you do get your Grey, Beware though, they are EXTREMELY addictive :lol

Guest April_Lynn
Beware though, they are EXTREMELY addictive :lol

I know! My manager used to say that they are like Lay's potato chips--you can never have just one! :lol I am not sure if my husband knows that or not. If he did, he might rethink the adoption. That is how we ended up with five ferrets at one time. They're addictive, too. :colgate

Guest greytgirl

ferrets? will have to try them :lol no, one is never enough, dont tell your hubby yet, you can spring it on him once he has been bitten by the grey love bug :lol:lol and then you can easily talk him round to having more than one :colgate

Guest April_Lynn
ferrets? will have to try them :lol no, one is never enough, dont tell your hubby yet, you can spring it on him once he has been bitten by the grey love bug :lol:lol and then you can easily talk him round to having more than one :colgate

:lol:lol Oh, yes! Ferrets are wonderful pets! Dog-like in some ways--enjoy and seek out human interaction, playful, can be trained to do tricks, come to thier name, poo in the litterbox, etc. Cat-like in other ways--sleep a lot, can easily be left alone while you work outside of the home. They are such fun! Unfortunately for me, I bought a ferret (from a breeder) that had ADV--an incurable contagious ferret virus. All of my ferrets had been exposed and the cage, house, etc potentially infected. There's not enough know about the virus to know if it would be safe to bring more ferrets into my home after my last guy is gone. :( They really are intelligent, unique pets--like greyhounds! :) I'm so excited now to go to the local meet and greet in a couple of weeks! :colgate

Guest Brandy_b

Welcome!!! If you ahve any grey related questions this is the place to ask them!!! And there are some grey's I've met that just live to please kids!!! You'll have no problem finding the perfect grey :)

<3 Brandy & Caliloka

Guest April_Lynn

QUOTE(Brandy_b @ Oct 29 2006, 02:24 PM) 2398060[/snapback]
And there are some grey's I've met that just live to please kids!!! You'll have no problem finding the perfect grey :)

<3 Brandy & Caliloka

Thanks, Brandy! That's very inspiring! :) I can't wait!

Guest yipee372

Welcome! Sounds like you have really thought about this! I have a five year old son and two Greys. We have never had any issues. The dogs are Greyt with him. My 10 year old and the newest Greyhound adore each other.

Guest AbbyGirl

I have a greyhound that just loves kids!!! When I adopted her I had all older children but my nephews were always over and they were young like 2 and 6 and very active. Even to this day when they come over she becomes very excited. The boys were taught the rules when it comes to her,for instances if she is laying on her bed or in her crate she is to be left alone.

The boys to her means playing with a ball until exhaustion hits, food crumbs,licking food face,hands and the floor and just having fun!!!

Guest jackjack

Wow, and welcome. It sounds like you've done a lot of reading! It's already been mentioned, but greys are like any other bred of dog: some like kids, some don't. I'm sure you'll be able to find one that fits in perfectly with your family!!

Welcome to GT

Your certainly doing your home work :) and taking your time to think things through. Thats a good thing.

My boy hounds basically ignore kids, of coarse they are open to being patted and very tolerant too, our female adores kids, the smaller the better, she thinks they are just the greatest thing in the world.

Your going to love having a hound :)

Guest TBSFlame

I believe there is a dog out there just right for your family. Make sure you find him/her and not settle. When there are small children the right dog is so very important.

Guest longdogs

You'll be bringing a dog into your established family and your children won't be babies. I'm sure you won't have problems finding a dog to fit, especially a greyhound.

None of mine are used to living with children but they are as gentle as can be with the children we meet on walks and as we pass the local kindergarten. It's not unusual for them to be surrounded by strange children and they take it very well, just quietly backing away if the attention becomes too much. We had a 6 month old baby staying with us for several weeks. The first few times she cried, the dogs came rushing out to see what the sound was - actually rushing straight past and into the garden because the sound couldn't possibly be coming from a human. After two days, they'd worked it all out and ignored further baby noises. Meanwhile, one of our greys had recognised this was a new member of the family and spent all her time as close to the baby as she could get, losing several handfuls of fur in the process. On this basis, I would say the right dog is likely to be good with a properly supervised small child.

Guest FreddyGirl
Hello-

My name is April. I am married with two children (3.5 and 14mos). I had the pleasure of meeting some Greys at a Meet N Greet in Maine when I was working at a pet store. (The manager had three of his own.) I decided after meeting his greys and many others since that I really would love to adopt a grey. I have never met one that I didn't love. :)

Since having kids, I've done quite a bit of research on caring for retired racers and I think that a grey would be a good fit for our family. Here's why I want a grey: companionship, I love the quiet companionship that greys give. I love that they tend to bark less than other dogs and don't have doggie odor. I love that they are couch potatoes that only require a few short walks a day with an occasional long walk. (We have a fenced yard and access to a larger fenced in area.) I love that they are not puppies when adopted. I have two young kids and I do not have time for the extended puppy care. (Although I am aware that some greys require extensive home acclimation and am prepared for that.)

I plan on working very closely with our local rescue group to find the perfect dog for our family. I'd like a big male but am open to suggestions. It's more important that I find a dog that's comfortable with my kids. I am not looking specifically for a dog that my kids can be rough and tumble with just a dog that will be a friend to my kids. (My son is somewhat dogshy so I need a gentle, quiet dog for him to get used to.) I expect my children to treat my dog (as well as all of my pets--cat and ferret) with respect and I start teaching them that very young.

I have read some of the archives on this board regarding kids and greys and while some people said that they can/do get along, others seemed pretty adament that kids and greys not be put together. I have two friends that have greys and kids (ages almost 2, almost 4, 4, and 6) and they are doing very well together. My plan is to continue researching, go to Meet N Greets with the kids, talk to those who have greys with kids, and also work with the rescue to discuss my needs. I don't plan on adopting until the spring when my daughter is almost 2. (My son will be 4 then.)

If you have read this far, thanks! I am open to any thoughts or suggestions regarding greys and young children. I know that there are hazards to having dogs with children but I also know that it can work. We always had dogs when I was a child and I've only been bitten once by my grandmother's dog. Thankfully, it was just a nip. Anyway, sorry to be so long winded. I am enjoying the pictures of all of your hounds! They're all so pretty. :)

Most adoption groups match the dog to the needs of the family. Have any dog that you are considering tested with children, in a foster home if possible. This is what happened with my dog re: cats. If possible, spend time with the dog you are considering to see its reaction to your older child.

Guest April_Lynn

Thanks for the responses everyone! :) It makes me feel good to know that many have had wonderful experiences with greys and children. I'm sure you'll see me lurking around the board while I wait for my new furbaby. :)

Guest trevdog

I've had 3 out of 4 greys that adore children, especially the puppy. We don't have kids ourselves, but she loves the neighbors kids. Find a group that will work with you, they're out there. Maybe Get "Childproofing your Dog" I have heard it's very helpful, also the "Greyhounds for Dummies book" I still read that one from time to time, and I've had greys for over 10 years. There's always something I've forgotten.

Guest scottydog

Welcome to GT. I'm sure you will love it here! :wave

I believe that greys are very good with kids. I am the kind of person who is very worried about kids and dogs interacting. When I was 4, my neighbour's dog bit my face and tore open my nose. I needed extensive plastic surgery and was terrified of dogs for a long time. When I wanted to get a greyhound, my kids were 3 and 4 and I was very careful. Scotty has been absolutely wonderful with them. He doesn't always want to play with them but he is very gentle and will always walk away when he's tired of them. I also have rules and watch what they do around him.

Now we go to the bus stop every morning and Scotty is surrounded by kids that want to pet him. He really enjoys the attention but if he is overwhelmed he just moves away.

On a funny note, once Scotty stuck his nose in a stroller to see who was inside. The toddler promptly punched him in the nose! He was startled but showed no aggression and just ran behind his mommy! :lol

Guest April_Lynn
Maybe Get "Childproofing your Dog" I have heard it's very helpful, also the "Greyhounds for Dummies book" I still read that one from time to time, and I've had greys for over 10 years. There's always something I've forgotten.

I just started reading Greys for Dummies and I also just purchased Childproofing Your Dog. :) I feel that you can never read too much when getting ready for a new pet. It's the teacher in me! :)

Welcome to GT. I'm sure you will love it here! :wave

I believe that greys are very good with kids. I am the kind of person who is very worried about kids and dogs interacting. When I was 4, my neighbour's dog bit my face and tore open my nose. I needed extensive plastic surgery and was terrified of dogs for a long time. When I wanted to get a greyhound, my kids were 3 and 4 and I was very careful. Scotty has been absolutely wonderful with them. He doesn't always want to play with them but he is very gentle and will always walk away when he's tired of them. I also have rules and watch what they do around him.

Now we go to the bus stop every morning and Scotty is surrounded by kids that want to pet him. He really enjoys the attention but if he is overwhelmed he just moves away.

On a funny note, once Scotty stuck his nose in a stroller to see who was inside. The toddler promptly punched him in the nose! He was startled but showed no aggression and just ran behind his mommy! :lol

Thanks for the welcome! :colgate I grew up with dogs but haven't been around them daily for many years now. Since having kids and hearing so much about fatal dog attacks (you know how the media is) I worry more than I ever did. Because of their size dogs are capable of doing much more damage than a cat or ferret. (Obviously.) But, despite all the bad press, I miss the companionship of a dog, particularly because they don't generally talk back. :lol I also think pets are a great way for kids to learn compassion.

And poor Scotty! Maybe that toddler needed to learn some compassion! :lol

Our 3 year old daughter actually picked out our dog. We weren't even really looking for a dog but we went to the local petstore to get something for her fish and there was a greyhound rescue that was there and she sat for 2 hours and played with them.

We have never had a problem with her and the dogs.

She loves them and they absolutely adore her.

Welcome to Greytalk! :wave

Thanks! :colgate

Guest April_Lynn
Our 3 year old daughter actually picked out our dog. We weren't even really looking for a dog but we went to the local petstore to get something for her fish and there was a greyhound rescue that was there and she sat for 2 hours and played with them.

That's great! I am going to a Meet and Greet next weekend with the kids. I really am interested to see how the kids react to the dogs. DS is a bit dogshy so a relatively calm grey would be ideal for us.

At our rescue as I sure that the one that you are going to will be able to spot which dog will fit your household after the inital interview.

Our rescue did it with both of our dogs.

That's great! I am going to a Meet and Greet next weekend with the kids. I really am interested to see how the kids react to the dogs. DS is a bit dogshy so a relatively calm grey would be ideal for us.