Leia Bitten Again...2nd Time In 2 Weeks

Guest FordRacingRon

Per feemandvm, if a dog is going to have a severe bad reaction to Rimadyl, s/he usually has that severe bad reaction right away. Like other NSAIDs -- including aspirin -- it can be hard on the kidneys and liver. For long-term use, it's wise to do periodic blood panels.

Thousands of dogs take Rimadyl -- and other drugs -- without getting sick. It is generally considered a very safe drug.

Occasionally a dog has an unpredictable severe bad reaction to a drug -- heartworm meds, Rimadyl, aspirin, enalapril, antibiotics, you name it. Those incidents are extremely unfortunate. They aren't the norm.

I've given various of my dogs Rimadyl, Deramaxx, prednisone, aspirin (under a vet's direction), even Butazolidin. With no ill effects.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you feel she doesn't need it, you can discontinue it at any time. Rimadyl is one of the more controversial NSAIDS, that being said many dogs take it with no problems.

If you feel she does need an antiinflammatory and you're not comfortable with Rimadyl, ask your vet for some deramaxx. Not much controversy around that one.

I personally would not use Rimadyl, simply because there IS a lot of buzz around it, and there are lots of other good NSAIDs that don't have all the rumors floating around about it. Why use it if there are other drugs available that do the job.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Per feemandvm, if a dog is going to have a severe bad reaction to Rimadyl, s/he usually has that severe bad reaction right away

Totally not true.

If you had blood work done before she went on it and do a follow up you should be ok. Don't freak out. However, if she does not need it, I wouldn't use it. I believe that medicating many times causes them to use a limb they shouldn't be using.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest IGdevotion

I just read your recount of your horrible day, the days following, and the support from this forums members. It all brings tears to my eyes. This is one of my biggest fears. You guys could not have done a better job to protect and care for your sweet girl. Hugs to you, your wife, and Leia.

I would probably stop using the Rimadyl if she seems fine and the Dr. believes the anti inflammatory is no longer necessary. I hope the open wound is getting better. I have seen similar open wounds and the tissue granulates in with time and the proper cleaning, which you are doing.

I'd like to imagine....you left Leia's poop on the side of that LA freeway. The irresponsible pit bull owner got a flat tire on that very stop of the highway, and found himself with poop on his feet, clothes, car, dog, etc. in his efforts to fix his tire or wait for help. :lol

Edited by IGdevotion

Per feemandvm, if a dog is going to have a severe bad reaction to Rimadyl, s/he usually has that severe bad reaction right away

Totally not true.

If you had blood work done before she went on it and do a follow up you should be ok.

Unless you're going to do bloodwork every day, for short-term use for a healthy dog, initial bloodwork is pointless. You'll be off the drug before it will be time to retest. In addition, nothing in the bloodwork will tell you if the dog will have a severe bad reaction -- there are no bloodwork predicters for severe gastro side effects, for example.

It is worthwhile to know the side effects and warning signs of this and other drugs. If your vet prescribes a drug without giving you the package insert, you can usually find it on the manufacturer's website.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FordRacingRon
I'd like to imagine....you left Leia's poop on the side of that LA freeway. The irresponsible pit bull owner got a flat tire on that very stop of the highway, and found himself with poop on his feet, clothes, car, dog, etc. in his efforts to fix his tire or wait for help. :lol

Well, I did leave her poop on the side and it, I suppose, is entirley possible that could happen,,it was only a half mile from the exit (she couldn't hold it) and I assume the owner was local too,,,,karma !

Guest FordRacingRon

The Leia report,,as per request. She is doing greyt. We haven't been to the vet in 5 whole days! We do go today though, our orginally scheduled visit.

Emotionally she is almost back to the dog she was before this happened. She is starting do do her daily routines again,,she is getting a little antsy as she wants to go on walks and such again, but she can't really do what she thinks she can do. I have been covering her wound and taking her outside for a short 10 minute walk and taking her for car rides. She finally rooed for the first time yesterday.

Her wound is bigger as far as dimensions because all the sutures finally let go and the dead skin has come off, but my DW who doctors her (I hold her in case she freaks out) swears the wound are getting smaller as far as depth. I think her sutures that can be removed will be today.

I have taken her off the Rimadyl and she hasn't swollen up. She is a little stiff when she stands up but then forgets she is hurt and all is normal.

So thanks to everyone on this list I think I am healing and my pup is healing,,if anything goes awry at the vet today I will let you know.

BTW, I have given up the Direct Stop and carry pepper spray, I really don't know if that works on dogs but I feel more proactive anyhow. That and my Lousiville slugger. And yesterday just walking up the block and back there is a loose dog running around. Is this our fate now????

Good to hear she is healing and feeling good. She has good people taking care of her :) .

We go through rashes of loose dogs here, too. Fortunately none of them have been aggressive altho some have looked (to my late boy Batman and to Zema) way too much like snacks.

Guest FordRacingRon
Good to hear she is healing and feeling good. She has good people taking care of her :) .

We go through rashes of loose dogs here, too. Fortunately none of them have been aggressive altho some have looked (to my late boy Batman and to Zema) way too much like snacks.

My DW wonders why Leia looks like a target too. The Pit that got her was running around with another stray,,a German shepard. Why were not those two dogs fighting,,,,they are not "related (as in from the same family) because the witnesses saw the pit picked up,,,the shepard was gone. BTW, tomorrow I am going to animal control to get the report,,and probably start a fight when I discover they won't do anything about this and perhaps did not even follow up with the cars license plate number.

Guest Winterwish

I'm so glad to read Leia's doing better each day.

Keep getting better sweetie! :kiss2:dogcookie:dogcookie:dogcookie

I've wondered too why our greys seem to be attacked more often than other dogs,and for no reason. :(

It could be the passive and vulnerable nature of the overwhelming majority of greyhounds, coupled with a loose dog that's got a whole set of issues that result in his or her need to dominate another dog thru' attack.

Add to that the probability that most folks who adopt greyhounds would tend to be like in nature,as compared to someone who would choose a more dominance tended breed,and maybe the whole picture,or perception,in the dog world,in one of vulnerability- from greyhound right thru' to their person.

But it's really sad,and I'm so sorry this happened to your girl,and her family too. :grouphug

Edited by Winterwish

Guest FordRacingRon

Update,,Leias stitches and staples are all out (I don't know if I mentioned this ever, but she had a lot of stitches in the inside of one of her back legs too,, I don't even know how she got bit there). The vet is keeping her on the anitbiotic routine. He said we should see the wound fill in. I am allowed to take her on a walk (with the wound covered) and he suggested increasing the distance everyday. See him again in 2 weeks.

Wtih my heart I thank everyone on this list for all the support you gave us through arguably one of the worse times in our lives. We still are planning on leaving this area in a couple of years and are way more prepared for if this could happen again. I will update if there is any news to report but I think we finally made it. thank you everyone.

Edited by FordRacingRon

I truly hope you never have to go through this again, poor you and poor Leia. But it sounds like she is healing up beautifully, thanks to her ever vigilant parents!

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest maryjo79

We'll continue to pray for you and sweet Leia :grouphug

This has truly been a horrific experience for you, but your love for Leia is obvious in every word :grouphug

Guest FordRacingRon

Hi. I had a question about pain relief. I stopped giving Leia the Rimydal a couple of days ago but I think sometimes her leg still hurts a bit. Without going to the vet for another script,,is there some human pill I can give her daily,,like a baby aspirin or something?

For those who wonder,,she is doing ok. We wlak a couple of times a day now for about 1/2 of a mile, no limp but she still has an open wound aobut 2 inches by 1 inch. My DW says its filling in, just not getting smaller yet.

We go out walking I am armed with pepper spray but Leia seems to have forgotten the incident. However she doesn't want to play anymore and she doesn't roo any more. Its like we went back 8 months in her developement and have to start over again.

• 11 months later...
Hi. I had a question about pain relief. I stopped giving Leia the Rimydal a couple of days ago but I think sometimes her leg still hurts a bit. Without going to the vet for another script,,is there some human pill I can give her daily,,like a baby aspirin or something?

For those who wonder,,she is doing ok. We wlak a couple of times a day now for about 1/2 of a mile, no limp but she still has an open wound aobut 2 inches by 1 inch. My DW says its filling in, just not getting smaller yet.

We go out walking I am armed with pepper spray but Leia seems to have forgotten the incident. However she doesn't want to play anymore and she doesn't roo any more. Its like we went back 8 months in her developement and have to start over again.

I'm so sorry about what happened with you Leia. How is she doing a year later?

What ended up happening with Animal Control? One of my dogs was attacked by a pit bull a couple of years ago, Los Angeles Animal Services gave the owner a slap on the wrist. She has a history of being a bad owner. There were four witnesses, two testifying to what happened to my dog, Sheila, and two others testifying to the dog being aggressive. One woman watched it kill a neighbor's cat. They did virtually NOTHING to her. That's why I'm terrified to walk my dogs. I live by Elysian Park, which has no off-leash areas, and 97% of the dogs on the trails are off-leash.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

My vet told me to give 1 enteric coated aspirin ( 325mg.) to my collie/shepherd mix bridge-kid to ease her occasional arthritis pain (she was nearly 12 at the time) and it seemed to help.. She weighed about the same as my grey, Kieran (65 pounds).

Guest FordRacingRon

Wow,,color me suprised when this came back up. Yes its been almost a year since her dual October attacks.

Since you saked,,for the first 4-5 or so months I could barely get her to walk more then 5 houses away from my house before she statued and tried to go back to the house. Although for some reason even though the attack occured about 1/4 of a mile from here at a school she associated walking off the street with the attack. A GT poster suggested I drive her somewhere safe and I scoffed at that thinking that my dog will walk down the street or not at all. Since walking her off the street didn't work I followed the GTers advice I would put her in the car, drive her off the block, and just get here to walk partially around the block. After about 6 months she completely forgot and was willing to walk anywhere.

But as safe as she thought she was, we did not feel that safe. So since the end of last spring, our routine is to put her in the car in the AM, drive her to our best park here (not the one she was attacked at), walk her around for about 2 miles then take her home. In the afternoon, back into the car, back to the park , and another 20 minute walk. I don't think I have walked her off the block since last summer. So she loves her AM walks (is in my face right now to go) and life is good.

As far as the dog that did the deed,,animal control did not followup at all. Did not trace the pits owner, did not even file a report,,whomever the officer was he didn't do his job and there was nothing I could do about it. So there was s 2500 dollar lesson for me.

Edited by FordRacingRon

Guest Tenderhearts

Thank you so much for the update :grouphug

I completely understand your fears of walking her, and kudos to you for finding a solution to allow her exercise.

I'm not surprised that AC didn't follow up, and am outraged that this was never followed through with them :(

Please give Leia a gentle hug for me!

Thanks for the update, I'm so glad Leia is doing well. That was a great idea to put her in the car and walk her elsewhere.

It makes me sick that animal control failed you like that. All your time and energy was placed in helping Leia get well and heal, they should have been there for you.

Best to you, yours and Leia!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest FordRacingRon

I don't know if this would have anything to do with it,,but here in my part of SOCAL (Downey) we have 2 animal controls. The county one (LA County) and one called SEAACA (South east Area Animal Control Authority). I am not sure who funds SEAACA but they, although are a kill sheter, hold animals a lot longer then a regular pound. They serve Downey and a few other cities that border us, so when we call AC that is who we get. I have heard, way after the fact, the "officer" that responded to our attack is a lazy SOB and more times then not he doesn't do his job if paperwork is involved. I suppose I could be an arse and go after them but its bygones now to me. All I care about is the safety of my dog and I am always way prepared to defend her. Plus when we walk my DW goes out about 50 feet in front of us as a scout so we can make sure there are no problems.