Leia Bitten Again...2nd Time In 2 Weeks

Guest FordRacingRon

Guest jettcricket

I'm sooo sorry that this happened not once, but twice to you and your little baby girl. :( Poor sweet baby. I just can't imagine that happening to me although I do worry from time to time. Sending good healing thoughts to you, your family and Leia.

Please keep us udated.....

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Checking in to see how Leia has been doing, and very sorry to hear you're having a rough time. I totally understand; when Lou first came home from the vets he was a complete mess, and I was too. It is so very hard to watch them in such shape. You are doing the right thing by coming here and asking questions; if it wasn't for the people on this site I would have lost it a looong time ago.

To reiterate what others have said, she will get better, but it will take time. For the swelling, if she will let you, try icing it, 5 minutes on and 5 minutes off for a while. I also used aloe vera gel, chilled, on Lou and that helped a lot. Also a product called traumeel gel, you can get it in any health food store, and it will help enormously with the swelling. Get the gel, not the cream, it goes on easier in sore spots, and use only on swelling and bruised areas, not on any open cuts.

The cone will continue to drive her nuts, as she's a site hound, and they really don't adapt to it. If you can get a hold of a bite not collar, or work out a way for her muzzle to work, that would be much better.

I also found that melatonin worked well when Lou got anxious. I even took some myself.

Tramado worked great for pain, and codeine often does too. She may been an antiinflammatory drug as well, something like metacam.

As far as that pesky staple goes, if it's been 2 weeks, it can come out. If it's possible, have someone else try to distract her, and take it out yourself. Much easier than going in for just a staple, and it should come out easily. I used my tweezers last time I had to do it and had no problem. Distracting Leia is the key here.

I know it's hard, but do try to relax and get some time for yourself. I drove myself to distraction during the first week of Lou's recovery. Your girl has the best parents she could have, remember that!

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Edited by kjw

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest FordRacingRon
The cone will continue to drive her nuts, as she's a site hound, and they really don't adapt to it. If you can get a hold of a bite not collar, or work out a way for her muzzle to work, that would be much better.

I also found that melatonin worked well when Lou got anxious. I even took some myself.

As far as that pesky staple goes, if it's been 2 weeks, it can come out. If it's possible, have someone else try to distract her, and take it out yourself. Much easier than going in for just a staple, and it should come out easily. I used my tweezers last time I had to do it and had no problem. Distracting Leia is the key here.

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

I love this forum. Everyone is so helpful and supportive. Leia just tried to build a nest, used her bad foot for 3 seconds, but couldn't tuck into her bed becauseof the cone. I tried the "tape over the end of the muzzle" trick that wa suggested and she is now actually snoring she is sleeping so well without the cone.

Leia is a really big drama queen (trying doing her nails) so I am afraid of hurting her taking out the staple and would for sure get the scream of death if I tried. I am going to try to talk the vet into coming out to the car and finish the job he didn't finish.

The same with icing down her foot. we did do that Saturday but yesterday she would have none of it,,giving the pre-scream of death whine so we quit.

Is she distractable at all with any foods? I know sometimes that works with Bailey, he is a diva as well but if he's busy with an extra special snack, or getting major pettings, I can sneak up from behind to do what I need to do :lol

Also, does she give her scream of death when the vet is working on her? If not, she's giving you the business. I know how tough it is to discern when they are being a diva or not, but it's a good bet if she doesn't scream with the vet, than she's being a minx with you. And they are soooo good at it!

Edited by kjw

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest FordRacingRon
Is she distractable at all with any foods? I know sometimes that works with Bailey, he is a diva as well but if he's busy with an extra special snack, or getting major pettings, I can sneak up from behind to do what I need to do :lol

Also, does she give her scream of death when the vet is working on her? If not, she's giving you the business. I know how tough it is to discern when they are being a diva or not, but it's a good bet if she doesn't scream with the vet, than she's being a minx with you. And they are soooo good at it!

Sheis distractable with food for her nails,,I tried with the peanut butter when we wanted to put a big sock on her leg (prior to the cone) and she screamed. Yeah, she could be faking it but I hate the sound and in this war she wins. My dog most of the time could care less if she is petted or not. She did want a bellyrub yesterday but I know this won't take her away for anything to do with that leg.

I don't know if she does it with the vet,,,in the exam room all she does is shake like a 9.0 earthquake,,,I am never invited to the procedure area.

I think she needs a tranquilizer. She is an energtic girl and the 3 mile monring walk takes the edge off for half the day but now without the walk she is ready to blow.

The melatonin really worked great here, 3 mg size no more than twice a day, you can get it again in any health food store.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Guest 3greys4me

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

The same with icing down her foot. we did do that Saturday but yesterday she would have none of it,,giving the pre-scream of death whine so we quit.

I could never do the ice thing either if it hurt or scared her. Poor baby.

Guest FordRacingRon

I have another couple of questions,,,mad I have this thread going for a long time but I am one worried daddy.

I talked to the vet but he is always in such a rush I'm not sure if he thinks about what he says (reminds me of my HMO doctor). I told him about her foot being swollen,,he didn't think much of that. I told him about her nervousness. So here is his bottomline on things,,,what do you guys think.

He said for the nervousness I can give her benadryl up to three 25 mg tablets a couple of times a day. Is that too much?

He said the swelling is no big deal as it has not gotten any worse yet. Comments??

I told him a new thing she started was she sometimes lies there and shudders. Not all the time,,maybe 3-4 times a day for like 10 minutes. He blew it off saying maybe she was just reacting to the pain. Her sudders coincide with her breathing. Thoughts???

Tonight she let us wash her leg off with soap. I didn't know we were supposed to do that until today when I talked with the vet.

Tonight she let us put an icepack on it.

One more question, I didn't get the impression when we brought her home we were supposed to immobilize her which is really impossible. Do you think we should not let her roam the house like she will sometimes do to change beds? Are we supposed to confine her?

I'm sorry to be a pest but I am worried about my girl so bad.

Edited by FordRacingRon

I would keep an eye on the swelling.

If she won't let you ice it, even just a cold towel will help some.

I don't know about giving benadryl with torbutrol -- LynnM might have some thoughts on that, or feemandvm.

Shuddering could be pain, could be reaction to meds ..... That would worry me, too.

I would let her wander about as she feels like. No running, tho, and probably best to keep her off any stairs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FordRacingRon
I would keep an eye on the swelling..

I don't know about giving benadryl with torbutrol -- LynnM might have some thoughts on that, or feemandvm.

I would let her wander about as she feels like. No running, tho, and probably best to keep her off any stairs.

Stopped giving her the torbutrol on Sunday (none on Sunday or since). But is three 25mg pills overdose level?

I only mean walking around the house,,I carry her outside down the 3 stairs, she does her business and I carry her in. Our house is way to small to run in !

The shuddering has me nervous.

Edited by FordRacingRon

3 @ 25mg wouldn't be overdose but might make her quite sleepy and maybe unsteady on her feet.

Is she getting any pain meds? She ought to have an anti-inflammatory -- Rimadyl, Deramaxx, something like that.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

She might be shuddering because she's cold. She's not moving around much, and I know I've had to tuck Lou under a blanket many times since he was injured, where I never had to before. Maybe try covering her with a blanket and see if she stops - if she does, then you have the answer.

I agree with Batmom, she should be having at least an antiinflammatory for the pain, Deramaxx(cheaper) and Metacam (expensive) both have worked well here. They need to be given with food. And really, I cannot say enough good things about Traumeel gel, it really helped Lou a lot. If you can't find it in your area, I would be quite happy to purolate some down to you. Just check out the progression of his bruising and swelling, I am sure it was the traumeel that got it down so quickly:

Lou on Monday Oct 9, 3 days post op:

IMG_0139.JPG

Oct 12

LouLying.jpg

As you can see, the improvement was phenomenal, we did ice his leg, as well as apply aloe gel, and traumeel gel. Having him get up gently and move around slowly helped a lot too, although it was extremely difficult to watch him. He is now doing extremely well, and his leg has no puffiness or bruising at all. I post these pics not to highjack your thread, but just to let you see what a difference a few days can make. I really think the traumeel was the most important thing we did, and it also seemed to ease his pain.

Please don't feel your a pest, you're not. Of all the activities that happen on the board, in my opinion this H&M forum has helped me the most. Hence I hang around - and you are helping others with your experience, as the first thing I do when something happens here is do a search of GT to get information. This thread will come up for someone else searching the site in dire need of help and information. Lou's thread ran for days and days, and the prayers generated helped him heal, and helped me stay sane. The people on this site are some of the most well informed grey owners around, and also some of the kindest people I've ever been in contact with, and all of them are happy to be able to pass on what they know to others in their time of need. I have no doubts you'll be doing the same for others, as you are now becoming an expert, unfortunately, about the aftermath of a dog attack. It's a horrible thing, but that is your silver lining.

About your vet, you know, you're paying good money to your vet, if you feel he is not attending to your concerns, after this is all over you might consider shopping around. I have, and I now have 2 vets, both of whom never rush me, and always fully answer my questions. You deserve the same.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Just wanted to add my best wishes for Leia, you and your wife.

The first several days after Spiff was bitten on his neck were the worst. Although his injuries weren't nearly as bad as Leia's sound, he was lethargic and swollen for a couple of days before I could really tell things were improving. It sounds like Leia is already starting to feel more like herself, it's just hard because it takes time for everything to heal.

I have another couple of questions,,,mad I have this thread going for a long time but I am one worried daddy.

<snip>

I'm sorry to be a pest but I am worried about my girl so bad.

OMG, DON'T ever apologise for being such a concerned dad!!! It's heartwarming to know how much you care about your baby girl, unlike the $%&@ pit bull owner!!!

I'm afraid I don't have any practical advice for you, except maybe to find a new vet. I have an awesome---and highly recommended---vet who is really busy because he is so good, but if I felt like I was getting the brush-off from him I would go elsewhere. I would be really pissed if I missed something because my vet didn't have the time to give me the information I needed to get my girl through a trauma like Leia's.

You all are very much in my thoughts!!!

:grouphug

ETA:

About your vet, you know, you're paying good money to your vet, if you feel he is not attending to your concerns, after this is all over you might consider shopping around. I have, and I now have 2 vets, both of whom never rush me, and always fully answer my questions. You deserve the same.

Yeah! What kjw said... That's what I'm talking about!

Edited by JerseyGirlInOz

gallery_11362_3294_17365.png
"Hurricane Sandi" (Baurna to Run).

Forever missing my "Angel-With-A Crooked-Halo" Hailey, and "Mokkah" (Xpress Point) with all my heart.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ~~Will Rogers

Guest FordRacingRon

Good Morning greyt folks. The Leia report. We are worried now about the swelling in her,,if it were a human,,wrist and her foot. I can't swear it's gotten worse but I know it's not gotten better and it is day 4. We are probably over-reacting but we are going to take her in today. We are probably the new parents screaming wolf, but we would rather make fools of ourselves then not. Leia didn't seem to be as perky so to speak yesterday as she was on Sunday. I don't think she has a fever or anything but we want to be safe. BTW the Benadryl calmed her down last night for sure.

Here is this mornings question. As we understand it we need to clean her wound daily. Her wound is the length of her leg (she looks like someone tried to sew a quilt together). Yesterday I cleaned out a bucket, we filled it with soapy water and I lifted her up so we could put her entire leg in the bucket. We washed her,,rinsed her,,and dried her without and scream of death or fight. Is that an Okay way to do this?

Edited by FordRacingRon

I would give her TRAUMEEL orally (15 drops or 1 pill) three times per day and the TRAUMEEL gel applied on swollen

parts of her leg (only apply on intact skin, no wounds!)...I have used it with great success for my hounds and us humans.

Have luck with sweet Leia...by the way, my Soldi does that shuddering thing every now and then. It's when she feels cold

and I always cover her with a blanket and the shuddering stops...

Considering your question about the cleaning...I think you did well rinsing her entire leg with soapy water.

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Guest GreyFox

I think it's good you're taking Leia to the vet ... you know Leia better than anyone and have to follow your gut, and if something doesn't feel right you need to check it out. Don't worry about being an over-concerned parent. You're paying the vet to take medical care of Leia and also to answer your questions. Like someone said earlier, if you're not satisfied with the care you're getting from your vet, you might want to shop around after Leia is better. I don't think anyone should ever feel badly about asking whatever questions they have of a doctor, including vets.

Leia is so lucky to have you and your DW. You are taking excellent care of her. Good luck at the vet, and I'll be watching for the next update.

Ruth

Sounds like your doing really well with washing her. If she's dirty, soap and water will certainly do the trick. If she's not that dirty, you might try some steril saline. You can get it in the contact lens section of your drugstore, but be sure to get straight saline, not the stuff with additives. It comes in a squirt bottle, so you can gently squirt it over her wounds. I've found it's a great flush for any wounds. If her wounds seem a little dirty, you could add a little betadyne or iodine to the saline, and then squirt it, but watch out, it stains.

Don't feel bad about returning to the vet - I always think better overcautious than under cautious. Be sure to update when you get back!

Hugs to you and to Leia :grouphug

CAMP GREYHOUND

If your vet is not taking your concerns seiously, I'd really think about finding a better vet. This is the kind of situation where you *should* be getting the vet's full attention.

Are you worrying that perhaps her pain meds aren't doing enough? If so, don't be afraid to push the vet. If the swelling appears normal to the vet but abnormal to you, it's up to the vet to explain to you why he sees it as acceptable (It could be that with the trauma she had to that area, swelling is to be expected?. I know that even when I've over- reacted, my vet has taken me seriously and explained things carefully and patiently, answering every question I have. You and your pup have been through a traumatic ordeal, and a wise vet would be taking extra care of both (all) of you.

Guest FordRacingRon

Well first off, I may have misrepresented the vet. We came in and picked up Leia on Friday when he was overloaded with walk-ins so he was trying to handle the 4 in the waiting room asking him questions simultaneously while he was talking to us. He really does do a good job, I could tell you the horror story of the first recommended vet we went to (this is Halloween),,but that's another thread.

Leia is doing fine. The swelling is an edema caused basically by gravity as the wounds are,,in human terms,,the chewed up part of the leg between the wrist and the elbow. So the blood flowing down to the wrist and paw are causing the swelling. We thought it may needed to be drained but it was good and no infection. He liked our cleaning method (the leg in the bucket trick) but gave (well sold!) us some antiseptic wipes and spray to use after our cleaning,,,and gave us more instructions on what to do for the cleaning,for therapy, and for Pain management. We got an anti-inflamatory prescription. Leia is resting now after a big big morning.

So on the way home Leia is trying to convey something to us, we didn't understand until she started doing it in the car,,,she had to poopoo. So we told her to stop (which she did), pulled over on AN LA FREEWAY IN RUSHHOUR and let Leia go on the shoulder of the highway. Something for people to tell their coworkers about when they get to work.

So far today,,no new questions. I did order some of the TRAUMEEL that was recommended, thank you to all the kind greyt folks here.

Edited to add : Okay I lied, I do have a question. the drug he gave us was Rimadyl. I googled it and found out it is good for some dogs, can kill others. Anyone have experience with this drug????

Edited by FordRacingRon

On the Rimadyl--make sure your vet has blood work scheduled to check the needed values (I forget if it's kidney or liver or what). If I remember correctly, Burpdog is familiar with the ins and outs of different NSAIDS.

One thing I'm pretty sure of is that you shouldn't give prednisone w NSAIDS.

Hope Leia is feeling better,

Donna

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

For short-term use (5-7 days), for a healthy dog, there isn't a need for prelim bloodwork. You won't be giving the drug long enough to retest. (Some may disagree, but that's what the manufacturer and many competent vets will tell you.) You do want to be aware of potential side effects, tho. If she gets upset tummy, diarrhea, or other unexplained gastro problems, discontinue use and call your vet.

Over the short term, most dogs tolerate NSAIDs just fine. Many people on this website recommend giving a sore dog an aspirin. It's in the same class of drugs. You're more likely to cause GI and other problems by giving aspirin than by giving Rimadyl or Deramaxx.

P.S. I'm glad to hear she's doing well. Tell her we're all worried about her and her parents, and to get better soon!

Edited by Batmom

Sending more prayers and healing hugs for sweet Leia. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.