Leia Bitten Again...2nd Time In 2 Weeks

Guest FordRacingRon

Guest FordRacingRon
E-collar -- if you have a flat tag collar or plain buckle collar (non martingale), you can put it on snugly high up on her neck, then attach the e-collar to that with a length of gauze. It might not work for you, but it might.

You could also try muzzling her if you have a plastic basket muzzle.

Don't worry about getting her up to potty quite as often as previously; the meds will undoubtedly slow her down some in *all* respects.

Sending lots more hugs.

Will try the e-collar advice. We had a little gauze loosly on alst night when we went to bed at 1130, i awoke at 230 to the sound sof her slurping,,she is licking thorugh the gauze. We take it off and try the basket muzzle. 5 minutes later she is alternating between crying due to the muzzle being on and licking through the muzzle .

i have another question. She is on two meds,,an antibiotic and some type of pain killer. The pain killer hypes her up badly. I would like to stop that but need something to calm her down at night. Would a benandryl hurt along with the anibiotic??

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd check with your vet. What is the pain killer that they gave her?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest sandysgreys

Ron:

Let me know if you want to borrow my "bite-not" collar that is a tube that goes around their neck and has a strap that goes behind the front two legs to keep it on.

I ordered my pepper spray today and will be carrying my collapsible metal baton (have no idea if it's legal). I live 2 blocks from the police station, so maybe that cuts down on the number of loose dogs. I have seen a few though, mostly the little yappers who were charging my high prey fosters - a different kind of scary experience. One thing that I have done with large dogs that were loose was to do put my dogs behind me and "guard" them by posturing, but that doesn't really work with a charging pitbull. It has worked on various loose boxers and mutts that charged my dogs though.

Take care, Sandy

Oh man! Just catching all this, huge lump in my throat for you all.

Best of luck for the future safety, and thank goodness you weren't all more seriously hurt!

Quick, uneventful healing, Leia!

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest FordRacingRon
I'd check with your vet. What is the pain killer that they gave her?

He gave her Torbutrol which I looked up and found it was fro kennal cough :unsure . I looked it up again and found it has various uses, kennal cough and a pain reliever as another. Side affects : drowsiness or hyper :unsure diareah or constipation :unsure ,,what the heck. She pottied good yesterday,,,but she is hyper.

Sandy,,,I'll email you at home.

I'd put in a call to your vet and see if you can get her a different pain reliever. Some meds just don't agree with some dogs, and that may be what you have going on.

Torbutrol would knock at least one of mine right out, so she isn't having the classic reaction to it. Poor little bug. :(

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

OMG, I just can't imagine. I hope and pray you all have a speedy recovery. Thank goodness you and you wife were together on this walk. Scratches will heal but emotionally it will certainly take time heal.

My two have been attacked 4 different times (fortunately no serious injuries), but because of that my two will not tolerate any loose/or leashed dogs coming up to them at a quick pace. I am always on alert when I'm walking them and am limited to where I walk them in my neighborhood.

I would contact animal control to make them aware of the loose dogs and hope and pray that this pit doesn't get the chance to hurt another dog or human for that matter. It's so dam unfortunate that responsible dog owners end up having to limit their walking areas because of other peoples stupidity with allowing their dogs to roam off leash. I hope you can find the pits owners and make them pay for your vet expenses. I think if I were you I would totally avoid that area and start to carry something to beat off any other loose dogs you may encounter in addition to the direct stop.

One thing I do when I'm walking my pups is wear a laynard around my neck with the direct stop hanging from it for easy access.

Take care and please let us know how things are going.

Praying for all the missing greys!

Guest ShelbyzMom

My husband & I have been thinking of you and your little girl since last night. I hope your family is well and she's starting to heal. Her biskies are in the oven as I type this, I hope she will enjoy them. Please give her a gentle kiss from us.

Guest Tenderhearts

I would also recommend contacting the vet for a different pain killer. I hurt for all of you. Continuing to send prayers to your precious girl :hope :hope :hope :hope

Guest FordRacingRon
My husband & I have been thinking of you and your little girl since last night. I hope your family is well and she's starting to heal. Her biskies are in the oven as I type this, I hope she will enjoy them. Please give her a gentle kiss from us.

Thank you Kim. I am afraid to tell Leia or she might pop her stiches (and man there are a lot of them..to amny to count) if she knew her "doggy crack" is coming.

She is finally sleeping and in front of me instead of in her bed. I see my girl returning to me mentally,,she even wanted a bellyrub. Brings a tear to my eye....

The sweatshirt around the leg is a good idea,,but its pretty hot here in SOCAL plus she would give the scream of death if we touched her leg,,learned that last night.

Sending more prayers...I am just so sorry...this is so sad and so unfair. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

When Kiowa had a wound he was licking I used a combination of an e-collar and a muzzle with the end taped off AND either a shirt or socks to cover the area. To keep the E-collar on you can punch some holes around the bottom of it and then use zip ties to keep it attached to the regular collar.

Guest TBSFlame

I am so sorry. This is why I don't walk my dogs anymore unless my dh is with me. It just isn't safe. We have people in our neighborhood that just let there dogs roam. It makes me so mad. Give your sweet hound a gentle hug from me.

Oh your poor, dear girl! You did do a wonderful job of protecting her--fought for all you were worth, and I'm sure you saved her life. You'll have time to figure out if walks are safe in your area and on which streets as she is healing.

Hugs to all 3 of you.

Guest FordRacingRon
. To keep the E-collar on you can punch some holes around the bottom of it and then use zip ties to keep it attached to the regular collar.

Brilliant....I discoverd an hour ago the e-collar doesn;'t work. I bought a small one and a big one (in length and circumference), the idea to use the small one to keep the big one on. I only had the small one on and really thought it would work because it stays on her head but I thought perhaps she could figure out how to lick with it on,,and she is smart enough to figure out how to lick with it on. So I used my idea and she went nuts. She will allow the big one on or the small one,,but not both, The big one falls off her head. The zip tie idea is brilliant,,,it will work. THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!

Guest longdogs
Edited to add: Is it cruel to make her get up when she doesn't want to,,to get her to go to the bathroom? Is it cruel to put her collar on and make her get up when she really wants to lie there? It scares me because she just seems to be zoned out and I am afraid she won't come back to us.

If she's anything like Nugget was, she'll be determined to go outside regardless. I wouldn't make her go out, except perhaps last thing at night if you aren't sleeping in the same room, I'd rely on her letting me know. Nugget managed without fail, even when she had to wake me and was dealing with bad diarrhoea from all her drugs. She managed this without even being able to stand unaided.

I don't know where I read it ..but somebody had taken a partial length of a pool noodle, covered it and fastened it to the regular collar to prevent it sliding off........it kept the pupper , like an E-collar from being able to lick herself.

Guest FordRacingRon

Leia update for those interested.

She is trying to get into her routines which makes me happy. She Has a wierd routine of where she lies in the house and when and instead of lying in her bed all day yesterday, she changed to her different spots throughout the evening as normal. One difference, my DW has a $250, what I think is called a Duvet, that she put in the livingroom for Leia to lie on in there since alone time in the LR is a daily must,,there are small blood stains on it so she used it. She is eating normal (although I have cut her portions back) and our outside "duites" are all moving fine.

The cone on her head is making here a little nuts but she is doing it,,the idea of zip tying it to a collar works perfectly and I THANK YOU for that advice.

I wonder, I know this is maybe rhetorical, if she will use her foot again. It is really really swollen still so she hops everywhere,,do dogs , like humans, go through their own version of therapy and will she walk on it, or because of the hurt might she never try it again??

Another thinng I noticed,,one of the staples from her 2 weeks ago beagle bite is still in,,the vet must have missed it. Must this come out immediatly or can she go for a bit with it ? I really don't want to try to get her to the vet again until next week.

Sorry for rambling, my DW walked by the fight site yesterday,,said it was horrible,,blood everywhere and you can see where Leia was dragging her feet during the attack,,think I'll pass.

Guest DutchCheddar

She'll use her foot again.

When Sequoia broke her toe, she was in a splint for 2 months. When she finally got it off, she's hobble around as if she still had the splint on. Even out on walks, initially, she'd hop around instead of walking. I knew that she could put the weight back on it, as she was walking around just fine with her splint on.

Sloooooooooooooow and steady should be the perscription for her rehab. At the same time, you've got to not let her get away with hobbling along once everything is healed up and fine. I had to tell Sequoia quite a bit, "No limping."... amazingly, she stopped limping and started walking.

Leia, I'm sure, will just have to be reminded that she'll be fine.

Guest PiagetsMom

Ron, I've been keeping up with this thread and send healing thoughts your way. I walk my girl twice a day, by myself, in our neighborhood and I'm always on the lookout for any stray dogs......it scares me, too.

wonder, I know this is maybe rhetorical, if she will use her foot again. It is really really swollen still so she hops everywhere,,do dogs , like humans, go through their own version of therapy and will she walk on it, or because of the hurt might she never try it again??

Maybe it depends on the dog, but Piaget had to have her rear leg surgically repaired after breaking it racing. That was 4 months ago. I would say 90% of the time she walks or runs normally, but there's that other 10% of the time that she hops around on three legs. In fact, she did that quite a bit on our walk this morning. We got an "all's well" from the vet and she doesn't seem to be in any pain that I can tell, so I don't think that's it, but I was told that it's quite common for greys to "favor" an injury for quite some time as more of a mental thing than for any actual physical reason.

She'll use the foot again. Might take her awhile, but she will.

You might put a call in to your vet re the swelling, if s/he hasn't seen it. Wanna make sure it's normal and OK, is all.

Guest SYMBASMOMMY

:blush:angryfire OMG...I am so so so very sorry...I am just reading about Leia....

You did protect her.....you and your wife did the very best you could under the circumstances....you are truly wonderful greyhound parents....you make me so proud to be a part of such a wonderful group of people...

This is my deep gut wrenching fear...I cannot just cannot let my guard down since Symba was bitten two months ago by a boston terrier....I was by myself...my DH was at work...I carry pepper spray now but will be getting a stun gun since a baseball bat or stick will not help I think...I really am not very strong and don't have much upper body strength....I feel only safe with the stun gun...something I can use before the dog gets within striking distance......

I know how you feel and reading your post brought back all my fears.....your baby will be okay.....they have to work through the trauma their way too....I noticed Symba was not himself for a few days too....

Just a suggestion from a loving grey parent also: try real hard to be brave in front of Leia...she is probably also feeling you and your wife's anxiety....I know my vet told us that with Symba.....I tried to put on a brave and happy face for him and did notice he improved a little faster when he stopped worrying about me... :blush

They are so sensitive and you and your wife are such good people....I am praying for your family and a return to happier days....I have adjusted my walking schedule since this incident.....I rise very early and take Symba out on the weekend mornings at around 7:00 a.m. before anybody else is up and active with their dogs....it has helped a lot and we see less dogs at that time.....during the week, my DH walks him at 6:00 a.m. as I am getting ready for work......I figure we can always take a nap...it is more important my dog is safe!

I know it is hard to do...but take each minute and heal....stop thinking about the past and think to the future and how you can prevent it...don't beat yourselves up anymore...please....

Just a sidebar...I have been asking and nobody can really tell me the answer to this...I will put it out here now....

Please...does anybody have an idea why our greyhounds are targets for such dog attacks? I have noticed from these posts that a lot of the dogs are off leash but they are coming from a yard or two away to attack our dogs....what is the reason they are easy targets?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts you can share.