Leia Bitten Again...2nd Time In 2 Weeks

Guest FordRacingRon

Guest GreyFox

Ditto what everyone else has said. You ABSOLUTELY protected Leia!! How could you have possibly have known that idiot dog was going to come out of nowhere? You were very very brave, you both acted very fast, and Leia is a very lucky dog to have you. Sending prayers and best wishes for a quick recovery for Leia (and you both!) and renewed enjoyment of walks.

Ruth

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FordRacingRon
. Are YOU ok? Did you suffer any bites?

Thank you everyone for you prayers and support. I think the prayers and white light are helping us.

For those that asked,,somehow I amazingly did not get bitten. Why, I don't know,,how, I don't know. I have just a bruised elbow and skinned knees. I did call an attorney and I am out of luck. In California a dog is just considered property so small claims court is the best I could do,,now if I would have been bitten it would have been a case. The problem I didn't want to mention is , according to the witnesses, the man that claimed the pitbull appeared to them to have gang affiliations. So going after him may bring more harm on us then good.

Leia slept all night. We did rouse her for a little food and she 3-legged hobbled to the back door for peepee,,I had to carry her down the stairs and to her spot and then back into the house. Same thing this morning. She spent all night in her bed in our den, so I slept on the floor with her in case she needed something.

Now I wonder,,she won't poo yet. When shoudl I be concerned,,by now she should have normally have had 2 poos,,one last night and one today. I realize with all the medicnes and such it could take a bit,,but when should I be worried?????

Edited by FordRacingRon

Oh that is so scary! Poor Leia and you!! One of my biggest fears is a loose aggresive dog. You did the best you could and most likely saved her life. I read in a book (greyhound for dummies I think) that ammonia capsules work great. I bought some at the pharmacy. Luckily I've never had to use it. If a fight starts it says to snap it open and throw it into the fight. It may give you enought time to get away. I carry one with me at all walks. I hope you NEVER have to go through that again!

Guest greytbookert
We are both menatlly crushed that we could not protect our dog. After last week we vowed to NEVER let her get bit again and today this happens and we were so helpless. We just think if we would have fought faster or harder maybe Leia would not be wounded now. Maybe the worst day in my life , worse then when I was told I had cancer (in remission right now),,,,way worse.

Poor Leia and poor you guys! you did protect her! It must have been a horrible ordeal, but you did protect her! If you hadn't intervened, lord only knows what could have happened.

Many thoughts and prayers for you all, as you decide which avenue to pursue! I'm glad that Leia's wounds only appear to be superficial at this point!

:grouphug

I know what you are going through. It's hard and it will take a long time before you are comfortable on a walk again. It's been almost 2 months since our last ordeal with a dog and I still watch my back and listen for paws behind us. We've taken to walking early in the morning or late in the evening when loose dogs are more likely to be inside or asleep.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Did she miss any meals yesterday due to being at vet's and/or not eat her full meal this morning? If so, less food = less poop. Also if she is not moving around as much, she won't get the urge. I'm betting you'll see some poop by tonight.

Hugs and more hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FordRacingRon
Did she miss any meals yesterday due to being at vet's and/or not eat her full meal this morning? If so, less food = less poop. Also if she is not moving around as much, she won't get the urge. I'm betting you'll see some poop by tonight.

Hugs and more hugs.

Actually last night we fed her more guilt food then her normal diet, jsut o get somehting in her belly. So she had homemade beef broth with beef chunks,,some cottage cheese,,some liver Happy Hips treats,,and eventually some of her nomal kibble. this morning she had about 1/2 her nomal kibble. I called the vet and they told me she was under for over an hour while being stitched up so being backed up will be normal. they said I shoulc expect some movement this afternnon or tommorw,,if not,,bring her back in on Monday.

We got a look at her wounds finally after taking off the bandage. Just horrific. Stitches and staples all up and dwon her leg. We noticed today she also has stitches on ther rear thigh on the inside,,we couldn't really get a look at her leg last night but just noticed them today.

I am emotionally torn between :angryfire and :(

I'm so sorry your poor girl and you two had to go through this!! :( :( :(

I hope she heals up very fast! :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

How horrible! I can understand why it might make more sense to not pursue the pits owners. Truth is you are unlikely to ever get any kind of true compensation or satisfaction out of it.

Have you considered in addition to the Direct Stop carrying some kind of walking stick? That's what I do and while it's kind of a pain to handle 2 dogs and carry a big stick, that stick works wonders for keeping aggressive dogs away from us. So far I've only had to use it as a method of distracting other dogs, but if there was ever an all out attack I wouldn't hesitate to use it for other purposes.

Guest MPPwith3

Reading this has scared the crap out of me. I don't have a DH to help me walk my girls. And even though most of the places we walk are empty (no one around), I've decided to heck with direct stop, I'm carrying my 6 inch diving knife.

Edited to add: Is there some privately own enclosed area, either inside or out (local adoption groups may know of some places), horse barns, corporate fields, anything where you can buy time there? I hate the thought of having to buy outside time, but, you guys just need a break from the outside world.

Edited by MPPwith3

I think you were very reactive and probably saved her life. How many times have you heard stories about people being seriously injured or mauled by vicious pets.

It must be very painful to watch your sweet girl suffer but it sounds like you didn't waste any time protecting your family.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest FordRacingRon
Reading this has scared the crap out of me. I don't have a DH to help me walk my girls. And even though most of the places we walk are empty (no one around), I've decided to heck with direct stop, I'm carrying my 6 inch diving knife.

Edited to add: Is there some privately own enclosed area, either inside or out (local adoption groups may know of some places), horse barns, corporate fields, anything where you can buy time there? I hate the thought of having to buy outside time, but, you guys just need a break from the outside world.

We live about 16 miles east of Los Angeles,,with a way overcrowded urban type setting with homes and homes and strip malls and malls and more homes,,,and a lot more nasty people seem to be moving in every year. I like the barn idea,,but the nearest one is probably 100 miles away and there are no industial parks near us. I don't trust the dog park,,which is 15 miles away. We have decided on a new route though,,its said to have to change because inconsiderate neighbors,

My DW is convinced is she were alone Leia would be dead,,I think if I were alone she would have been gravely injured so the teamwork paid off. But its sad to think you can never walk your dog alone. We will no longer be carrying Directstop,,we are going to invest in 2 cans of pepperspray (buy some mace and get it registered), a baseball bat and we are thinking about a stungun. I sounds so violent but this is what we need until we get out of here.

Edited to add: Is it cruel to make her get up when she doesn't want to,,to get her to go to the bathroom? Is it cruel to put her collar on and make her get up when she really wants to lie there? It scares me because she just seems to be zoned out and I am afraid she won't come back to us.

Edited by FordRacingRon

Oh Ron, how awful - our fence was built partly because a nasty white pit moved into the neighborhood and charged up the bank at us (in our own yard) one day. I'm a chicken and I like your idea of moving unless you can put up a big old fence and play inside it. Yes, it's giving in to the terrible people and someone has to stand up to them. But I'm afraid it doesn't do much good, and nice people only get hurt. I don't think you can legally carry a taser or something of that sort, but with what you've been going through, it sounds like it might be practical. You don't need this kind of stress if you are in remission.

Your story is the kind that makes me cringe and never want to leave the house. :( I've been charged by off-leash dogs several times while walking my dogs, and have been extremely lucky that they were deterred by me before making contact with my hounds. I rarely have company when walking my pups, and have frankly become overconfident that nothing bad will happen. Your story proves otherwise. So thank you at the very least for the eye-opener.

Edited to add: Is it cruel to make her get up when she doesn't want to,,to get her to go to the bathroom? Is it cruel to put her collar on and make her get up when she really wants to lie there? It scares me because she just seems to be zoned out and I am afraid she won't come back to us.

No it is not cruel. She is probably woozy/sleepy from pain meds, and it likely just hurts to get up and move right now. But it is a necessary evil, and trying to get her back on a schedule or routine of "potty walks" is a good idea. The anaesthesia definitely does have the side-effect of slowing the bowels, so don't panic about that. Just allow her the chance to try every few hours or so.

Hope she heals quickly. :goodluck

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest argolola

I am so sorry this has happened to your sweet girl, and you and your wife. You will all 3 be in my prayers.

We never walk without taking a cane with us. Our girl was attacked last December and had over 50 wounds. Off leash dogs are one of my greatest fears.

God bless you all and quick healing to your precious Leia.

You have lived through my worst nightmare. I walk my dogs alone now, as DH has trouble walking and will shortly have a hip replacement. My dogs have always been walked twice a day in addition to their time in our yard. The love their walks and we walk in all kinds of weather. I enjoy my alone time with each one as well. I am thinking I should take some kind of protection with me now.

I am sorry for your sweet Leia and hope you all recover from your wounds; those that are physical as well as emotional.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I understand how you feel, but you did what you could. Leia will heal but it will take you longer to heal emotionally. My grey was attacked three times and I have never been the same. My prayers go out to all of you.

Guest GreyFox
Is it cruel to make her get up when she doesn't want to,,to get her to go to the bathroom? Is it cruel to put her collar on and make her get up when she really wants to lie there? It scares me because she just seems to be zoned out and I am afraid she won't come back to us.

No, it is not cruel, it is kind actually, although it may not feel like it. Leia needs to get up for pee breaks, and even just to move around. I don't believe she's left you, Ron. Anisthetic takes a lot out of a body - add to that the surgery and she's got a lot to sleep off. I'm sure that in a day or two she'll start to "wake up". And then she'll be thanking you for saving her life!

Please ... make sure you and your DW are taking good care of each other. You've been through a horrible ordeal.

Ruth

Poor Leia! She looks like such a delicate, fragile little thing in your siggy, I can imagine your horror!!!

Many, many {{{ HUGS}}} to you, DW and your sweet baby girl!

gallery_11362_3294_17365.png
"Hurricane Sandi" (Baurna to Run).

Forever missing my "Angel-With-A Crooked-Halo" Hailey, and "Mokkah" (Xpress Point) with all my heart.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ~~Will Rogers

:jaw OMG - We finally moved from LA to Vegas and from Vegas to Portland, Oregon area - what a difference. This is when we also got Vinnie :angelwings (our forever puppy) and now Princess Gracie Lou (his sister) :wub: . I remember your many words of encouragement and want to give some back to you (especially as I sit on the couch with a goofy roaching puppy). First of all, wow, are you brave! :bow:bow I don't know many that would tackle an attacking, loose, pitbull, let alone someone who would be able to pull one off that has its jaws clamped around your precious Princess Leia's leg! So glad that your wife :bow2:bow2 had the clear head to get away with her before you all got attacked again.

Have you tried walking at a local school - high school tracks are great and I know tons of schools in your area. I was always afraid of loose dogs when my son was a toddler and we lived in the valley, so we would go for walks and play at the high school not far from us. But if you are serious about getting away and finding a place that your baby can be safe and where the air is clean, that is a great place to keep your cancer at bay, this is a wonderful place to be! Clean air, beautiful mountains and oceans close by, rivers all over the place and one of the most dog friendly places I have ever been. And one of the best places to keep that horrible cancer in remission - whether it be us or our furkids!

We are sending lots of :dogcookie scritches, healing thoughts and prayers for you all. :candle:hope Hoping she gets up soon and starts running :gh_run2 around like her old self again. Keep us posted. :getwell

PS - Hope that the scumbag that owns the pitbull gets the same in return, ten-fold. I know how difficult it can be when anyone has any kind of gang affiliation, especially out there, all you can do is hope that someday he gets his in return.

Guest FordRacingRon

For those interested,,Leia is a mess. The pain pills we were given keep her awake,,we tried to handle this withouh an e-collar and that won't work,,I stayed up all night (so far maybe 6 hours sleep in 2 days) keeping Leia from licking. Her wounds are oozing,,her leg is really torn up. Today I am going to get an e-collar and somehow get it to fit. FYI, I tried one with her beagle bite and because ehr head is smaller then her neck they all slide of. I will have to alter one somehow. She will hobble to the potty and back but her foot is 1 1/2 times normal size and she won't stnad on it at all (who whould?).

I have had a few PMs about going to schools and what have you,,other sfae places,,and you all have wonderul ideas but I sort of want to soapbox this for those joining in late. We have lived here for 19 years. For the last 10 or so I have been in the area first a jogger, then a walker (have been retired for 5 years, althou I am 54) and since we got Leia (11 months ago) a 2 times a day walker (we have only missed maybe 15 days since we brought Leia home). Once in the Am and once in the afternoon. NEVER in the afternoon have I seen a loose dog. Almost once a week there is a loose dog somewhere, always a little yappy one,except for the beagle last week always a dog that can be scared away so even though we carried Diercet Stop we were pretty complacent. We always looked for ambushes by dogs on the street and that is why we had been so successful. But we were at a schools baseball diamond area when the attack occured. Never has that happened and never have I ever seen a loose pitbull anywhere in 19 years. They are around, heck my neighbors have one, but I never have seen a loose one. The dog was hiding behind the restroom that we had just circled. So the moral of the story is,,it can happen to anyone, anytime, anywhere and even though it never has, WE MUST be vigilant in protecting our dogs. I pray none of you have to go through this and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for the white light and prayers you are sending. I swear THIS WILL NEVER happen again to my girl and I hope never to your puppers either.

E-collar -- if you have a flat tag collar or plain buckle collar (non martingale), you can put it on snugly high up on her neck, then attach the e-collar to that with a length of gauze. It might not work for you, but it might.

You could also try muzzling her if you have a plastic basket muzzle.

Don't worry about getting her up to potty quite as often as previously; the meds will undoubtedly slow her down some in *all* respects.

Sending lots more hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.