Leia Bitten Again...2nd Time In 2 Weeks

Guest FordRacingRon

Guest FordRacingRon

This is unbelievable, but my girl was torn up today by a pitbull. Last week tuesday she was biitne by a beagle in the rear ankles,,today was the day her staples were to come out. She was doing really well,,happy thi smorning,,bouncing along during her walk (I think she knew her staples were coming out) and then.....

We are a half mile from home. There is this small park,,really just two baseball fields, a swingset and a building that has the restrooms and snack bar for the little leauge is on the property. We have circled the place once, are getting 1/2 through our second lap and running out from behind the snackbar, right when we passed, is a pitbull and a Gernam shepard. It was less then a second and the pit had Leia by the front leg. I dove on the pit and was hitting it,,my Directstop is in my pocket. My DW is trying to pull Leia away and I am wrestling the pit and trying to pull its jaw open while Leia is trying to get away , doing the scream of death. She is way too sweet to try to defend herself. I finnaly get the jaws loose,,somehow the directspray is in my hand and I pump the whole bottle up the pits nose . The entire episode is a blur,,but it was horrible.

My DW runs away with Leia as I pin down the pit and let them get away,,BTW the shepard has no clue whats going on and just stand watching. I am terrified that Leia has a crushed or broken leg and is bleeding to death . My DW and I meet halfway home,,both running as fast as we can, and we are just so tired so I start carrying Leia as far as I can and my DW go on ahead and gets the car. We call the vet enrout, he has just opened, and we take her in.

This evening we got Leia back,,she has a bunch of stitches (will see tomorrow when the wrap comes off) but really can't walk so I have to carry her up the steps and put her in her bed. I thank God her leg is still attached, the wounds were I guess more superficial so I hope me fighting the pitbull and pulling its jaws apart helped. This is one of the top 5 worse days in my life.

We are both menatlly crushed that we could not protect our dog. After last week we vowed to NEVER let her get bit again and today this happens and we were so helpless. We just think if we would have fought faster or harder maybe Leia would not be wounded now. Maybe the worst day in my life , worse then when I was told I had cancer (in remission right now),,,,way worse.

Edited by FordRacingRon

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh, you did everything a person could, and that was a lot. You got the other dog to let go, you got Leia away, you and your DW got away.

The world would be a much nicer place if only intelligent, responsible people owned dogs.

I'm sorry Leia got it again. Sending hugs and wishes for easy healing.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

i'm so sorry. i can't imagine how scary that must've been, and to have it happen twice!

you did protect leia. think about what would have happened if you and your wife weren't there to help her...:grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest KennelMom

Oh gosh :( What terrible luck!! Sending prayers and healing thoughts to you and Leia. It sounds like you did everything you could and you did protect her...imagine the damage that would have been done if you hadn't jumped on the pit bull the way you did. Was the owner around? You should at least file a report with animal control if you haven't already done so.

Guest FordRacingRon

No owner. We went back to the park to see if the dog was there and animal control was. Across the street is a Christian school and some of the parents saw it going on and called for help,,(one of the ladys ran acoss the street but it was over by then and we were on our way.) They said right after we left some mean looking tatooed man pulled up in an SUV, jumped out saying that was his dog, grabbed it and drove off. They got the license number and Animal control is supposed to find them for us. Then we have to confront them to get the money for the vet bill,,like thats going to happen.

RIght now all thats important is she heals,,and I pray she will even want to go on walks again. Those are her favorite times of the days. Now our best time were ruined by inconsiderate owners that don't keep thier dogs controlled. We think we are going to leave LA for anyhwere less crowded so we can have peace and grow old with our best girl. The violence here is enough.

Edited by FordRacingRon

Poor baby Leia...

You did a fantastic job as a protector of those you love. :yay

I'm glad it's superficial... and I'm sure you'll have her feeling better in no time.

I am so very sorry this has happened AGAIN. As others have said, thank goodness you were (yes you did) able to protect your girl. A pitbull clamped on is no walk in the park, it's actually amazing you got him off of her.

Have several stiff drinks, and start looking for a baseball diamond and some grey buddies to get together with. You are going to be nervous for quite some time on walks; we found that going to baseball diamonds with other greys or even on our own was a lot more relaxing than having to look out for other dogs all the time, never mind all the other trouble out there on walks like glass, wormy poop, and dead animals. In time, you will be able to relax a bit, and consider going for walks again. I always try to take my boys out when there are less dogs around, like late at night or very early in the morning. But the diamond is the big favorite around here, both for people and greys.

Keep your chin up, you did your best and your girl is still in one piece because of you both.

:gouphug :grouphug :grouphug

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Ron and Ann, my heart aches for you, dealing with yet another vicious attack on your sweet baby girl. :( You did all the right things to rescue her from a very bad situation. Unfortunately, the reality is that this can happen anywhere. It's legal to carry pepper spray here (mace) if you take a class. It's much more potent than Direct Stop. A big stick or golf club might have been useful, had you had seconds more notice. Thankfully, you and your DW were both there, so you could coordinate the escape. I hope you'll pursue filing a report with AC, as this is clearly an idiot owner with an aggressive off-leash dog. It's not illegal to be stupid, but letting a vicious dog off-leash is. In my mind, it's the same as a hit and run "accident". :angry: Do you have any friends that are attorneys you could talk to? Surely you could go to small claims court and get a judgment against him for the vet bills. Keeping Princess Leia in my prayers for full healing on all levels. :hope Many hugs to you both... :bighug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I can not begin to imagine your anguish and fear. You did everything right...sending gentle hugs and healing prayers to all of you. Please keep us posted as to how your little baby girl is doing...I am so sorry this happened not once but twice. :(:grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest gleigh78

:( Oh no, this is awful! I'm so sorry this has happened again. Like the others said, please don't beat yourself up. You can't predict the future, and you DID help her. You saved her life.

:grouphug

My heart's in my throat because this is my greatest fear, and it's why I moved to our new neighborhood just 3 weeks ago.

Prayers for your babe to heal quickly, and that the pit owner will be charged with whatever can be leveled against him. What is it with people and their unleashed dogs??? I just don't understand it. Thank goodness the other dog just stood by. Are YOU ok? Did you suffer any bites?

Mom to Daisy (1999-2012), LB (aka Little Bit), and Sammy James (aka Sammy or Buddy)

Guest PNWtrillium

Ron, I have no words. Will light a candle for all three of you as soon as I hit Send. I ask for comfort and healing to surround each of you and sink in at the deepest levels. Feel the love you three share and bask in it together. Just love.....

Marcella

Ron, my heart goes out to you, your wife, and Leia. I can't imagine your horror, but was so impressed that you jumped on that Pit Bull to tear it off. Praise God you weren't injured in the process as well. All our prayers for Leia to heal completely and quickly, and not sustain any lasting emotional trauma from this ordeal.

When you're ready, please do all you can to get that dog's owner to pay. If he gets away scot free, you bet someone else's dog will be the next victim.

Keep us updated on how Leia's doing. Lots of gentle hugs to her!

Guest sandysgreys

Ron - you and Ann are the best dog-parents I have ever known and Leia is truly Princess Leia. You were incredibly brave to do what you did to protect your dog. I'm so glad she's back home with you.

Reggie and Cantel send their love and want to visit with their buddy still in November.

Sandy

Guest darlene

Ron, Ann, and Princess Leia, hugs and licks coming to you from me and my crew! Sounds like you all worked together as a family to deal with a horrible situation! :grouphug Hope Leia heals quickly :dogcookie

What a nightmare to go through...I really feel for you both hoping that your hound recovers as fast as possible...

I had happen similar situations and I'm always close to a heart attack...it's so terribly upsetting to have to go through

these unnecessary sufferings with our hounds only because 'other' dogowners just are so darn irresponsable....

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Guest Gr8hounds

That is terrible! I really hope you find the Pitt's owner! Have you tried mace? I just bought some this week formulated especially for dogs at Gander Mountain! I really hope Leia is ok!

Guest vahoundlover

I am so sorry :grouphug This is one of my biggest fears. I thought we lived in a good neighborhood and have had very few run ins with loose dogs UNTIL this summer...needless to say...my confidence has been shaken quite a few times...DH is walking with me now and he HATES to walk. Don't be so hard on yourself, you did everything you could and you DID protect your Leia! Sending healing prayers.

No owner. We went back to the park to see if the dog was there and animal control was. Across the street is a Christian school and some of the parents saw it going on and called for help,,(one of the ladys ran acoss the street but it was over by then and we were on our way.) They said right after we left some mean looking tatooed man pulled up in an SUV, jumped out saying that was his dog, grabbed it and drove off. They got the license number and Animal control is supposed to find them for us. Then we have to confront them to get the money for the vet bill,,like thats going to happen.

Thank heaven they saw and acted on what they saw! :hope

I hope they find that guy and throw the book at him - AND that he pays your bill. I know it is nowhere near compensation for what happened to poor Leia, but it is only right that he is made to pay and made to control his dog.

I am sending good thoughts and prayers to you all, especially sweet Leia. :bighug

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop