The Grand Old Duke

Guest lisa73

Its with all the pain I can hold in my heart that I type this post to let you know that sadly the Grand Old Duke left us yesterday and made his way to Rainbow Bridge to be with his sister Maisy and my heart Dizzy.

It was totally unexpected, no illness in fact apart from those tired old legs was doing and looking really well. He ate his breakfast yesterday morning, had his usual pootle round the garden, enjoyed his chew stick whilst the other dogs took their walk and greeted us on our return. Shortly after this he chose his time, he made his way into the open crate, lay down on his bed and went to sleep.

Im sure its a way we would all choose for our hounds quietly and with dignity at a time chosen by themselves, but doesnt at the moment feel like much concelation for the heartache and shock we are feeling at the discovery of his passing. Duke always liked his personal space and enjoyed his periods of solitude so for him it was exactly the right way, never one for a fuss.

We miss you big lad and always will, forever in our hearts and loved to eternity. Sleep well my Duke you took all of me I could give with you when you left.

walk2.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:(:grouphug I'm so sorry for your loss. f_yellow Run free, Duke. :gh_runner

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Sleep tight big Duke :inlove

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

I am so sorry for your loss. I know your heart is breaking...I wish I had words to console you but I can say this...in a few weeks or months, your tears will be accompanied with some smiles & giggles at the memories you have. They bring so much happiness to our lives & we were chosen by them to complete their life. Or maybe its the other way around because I feel like they completed every thing in my life. I hope you find comfort in knowing that you were loved by this beautiful creature.

:f_red:heart:paw:gh_lay:paw:heart:f_red

I am so sorry :grouphug :grouphug

Run Free Duke :gh_run2

Edited by StridersSis

Kim, mom to Reno (Slatex Reno), sister to Daffy (Bally's Flack), Ashley and Sue (racing names unknown), and Bridge kids Strider (7/28/94-4/16/05), RW's Dallas (12/17/98- 06/26/2010), Odd Taylor (aka Lizzie), JC's Curfew (4/6/2005- 4/22/2010), Winnie(Pooh Bear)my heart dog, and Rocky the beagle

{{{{{{{{{{Lisa}}}}}}}}}}

I'm so sorry. It seems like the girls just left, and for Duke to have to leave so soon ... that's hard.

Go find your sisters, big fellow. Perhaps the three of you together can make some beautiful sweet dreams to send your momma.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.