Redness On Paws

Guest greyhoundude

Guest greyhoundude

Greetings to all! My grey, Tom, has major red areas on his paws: knuckles, in between his toes and the underside of his paws and up his ankle (but not on the pads themselves). The redness is most noticable after excercise. He does spend some time licking the red areas, but doesn't seem obsessed with licking them. A good portion of Tom's lower body is white, which may exaggerate the redness a bit, but it looks as though there is major inflammation occuring. He seems to be in some discomfort, favoring his right front paw at the moment.

Any ideas? I think it may be more than a allergic reaction, but I'm not sure.

how long has the licking been going on? loca does that every autumn. with her, it's seasonal allergies. if it seems more than that, maybe a vet visit is in order?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

My Andy has the same thing and it's allergies. I can give him Benedryl for a couple of days and the redness goes away.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest greyhoundude
My Andy has the same thing and it's allergies. I can give him Benedryl for a couple of days and the redness goes away.

Thanks for responding! What dosage of Benedryl? Is it generally safe for greys?

I can give Andy a low dose 25mg. and it works but you can give as much as 50mgs. Depending on how your pup handles it he could become sleepy. I try and give it to Andy at night so he's not sleepy during the day. I don't know that it helps with the sleepiness though because that's all he does anyway. :lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

sounds like an allergy to me...could be a food allergy, has the diet been changed recently?

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

can benedryl be given when the grey takes metacam. Missy has arthitis and takes metacam daily. she licks her paws constantly....no sign of redness or inflamation. she did have a toe removed (benign growth) a couple of years ago. but she all four paws. I was considering asking vet about benedryl, but possibly someone here knows! thanks.

Guest greyhoundude
sounds like an allergy to me...could be a food allergy, has the diet been changed recently?

No, his diet has not changed. All his paws are red and his front right paw appears to be the worst, as he is favoring it.

Guest greyhoundude
you say this is most noticeable after excercise, is there any chance the areas he is playing in have been treated with some kind of chemical?

I stopped putting chemicals on my yard a couple of years ago, so chemicals are unlikely.

• 1 year later...
Guest three_dog_night

We just took one of our grey's to the vet for the same thing....red paws and ears. The vet stated that it is definitely a diet reaction. He also stated that just because we have not changed his brand of food, doesn't mean that the manufacturer couldn't have changed it or added something else (all three of our dogs have been eating the same food for 6+ years and only 1 has this redness).

Our vet recommended switching to a Hypo-allergenic brand of food.

I will keep you all posted as we monitor the results.