Let Me Show You Why They Give Us Those Muzzles

Guest JudiK

Do you muzzle?  

825 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the muzzles that came with your hounds?

• I never muzzle.
    • We use muzzles in the car.
    • We use muzzles inside fenced areas.
    • We muzzle new dogs & fosters.
    • (Other) please explain.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest team_weasel

I chose "other" in the poll. My answer would have been "all of the above except for #1".. we muzzle in the car (if there is more than one hound), we muzzle outside in the fenced-in area when they are running around and we muzzle new/fosters as well. They are comfortable and used to wearing them during these times, and most of all, they are safe. We had the muzzles off during one incident and have learned our lesson.

Dauphinelaura, I'm surprised your adoption group didn't provide you with a muzzle. You can order one from here: http://birdwellenterprises.com/ at an affordable price, if your group doesn't already carry them.

Guest Redpack

When meeting a new animal. I never do in the yard. I have littermates and they get along. Also...if you throw a ball, toy or frisbee...even a treat.. they watch admiringly and then look back at you as if to say "Nice throw, now go get it!"

Do I need to muzzle them?

Guest albrodie

Wow, I'm glad I saw this thread. It just adds to my concern over my girls recent behaviors (see growling all of a sudden thread). And the thing with the nails, I really, really need to get out my dremel. My girls have always been fine together running in the back yard and I see now how naive I have been to think everything is ok if they are supervised. The muzzles from the adoption group don't seem to stay on. Where can I get some good ones. Also, they have never been muzzled since I have had them, they will probably freak out won't they?

Guest charmsmom
When meeting a new animal. I never do in the yard. I have littermates and they get along. Also...if you throw a ball, toy or frisbee...even a treat.. they watch admiringly and then look back at you as if to say "Nice throw, now go get it!"

Do I need to muzzle them?

Paris and Charm get along fine, too. The problem is that when they get overexcited, they forget their manners. Muzzle. :)

• 1 month later...
Guest metgirl23

I always muzzle my dogs outside. I rarely muzzle inside unless I have a foster and then they are all muzzled.. It depending how long the foster stays -weeks then they stay muzzled with my dogs around-

months- then I gauge how they react to things with my pack and decide..

I always muzzle all my dogs in the car except when Stormy and Lakota together are in the car.. They are littermates and never fight over anything.. I still get nervous about it with Stormy being the ALpha so lately I even muzzle them together..

My previous Alpha was not the laid back Alpha Stormy is. Calean would disipline other dogs so I learned the hard way .. ALWAYS MUZZLE... It took me over $1000 in bite wounds to finally just make myself do it.

Its better to be safe than sorry.. The muzzles dont hurt then and they can play with them on.. They can drink in them too.. They grew up wearing them . Its us as people that have the problem..

Nails to can be a issue but if kept up it will eliminate a lot of cut woes too .. Not just to other dogs but with dog getting hurt running around..

It takes so little time to muzzle hounds. Is it really that much of an effort to put a muzzle on???? What is the cost for anyone (dollars, time, pain, and regret) to use a muzzle? Think of the hounds that have had to have stitches because someone doesn't think a muzzle is necessary. Pain, money, and time. It's not the people who suffer, it's the hounds.

We keep our dogs muzzled at all times when we are not home and when tyhey play in the yard. So Sorry this happened, but it can happen in a matter of seconds, when we got our other boy we had just came back from playtime let them in the house and heard a noise, they were fighting, thnak god it was not too serious.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest act2redux
MUZZLES!!

*In the car with more than 1 hound traveling.

*In the car with 1 hound if left unsupervised (even to pump gas)

*In the house if not crated when no one is home.

*In the yard regardless of how much supervision is out there with them.

*When introducing new pups

*Some for doing toe nails.

*Some for going to the vet.

*When cat testing.

*When "we can't play nice" even in the house.

*When a pack seems unstable.

*I'm sure the list goes on...

EVERY DOG IS MUZZLED....

I thought it was unnecessary to muzzle unless you were doing introductions, or a dog park deal. Thanks for the heads up!!

I don't know that I will ever muzzle as much as some, but after having to muzzle a foster due to his control issues in the yard, and had begun to consider it for his snippy attitude when inside with others...

I just started fostering a few months ago and a lot of this stuff I had never considered a problem/ potential issue. I was obviously wrong and am now so glad that all of our "kids " come from the track / farm along with their kennel muzzle! This thread has shed a whole new light on potential vet visits that I can DEFINATELY live without!

Guest krisandzoo

Do you all muzzle your non greys when they play? Right now I have 3 non greys and one grey. I will be getting one more grey soon so I am curious what everyones experience is here. If you do then what kind of muzzle would you use?

Do you all muzzle your non greys when they play? Right now I have 3 non greys and one grey. I will be getting one more grey soon so I am curious what everyones experience is here. If you do then what kind of muzzle would you use?

When one dog is muzzled, they should all be muzzled, including non-greyhounds :) You can buy a basket muzzle from Petedge.com. If your non-grey is a whippet or other small sighthound, I think Halemar sells tiny basket muzzles.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest krisandzoo

When one dog is muzzled, they should all be muzzled, including non-greyhounds :) You can buy a basket muzzle from Petedge.com. If your non-grey is a whippet or other small sighthound, I think Halemar sells tiny basket muzzles.

Thanks! The only muzzles I see readily available around here are mesh and don't allow for drinking. I would never leave one of those on a dog for more tha 15 min. One of my non greys is a whippet mix so it may work. I will check that site out especiall since I am getting one more grey soon!

Thank you for posting that.

I'm frequently STUNNED at the number of pictures I see of dogs outside with NOTHING on their necks.

As anyone whose dog has ever gotten away can attest, it only takes one mistake, on forgotten gate, one accidental opening of a door...

It's just not worth the risk!

I hope your baby is MUCH better by now!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest GentleHugs

I use muzzles when needed. In the car, out in the yard, meeting new dogs for the first time anywhere, etc.

My thoughts are I'd rather pay $10 for a muzzle and use it when needed than to pay a $500 to $1000 vet bill and have my dog go through the stress, pain and suffering from being injured. Better safe than sorry.

Muzzles are a good tool when used properly for the right reasons.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mymainegreys

Our yard is not fenced in so ours get "free running" time when we bring them to a local outdoor hockey rink where the boards are left up year round. (Obviously no all-out running play time in the winter as we live in Maine) Anyway, we have had our 2 greys for :chelsea 4 1/2 years and Herbie 3 1/2. Chelsea is definitely the alpha and the first time we took them for a game of fetch Chelsea was really aggressive with Herbie. We did end up muzzling her becuase she is constantly nipping at him in an effort to get him to play. (I know, they should both be muzzled but....)ANYWAY.....she still ended up tearing his skin a little as she would charge and jump.....she caught him with her claws several times so now we have them run one at a time. It's too bad because they are good friends but we are afraid of an innocent accident that may result in a major wound.

Guest vahoundlover

Yes, we muzzle our std poodle when the others are muzzled, which is ALWAYS outside and in the car. If a dog is here for babysitting we muzzle everyone until they calm down and get to know each other/re-aquant..some they already know but are still muzzled until we feel comfortable that everyone is going to be ok.

Only muzzled when they are let off leash in the nearby field.

The rest of the time they are never muzzled, but the muzzles go everywhere with us.

Just in case Niki decides to revert, or we bump into a JR/squirrel...

We notice their behaviour got worse with the muzzles on. Particularly Nik's aggressive reactions to other dogs. Without the muzzles they walk like sweet little lambkins.

The rest of the story: Someone remarked that they hoped Bookie is better by now - yes, but she will always have a big scar. Pere has never bitten again. There have probably been close to 30 fosters through here since... and we have added a seizure hound who refuses to stay inside an x-pen (she just hops over while I'm away,) so now everyone is muzzled while I'm at work. I use muzzles far more often than I ever thought would before this thread was born.

Edited by JudiK

We use muzzles in the car as Zelda likes to stand at first and has stepped on Pop a couple of times...he's yelped at her but nothing more (did I mention that he really loves having a sister and they get along pretty darn well, but I still don't trust them without muzzles in the car). Plus, even when Pop was an only grey, we used a muzzle as he thought there was tons of yummy stuff outside (rabbit poop), so he has one of those white muzzles from NGA where they can't eat anything really with them on (in addition to the muzzle he came with when we adopted him). We're going to get Zelda one of those muzzles as well as she also thinks that there's yummy stuff in the yard, but it looks like dog poop on her muzzle...we muzzle both when they go outside as we have been told about the possibility of nips when playing...I'm glad someone posted about this just to drive the fact home what can happen, even if the greys have muzzles on but manage to slip them off.

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Guest Nelsonismyhero

My dogs don't play much in the yard so I don't muzzle them when we are at home. However, at the dog park they have a tendency to get a bit crazy so I always muzzle them there. I've heard people say that they would never do that because they fear that if their dog were to be attacked by another dog they wouldn't be able to defend themselves. That may be so, but I also muzzle them for the safety of the smaller park patrons who might suddenly remind my dogs of a rabbit. I dunno, I think all dogs at the park should be muzzled regardless of breed.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LindsaySF
I dunno, I think all dogs at the park should be muzzled regardless of breed.

I agree. And until that happens I won't be visiting any dog parks. It's just too dangerous IMO.

Guest LindsaySF

This is a good thread, and a very important reminder, to newbies and experienced owners alike. Some may call us paranoid for insisting on muzzles in cars and at playgroups, but the pictures in this thread tell you why.

I also think dogs should be muzzled or separated when no one is home. I can point out a number of threads where dogs that live together and have always gotten along have gotten into it and an ER vet visit and stitches were needed. Dogs will be dogs, you never know what they are going to fight over.

~Lindsay~

Guest Pokey_GAPTAS

Generally, I try to avoid having more than two dogs in a situation where they're going to get excited.

Our front yard is fenced off from the back yard and because I'm paranoid about somebody opening the front gate and letting the hounds out, they only get short periods of supervised play in the front yard.

This has caused "front yard time" to become a very exciting event for the hounds and after a few accidents, they now go into the front yard in pairs.

Muzzles might prevent a bit of damage in a fight but you really can't rely on them to prevent injury. Sooty (a foster pup) had a large chunk ripped out of his back by a larger foster pup who was muzzled so now we just make sure they don't get into situations that are likely to result in trouble.