Let Me Show You Why They Give Us Those Muzzles

Guest JudiK

Do you muzzle?  

825 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the muzzles that came with your hounds?

• I never muzzle.
    • We use muzzles in the car.
    • We use muzzles inside fenced areas.
    • We muzzle new dogs & fosters.
    • (Other) please explain.

MUZZLES!!

*In the car with more than 1 hound traveling.

*In the car with 1 hound if left unsupervised (even to pump gas)

*In the house if not crated when no one is home.

*In the yard regardless of how much supervision is out there with them.

*When introducing new pups

*Some for doing toe nails.

*Some for going to the vet.

*When cat testing.

*When "we can't play nice" even in the house.

*When a pack seems unstable.

*I'm sure the list goes on...

EVERY DOG IS MUZZLED....

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greycious_gal

I've always muzzled at introductions, in groups, and when behavior suggests it (chewing, stool munching, or snarky attitude).

With my two greys I kept them muzzled for a while when unsupervised and when they were out in the yard. When we were pretty confident that the pack dynamics were established and calm, I stopped muzzling.

The thing to consider at this point is: do I trust them too much?

In the van, in the house (when I'M gone), and in the yard, if they're running.My dogs don't need to be muzzled in the house, but if I leave, I don't want to take a chance that my dd might have to break up a pack fight, so, better safe than sorry. As long as I'm home, there's never a problem.

Edited by darlene

We had our first dogfight the second night our second foster was here- woke up to bloody murder at 6 AM, accompanied by a quarter-sized chunk out of the foster's throat that eventually became infected. (Memo to the newbies- don't make my mistake. Don't just bandage- clean with Betadine, and use the best non-stick you can find for on top of the wound. Clean every 8 hours at a minimum.) She's fine now- you can't even see the scar, but there's tail-flagging all the time, and intermittent squabbles between the two. (Second memo: It's like roller derby with greyhounds. It's the females that start the fights, in my limited experience.)

So, now when we leave, everyone gets muzzled. Two of our pack can't slip the muzzles the way they are, but there are two others- the fosters- that I'm not convinced about, so the muzzles get tied into the martingale collars once I slide the collar up as high as it can go. Before that, we crated; we abandoned that once we figured out they were crate-chewers, even though we never saw it. One ended up chipping a lower canine- an expensive proposition that required extraction.

I still don't muzzle in the backyard; to date, there have been no squabbles there- it's always been over sleeping spaces, even though there are more than enough blankets, pillows, and floor space to go 'round. We may revisit muzzling in the yard, although it's a rather small yard and normally they just stand on our porch to get let back in when they're done.

When we go to the vet, every grey is muzzled. Three of the four have very high prey drives, and when weiner dogs and cats look like snacks, we position the greys as best we can in the waiting room. For our annual checkup, I got them the first possible time in the morning to prevent any run-ins.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

We just have one greyhound, so we generally don't muzzle him because he's usually the only dog around. Also, he doesn't really have a prey drive, so we don't muzzle him on leash walks either. I should also mention that our adoption group didn't give us a muzzle when we adopted him... perhaps they should have!

HOWEVER, when we still had a play group to attend (when we lived in RI), we muzzled him, AFTER he too was injured by another greyhound. He was badly bit on the neck and the side of his face at the play group. Luckily he didn't need too many stitches, but I think the bite was dangerously close to his jugular. The poor boy had to have a drain in his neck. The other grey's teeth had met beneath the skin. I would post my pictures of these injuries again, but they are on my other computer at home... and I think you all get the idea!

This is where we got our inexpensive but invaluable kennel muzzles: Halemar Muzzles

Edited by Spiff

Guest KennelMom
Second memo: It's like roller derby with greyhounds. It's the females that start the fights, in my limited experience.

:lol Funny way to put it...I would definitely say that's the case in our house too. If someone is going to step over the line or start getting nippy, it will be one of our females...guess that's why they call 'em bitches! :P

If you've already had a fight that required stitches and there's a lot of dominance play going on between the foster and your dogs I would definitely consider muzzling in the yard. With fosters, my rule is muzzle, muzzle, muzzle everyone since the foster isn't "my dog" I don't want to have to call the group and tell them that one of their dogs just got ripped to shreds ;) Heck, it was hard enough calling them to tell them about Erin when that happened adn we'd already adopted her :(

My 2 greys got into a tussle a couple weeks ago. NOT running. In the house.

:nod Yep...Hanna had to have stitches when we lived in Raleigh because she backed up over a sleeping Harmony. Harmony didn't mean to hurt Hanna, it was just one of those things where a tooth or a nail caught the skin in the "right" place and ripped it. Sometimes accidents happen, so it's important to know if you've actually had a fight or if someone accidentally tagged someone else. Two different situations that I would handle differently.

Edited by KennelMom

I voted 'Other', so I'll explain!

At the moment I only have two dogs, who have been together a few years in my home, and I feel no need to muzzle them when they are together. They don't play much anymore due to old age, but when they did used to play it could sound quite hairy with snarling, bared teeth (this was mostly from my male Oscar, when running together madly) but never did any injury occur...I guess mine have very good bite inhibition, they both know that it is play with each other, neither overstepped the mark with the other, they both have control over their movements.

However I do in certain circumstances muzzle one or the other in public for the safety of others - I muzzle Petra round the streets to protect cats; my Oscar is fearfully aggressive of other dogs if they approach him (even if they are friendly) so I sometimes muzzle him if in a busier dog walking area - although as I say he has good bite inhibition, it helps me relax and serves to warn others that he is not dog friendly.

With new dogs, I would muzzle for introductions and I would muzzle in public and I would muzzle when the 3 dogs are playing together, at least at first.

I think the bigger your pack, the more likely these incidents are, if they all play together in a big group.

On a walk I go on with other greyhound owners, we go to an enclosed area and let the dogs off lead, but they are never muzzled. In the past, this has resulted in at least one dog getting bitten. The dogs we have now in the group tend not to run together, but just mill around and there is no problem without muzzles on.

Oh forgot to add: with my first ever foster, it happened to be a bitch that could not live peacably with other bitches and she ended up biting my Petra on the side in a fight over a chew (totally my fault - should have seen it coming!). But she was a bully to other bitches and TBH I would not want a dog in my household permanently that was aggressive on a long-term basis toward one of the other dogs and attacked it. I would rather rehome that dog, than have to muzzle it all the time. If two dogs just don't get on, the stress for everyone (dogs and people) is high and I just think the aggressor is better off in another home with either no dogs or one of the opposite gender that it can get along with.

Edited by Amber

Guest goofydog

Only one at the house - so no muzzles there. I don't muzzle him at the off-leash park either since I want him to be able to defend himself. When the local has gatherings where we have quite a few off leash then EVERYONE gets a muzzle.

I do muzzle in the car when I am transporting new hounds from onrushpam.

Edited by goofydog

I muzzle when I don't feel comfortable.

For the first few months of having a new dog in the house (after the initial period of crating the new dog), everyone is muzzled when I can't watch them.

Outside running, I run two at a time, and they are muzzled. Icarus and Atlas are nippers when they get playing. Nips can result in tears. I will not allow all four to go out together until they are good and tired. The boys are very intense and competitive. Echo is super fast, but doesn't like to be chased.

In the van, I don't muzzle. Mostly because when we go out, there is DH driving and me watching them. My guys have no space issues. Even when someone gets stepped on, there is usually a yelp and the "injured" party comes to me for lovins. I have never experienced a problem with them riding in the van... and we do so quite a bit. I have a very snuggly bunch.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest jeannejj

I voted "other". I muzzle the boys when they are home alone, playing in the back yard, and when riding in the van. I don't muzzle Mandy, the "princess", as there is never an issue with her. She is 10 1/2, and the boys leave her alone.

Not only does the muzzle protect them from playing too hard, but it keeps them from getting into anything harmful in the house. Having a muzzle on does not guarantee no problems, the last encounter in a vehicle left my poor Charlie with a notch in his ear. :(

I will say in Konas last night with us, I saw serious use for a muzzle. As I went to put my two little ones to bed she apparently tried to move (and couldn't) and turned vicious. Now mind you, she already connected with me when I tried to help her, all the way thru my thumb! As Kona started her vicious mode both Shanti and Nala ran over to help her. Nala has enough hair for 20 dogs, she would survive it. I was so afraid she would connect with Shanti and tear her to shreds! Sadly, Kona spent her last night with us gated in. Now my husband did stay on the floor with her all night...broke my heart! And as we tried to get her up and to the car for her final vet trip, she tore at us! This is when I learned nylons make a decent muzzle in an emergency. It would have been nice to have a real one. I do believe I need to have one on hand.

The Girls

I think Kennelmom's Erin has become the poster dog for what can happen. I hope others will at least learn from your experience Heather. I've been fostering for about 4 years (50 dogs plus others that I've dogsat) so I think I know a good bit about these guys, but then someone surprises me. Like when Neyla, in a split second, picked up a feral cat from the bushes and started to try to kill it (thankfully it scratched her well enough that she let it go). I honestly was shocked at how fast she moved, from totally still to cat in mouth. Point being, until you see each individual behavior you probably don't realize the potential for what can happen, even if you know greyhounds.

Also, someone mentioend that these guys aren't more viscious than other breeds, which I agree with. But they do get competitive when they run around (or in their minds, race). And a nip at higher speeds can easily turn into something much worse. It does tend to be worse when the weather is cooler and as it gets darker. I never really thought about why (anyone know?), but I've definitely observed it to be true.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I voted other.

When it is just my two greys, going into the backyard for a bathroom break, I don't muzzle. However, the minute there are any other greys around, or when they are in a large enclosed space where they could start some serious running/playing, I muzzle. I also muzzle Choo Choo when she is meeting new cats or small dogs. She isn't high prey, but she does get very excited meeting other animals, and in her excitement could injure a small animal.

Guest LindsaySF
It does tend to be worse when the weather is cooler and as it gets darker. I never really thought about why (anyone know?), but I've definitely observed it to be true.

Weird. I await responses to this as well.

It does tend to be worse when the weather is cooler and as it gets darker. I never really thought about why (anyone know?), but I've definitely observed it to be true.

Weird. I await responses to this as well.

My guess is that it has to do with the fact that greyhounds don't have a lot of body fat and are sensitive to temperatures. Most of 'em drag along in the heat. On a hot day, I can barely drag Turbo around the block. Let the temp dip into the 50s and he acts like a young colt. I think the darker thing is more coincidental - with fall comes cooler temps and shorter days - and I don't think it affects behavior as much as the temperatures do. It's just easier to run around in cooler weather than the heat, so I think they're just friskier and as such, can get into trouble. Of course, Turbo's kind of a jerk year round (think drill sargeant attitude), but he's a much more *active* jerk in the cooler temps :P

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest RoxieMomx2

Hello Everyone

I am not new to the board, altho it has been over a year or more since I posted...I just wanted to thank all of you for this topic! I came back to the board this morning, because we just adopted a puppy last nite, and have an 8 year old ex-racer that we have had for just over 2 1/2 years (Roxie). The new puppy is female, and only seven weeks old. I came to the board to ask about crate training, and whining etc. but have been browsing thru and am glad that I found this topic.

Roxie is not exactly thrilled about the new puppy, but she did try to play in the yard this morning.

(Two Hours Later) However, I have an additional question. Roxie is acting stressed. She is on enapril and lasix for enlarged heart. We are concerned that the stress from the new puppy and the activity of the puppy could be harmful to Roxie. Roxie has to medicated with Benedryl when we have thunderstorms...25-50 mg. Well, that is how she is acting right now...bulging eyes, rapid breathing.

Any imput is greatly appreciated. If you would like to call let me know and I will send you my phone number.

Thanks in advance.

Kixie is also on Enalapril & Lasix. Is it warm and more importantly, humid where you are right now? Humidity = more Lasix needed to keep water retention down. I'll bet that if you call your vet they will tell you to give an extra pill. (Kixie is up to 2 Enalapril and 3 Lasix a day now.)

Bookie went to the Doc today. All of her staples were removed and she has been released from their care. She ran free in the back yard (with a muzzle on) for the first time tonight. Pere is adjusting to mean old Mommy taking away his stuffies before he goes outside to put the muzzle on. Devon is more playful than ever - I think he was always a bit intimidated by non-muzzled Pere in the old days. Kixie, the 11 y.o. with congestive heart failure and arthritus, is still unmuzzled. I still figure if she can catch them and if they annoy her badly enough to get bit - they deserve what they get. Kixie - BTW, has never bitten anyone.

Omg, I'm sorry to hear that happened. Looks like you learned from it at least. The same thing recently happened to me with my two. They were out running in the yard as they always do, and Dazzle nipped at Echo, and the skin just ripped back. There was no aggression, but she had a nice gash in her side and now has a scar from it. So it's muzzles at turnout for us from now on!

gash03.jpg

Even with muzzles on while they are running, damage can be done. I have seen where a group of greys with muzzles on have decided to pick on an older dog( two things to be thankful for, actually three, 1st they all had muzzles on, second the the 12yr old grey came out of it a little shaken and some minor cuts, 3rdly that most of the owners were responsible enough to get to the pack before anything to serious happened) NO MUZZLES= DISASTER!!!!!!!!

Guest Che_mar_Cody
To answer the poll question.....

I would muzzle if there were more than one dog in the car (although my car only fits one at the time)

I would muzzle all dogs when introducing a new dog.

I would muzzle all dogs for the first few times they all go out in group play, with a new dog, until I see how they behave.

I always muzzle Denny whenever he leaves the house. He isn't safe around any other dog (working with a behaviorist on that issue)

I might also muzzle if there were a small child coming to my house.

I muzzle when clipping nails.

This is awesome advice and working with GHG we do the same thing. Always when introducing a new dog, and group play.

I was fur-kid sitting my friends grey's. All were fine, so loving in the house. Outside in my fenced in yard was a whole new story. Tina, a young spitfire who loves to play, and her older sister didn't. She snipped at Chloe and cut her right above the ear. Cody wanted to get in on the action until a FIRM NO and I jumped between the two girls. - thank GOD I was out with them.

I sooned learned muzzels when they play. It's all fun for them, but they get hurt so easily.

My grey alone will nip at my butt if were playing in the yard - I call him my "grey pincher" I know he means no harm and is just playing, but it hurts!

I can just imagine without clothes and thin skin...

I've learned to play it save, although I don't muzzle mine when clipping nail.

Save some heartache and lot of money from those vet bills and muzzle you hounds on certain circmstances : )

Edited by Che_mar_Cody

Guest DogDayzGreyz

I had just joined GT when Erin was attacked. I read Kennelmom's post and paniked that I had two unmuzzled boys loose together at home (I was in an office). I got home- all was well but that was the last time I ever left any of my dogs alone unmuzzled. I muzzle when we leave and when they go for zoomies in the backyard. I have seen how fast things can turn in what seems to be a stable pack and I won't risk it! Even my whippet wears her teeny muzzle! :lol

In my opinion, the more people will post things like this, the better. Even if I was the only person who changed my habits after Heather's post, it was worth it for her to post it! :)

Guest greyhound_bug

I voted other.

When we just had Joe and Simon, they were never muzzled unless they were playing with other greys. But when we added Sullivan and Eli, we knew that we had a pack and had to be much more cautious.

We always muzzle when introducing a new hound to our home (whether its one joining our pack or just visiting) until we feel comfortable.

When we added Sullivan and then Eli to our pack, we muzzled the first few van trips and I sat in the back with them and supervised.

For the first few weeks everyone was muzzled in the yard until we knew how everyone played together.

We always have the boys muzzles in the van "just in case" as well as a couple in the house.