Rocky The Ferret

Guest Zoomom

Guest Zoomom

Rocky was my one year anniversary present from Walter, he was a little bit of an impulse buy, I had been wanting to get another ferret as a friend for my first ferret Jonny, but I hadn't been planning to just yet, but Walter really wanted to get me something I'd love for our anniversary, and I sure couldn't pass up that cute little baby ferret at the pet store. When has was eight weeks old he was a dark silvery color with a distinct blaze going up his forehead, which faded as he grew older to almost all white with only a few silvery hairs. He had a crook in the end of the tail, and he immediately started jumping around and attacking Walter's sweater. I should have been warned then. Where Jonny was at one end of the spectrum, being extremely laid back, friendly and cuddly, Rocky was at the other extreme- being energetic, curious, and as intelligent as any animal you'd ever meet. He got into everything and you could see him looking at things, figuring out how he was going to use it to get into trouble. Since he wasn't caged for most of his life, he would throw a temper tantrum if I tried to put him in a time out, he would scratch at the door and bite the bars and shake his head, making a huge racket. When he was lived in my bedroom with me he would wake me up several times a night by playing in my bed, going under the covers and scratching at my legs. I didn't know if I would survive his baby energy, and prayed for when he would reach a year old and start calming down. One year came and went, then two years, and three, he had more energy then any other ferret I'd met, and it lasted his whole life. Eventually I came to appreciate his zest for life and brought him everywhere with me and tried to give him lots of new experiences. Last Christmas, just after his fourth birthday, we were having an all out play fest when he suddenly stopped, and stood in the middle of the floor with his head hanging down with that zoned out low blood sugar look that I recognized all too well from Jonny. Sure enough, when we went off to the vets, he had the extremely low blood sugar indicating insulanoma, cancer of the pancreas, the same thing my other ferret, Jonny, died from. For the past eight months we have been postponing the inevitable with twice daily meds and TLC, but last night he let me know that the pain was too much, and I brought him to the vets for the last time. He only lived for less than five years, but in that five years he lived his life to the fullest and brought much joy and laughter to those he was around. Rocky, you will be missed.

One of my favorite pics of all time, Rocky with two former fosters.

pile3a.jpg

A recent pic.

rockbed3.jpg

I'm so sorry for your loss. I've enjoyed the pictures of Rocky and the stories about him you have shared on GT. He sounds like a very special spirit.

:f_red

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest Tenderhearts

Rebecca, I am so sorry for your loss of Rocky :cry1 I just can't bear getting any more ferrets as I lost my Boo to insulinoma too. They seem so prone to it. May God hold your aching heart in his hands :grouphug :grouphug

Guest ProudGreyMom

Oh no Rebecca - I am sooooo sorry. My precious ferret Gumbi was with me for 9 years and he always has a special place in my heart.

:(

:( I am so sorry. :( Godspeed precious tiny Angel. :f_white

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I'm sorry. He sounds like a special fellow who will be sorely missed.

Godspeed, Rocky.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.