The World's Most Extraordinary Cat

GreytNut

A year ago I lost my heart kitty. Sapphire was born under a trailer and my grandma saved the litter from being drowned by the mama cat’s owner, who didn’t want kittens but couldn’t be bothered to spay her. All the kittens were running around playing except for one tiny female, who cowered in the basket and was afraid to come out. I said, “I want that one!” That was when I was seven years old.

I called her Sapphire because she was born with amazingly blue eyes. Of course, the minute she started answering to it her eyes began to turn yellow, so she was just “Sapphy.” We grew up together. She followed me everywhere and yowled when she was locked out of my bedroom (my parents wouldn’t let her sleep with me because of the fleas). When I turned 18 and moved out on my own, she came with me. My roomie said she had never seen a cat and a human so attached to each other. She thought it was pretty weird. Advantage came out, fleas were banished, and for the first time Sapphy finally got to sleep in the bed. She purred nonstop, even in her sleep. When DH moved in, she peed on his pillow just to let him know who really “owned” me. Eventually, once she realized she wasn’t being replaced, she relented and decided she liked him after all.

We shared a symbiotic brain. I always understood what she was saying. She was part-Siamese and very vocal, and she had a vast repertoire of meows, chirps, squeaks, murps, purrs, howls and yowls. She might as well have been speaking English to me. I know she understood what I said to her. She would pat my arm when she wanted attention. She insisted on grooming my eyebrows. She would capture bugs, then hold them with her paw and cry for me to dispatch them for her because she never quite got the knack of hunting. She liked to share popcorn. Whenever I popped a bag, she sat patiently at my feet, waiting for her share. I called it Sapphy’s Popcorn Tax.

She was always vibrantly healthy and never got sick. At 19 years old, her fur was still sleek and glossy and she showed no signs of slowing down. When she was almost 21, she suddenly started having accidents everywhere and losing weight. She drank mass quantities of water. The vet diagnosed her with kidney failure. I went deeply into debt trying to make her better. Every week she went back to the vet for more tests to monitor her progress, and I learned how to give her subcutaneous fluids twice a day. She seemed to understand that I was doing it for her own good, and she never fought. She would stand still and let me put this huge 18-gauge needle into her without so much as a peep, if only I would pet her while the fluids went in.

Then one day I came home and there was vomit everywhere. I found Sapphy lying in a puddle of her own urine. She woke up and realized that she was covered in pee. She was mortified and made the most pitiful howl I ever heard. I bathed her, and she was skin and bones. There was nothing left of her. The next day I took her to the vet. It was the hardest thing in the world. I wasn’t sure I was making the right decision until all of a sudden I realized that she was purring and kneading my shoulder. She never, ever purred at the vet’s office. She knew what was going on, and was cool with it. Usually I had to pry her off me to get her on the exam table. Not this time. She jumped onto the table and sat down. She looked the vet right in the eye and waited, and he didn’t even have to restrain her to administer the shot. She purred right to the end.

I still feel like I’m missing part of myself. Still can’t make a bag of popcorn without instinctively dropping a few pieces, even though she’s not there to eat them up. Still feel her tucked under my chin at night. I love my greys and my Oriental kitties, but it’s not the same. We can’t read each other’s minds. My heart is still broken.

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to do her justice.

Sapphy.jpg

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest argolola

What a beautiful tribute. God bless you as you remember your sweet angel. What a personality!

Edited by argolola

:cry1 :cry1

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

what a beautiful bond you two shared. How lucky you both were. She is always with you in memories.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest how888

What a beautiful tribute. An angel that once graced the earth now graces our Heavens. Just know she is only a rainbow away and watch for those signs because they do come until we all meet again one day.. :f_pink

Guest FullMetalFrank

Your kitty must have been wonderful to inspire such a lovely tribute. I lost my dear kitty who had been with me for 17 and a half years earlier this year; he was also very vocal and affectionate; our house isn't the same without him here.

Kristen,

What an extraordinary relationship you two shared. Thank you for sharing a glimpse of it with us. How could you possibly not miss her forever? I'm glad you still feel her spirit and loving presence in your life. Sending warm thoughts your way for comfort and peace.

Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

The was a GREAT post. I loved that as I read it I giggled :blush What a personality! You were so lucky. NEVER stop dropping popcorn for her :)

Missing my bridge greys Opal and Eden and cat Bailey. Mom to Missy the Super Mutt and recent foster failure of Miley to mini-mutt.

I'm so sorry! :cry1

what a beautiful tribute for a beautiful kitty! :f_pink

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Such a beautiful Angel. I know that your sweet baby girl is hanging out with my Fluffers and Sammy Jo. I am so sorry for your loss...Godspeed... :grouphug:f_pink:f_white

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest BradyzMommy

What a beautiful tribute! I am crying tears of sadness for your loss and also tears of joy that you were able to share your life with such a wonderful, perfect companion. :grouphug