Nick (jnb Kicker Power) 12-9-96---7-31-06

queenwinniesmom

I know I'm fairly new here, just having started to lurk and then to post in the last several months. But I want to pay tribute to an exceptional Greyhound. A few of you may know him (and me) from the Greyhounds Reach The Beach message board. For those of you who don't, I'm so sorry the introduction has to be in this way. If only you could have known him. For those of us who did, like Doug and I, who shared his life for 7 years, how lucky we were!

When I first saw him it was back in 1999. He was waiting in a cage after his neuter for me to pick him up. He was to be our foster dog. He was the only one there when I walked in, but I thought, surely that isn't my new foster---a huge, skinny fawn with a big bandage on his right hind leg. But yes, he was going home with me. Nick had injured his foot racing at Plainfield, and it was so crippled that the vet amputated his two middle toes. This was to become an integral part of his personality. He was only in our house for a few days when it became very clear that we wouldn't be able to let him go. So he joined Lacey, as our second Greyhound. Do you know when something is meant to be? This dog was so totally ours from the very start, and it's a good thing he felt that way too, because we were smitten, just some of the first to be completely under the spell of those liquid, dark-rimmed eyes, eyes that could melt your heart and told you of his kind and gentle and patient soul. Nick was one of the world's true innocents. He was my rock, and I was his. Through 44 foster dogs, 5 more foster failures. Our saying good-bye to Lacey, to Patsy, and to Buster. He knew without my saying anything just when I needed him most, and he never let me down. He was a big, quirky guy, and 85 pound lap dog who was highly insulted if every man, woman and child (especially the children!) didn't come over to pet him at a Meet and Greet. He loved to schmooze---he was a schmoozer, not a runner, having retired at only 2 1/2. His new career was being the best Greyhound ambassador ever, those eyes convincing so many people that they had to adopt a Greyhound. He was our star paw painter, patiently creating many eclectic masterpieces. He had a bit of the OCD thing going (just like his Mom). He preferred that everything remain exactly the same. He remembered every cat on every back porch that he'd seen on every walk for years, and he looked for those cats every time. His obsession was Kleenex, and paper towels, and anything he could quickly shred on the sly, and then return to us with a quilty look on his face, and a piece of paper hanging from his lips. He loved walking the beach at Dewey, one place that we could be sure he wouldn't limp. He'd always held that injured paw up when needed, especially if it could inspire kisses from the ladies. I'd worried that he might have trouble with that leg, the dreaded osteo possibly appearing like it had with Winnie in the same leg. But what took him from us wasn't that monster. It started inocuously, with some vomiting and diarrhea 5 days after we'd come home from Grapehounds, where we'd had one of our best times ever. One trip to our vet on Friday, brought no change, and neither did a return trip on Saturday. The fluids, antibiotics, pain meds didn't lessen the increasing lethargy, the panting, that turning inward of the eyes, away from us. The bloodwork made our vet bring up the possibility of Addison's. The X-rays showed no masses or blockages, only that his heart was moderately larger. He was worse on Sat. night, and we took him to the emergency vet early Sunday morning. It was grave, the vet said. His white count was sky high (possibly a severe infection, or even lymphoma), his potassium and sodium levels way off, indicating Addison's disease. They started more fluids, and prednisone, the recommended treatment. But by last night, the vet thought he hadn't improved like he should have. I'd been to see him about 4:00, and he raised his head and looked into my eyes, and I allowed myself to hope that my Nick was coming back to me. At 11:30 the vet did another chest X-ray. It showed that his heart was twice the normal size. We were dealing with 2, maybe 3, critical things, the treatments at odds with each other. The vet suggested it may be time to let him go. They would try to get him through the night so we could take him to our own vet today. But at 2:15, the call we'd dreaded came. Nick's heart had stopped, and they were breathing for him. Keeping him barely alive till we could get there was not something we could do to him. And so we said to let him go. I wanted so badly to be with him, telling him I loved him and not to be afraid, like I'd done earlier, but it wasn't to be. We could only be with him in our hearts,and hope that he was guided gently to the Bridge. Though my heart and my home are awesomely, achingly empty, I think he's sent me some signs that this was so. I know he would if he could. Though I'm stumbling through the day, trying to absorb his absence, I know it's got to get better. I just know that it's going to take a very long time. Run free, Nicky my love, my beautiful love. I'll love you and miss you forever.

Thank-you for letting me talk about my special boy,

Nancy

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest argolola

I am sobbing and trying to type through the tears. What a special, loving boy. God bless you for giving him the most wonderful life.

Love never dies.

(would you post a pic of him when you feel up to it?) God bless.

I am so sorry for your loss. Sweet Nick is an angel now. He is gone from this earth, but not from your heart.

Make yourself familiar with the angels, and behold them frequently in spirit; for without being seen, they are present with you.

St. Francis de Salles

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest MomoftheFuzzy

I'm so sorry for your loss, Nancy. Please pass on my prayers and condolences to Doug too. :heart I wrote you back but I will try and call too. Gino is taking care of Nick. :heart But that doesn't stop the tears, I know. I'm shedding some for Nick now myself -- but he's with his brother and sister now too. Please let Speck and I know if you need anything at all.

Miss you guys.

:grouphug

Guest Carla

Dear Nancy,

Such heartbreaking news. I am so very sorry for your loss. Nick is running with the angels and smiling down upon you thanking you for the time you had together. Soon your tears will be replaced with smiles when you think of your precious Nick.

Please accept my heartfelt condolences.

Godspeed Nick.

:f_red:f_red:gh_runner:f_red:f_red

Hugs,

Carla

Edited by Carla

I'm so sorry that you lost your special boy. :cry1:grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest jeannejj

I am so sorry for your loss. It's always hard to say goodbye to a beloved friend. May your memories bring peace to your heart and ease the pain. Be kind to yourself.

Run free, sweet Nick.

f_yellowf_yellowf_yellowf_yellowf_yellow

Make yourself familiar with the angels, and behold them frequently in spirit; for without being seen, they are present with you.

St. Francis de Salles

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words. It does help to know that others understand. Irene, that is a beautiful quote. It is something I want to remember. I think Doug and I vended beside you and your husband one Dewey---that horrible weather Dewey when we stood in line for hours to get a space in the tent that wasn't sitting in a foot of mud. You took the table the organizers were at, we took the one next to it!

I would love for you to see how handsome he was. I've tried to post pictures here, but I can't seem to do it yet. I'm not computer savvy. But if anyone would like to see a picture of Nick, you can go to his Dogster link:

http://www.dogster.com/?87982

Nick didn't know how graceful, and elegant and beautiful he was. Just watching him walk toward me could take my breath away. And those eyes....

Thank-you all,

Nancy

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I am so sorry. :( Godspeed sweet Nick. Run and play with our Angels sweetheart. :grouphug:f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.