Vale Aussie

Guest lillysmum

Guest lillysmum

I remember walking through the beach markets that evening; the sun was slowly setting, the crowd was building, a thousand different scents wafted through the market - satay sauce mixed with tropical flowers and salt air.

You were nine weeks old, all ears and feet, and cheeky puppy grin. You and your littermates, huddled in the back of a ute, were looking for new homes.

I leant down, just to say "hello", when you came straight over for a pat. That was it! I decided to take you home, even though I was not allowed to have a dog in the place I was living.

The next day saw us both at the pet store - a collar, lead, bowl, etc, etc, etc. It all added up, but you looked gorgeous by the time our shopping was done.

I called you Aussie; I didn't have much imagination at the time, but you didn't seem to mind. We spent our late afternoons at the beach, you were terrified of the water at first, but soon learnt to swim (OK, with a little encouragement from me!).

We later moved back to Sydney, where you settled in and quickly took over the yard. My Dad built you a greyt kennel (we still have it, mate) and you loved playing chase and fetch.

No matter where I went, if I could take you, I did. There were some places where dogs weren't allowed, and when this happened, my parents happily took you in. I was always sad when you had to stay with them.

Then I met DH, and you didn't trust him at all. Not at first, anyway. I remember you growled at him the first time he gave me a hug in front of you.

I suggested he feed you, to win you over. That worked, and before long, the pair of you were inseparable.

By this time, you were going grey around the muzzle, and soon, your eyes clouded over, and your movements slowed. You got some pains in your spine that the vet said could be managed. We bought you a jacket, to help ward off the cold air.

Then, we moved back north to Darwin, and we even took you to your favourite beach a few times. It was like your puppyhood all over again!

I laughed seeing you so happy, oblivious to the passing years, if only for a few minutes. All too soon, it was time to go home for the day, and you bravely tackled the stairs to go inside.

But the stairs were not kind to you - it became obvious that your legs and back were painful once more.

You stuck it out and we moved south again. One more visit to "Grandma and Grandad", then into yet another new house.

Christmas was quiet. You were very tired, and slept a lot more.

Just two days later, you were very sick. In fact, I knew we were at the end of the road on this journey, but your Dad didn't know how bad it was, he thought you would get better. I couldn't tell him that I knew it was your time. The kind vet had to do that.

I stayed with you right until the very end, stroking and patting your face, tears rolling down my own face, helping to end your last bit of pain.

Aussie, you were a faithful and loving friend. I miss you every day, and know you're at the Bridge, waiting for us to come join you.

Rest and play, and know you're always with us where it matters most. We love you, boy. :heart

Jenny, what a touching tribute to your brave little Aussie. May he rest in peace, knowing your love forever. :heart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

:grouphug Thank you for sharing your story :) I'm sorry for your loss :sad1

Major & Black Jack are the BEST Doggies in the WORLD

A Major Presence - MAJOR - March 10, 1999 - January 13, 2011

Little Joe - BLACK JACK - July 31, 1998 - February 8, 2011

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch