Girliekins Is At The Bridge

Guest greyhoundobsession

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greymomx2

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your girl. Please don't feel bad that you can't write about it here yet; it hurts so much. :grouphug Run free, sweet little one.

Edited by greymomx2

Guest greyhoundobsession

Thank you so much to everybody who has sent their thoughts and condolences. I don't know why I apologized before...I actually think I was apologizing to her. I don't know. I'm working on a little movie of my Girliekins that I'll put up as soon as I can get it finished. It's pretty hard to watch the little video snippets we have of her but I'm so glad that we have them!! I wish to god that we had taken more.

Girliekins started limping around the end of February. After a few weeks of Prednisone treatment thinking she might have some other problem, we found out it was Osteo on March 22nd, my husband's birthday. She was doing great on 100mg of Rimadyl per day for quite a while, and then she started having some pain and we had to start Tremadol as well. It seems like that helped for a couple of months I think? We slowly increased the amount of pain meds she was getting and most of the time she seemed to be pain-free and happy. For the last month or so we have been really anxious, thinking that the decision to help her to the bridge was looming closer with every passing week. But then we'd look at her and she'd seem ok and we'd hope that it would be a couple of months more. It's sort of like a roller coaster...you just know it's right around the corner and then it seems ok and then it doesn't and then it does...I'm sure that too many of you know just what I mean.

We planned a trip for her, we wanted to take her to our favorite camping spot in the mountains. It's something we've been wanting to do with her and Dweebis and Candy for a long time but we never did. So we planned it and thought we'd take her up there, relax in the shade all day and just have a peaceful time and a great memory with her and the other dogs before she had to leave us. But it was like fate or something because suddenly the day before we were leaving she was limping bad and we knew we couldn't take her. The pain meds didn't seem to be helping at all, for the first time. So I made the appointment on Wednesday to take her in the next morning. That night we were hanging out in the yard with the dogs, and Girliekins was lying in the grass all sprawled out. She is such a Daddy's girl...Steve was petting her and she was doing this thing she does when she's SO HAPPY...where she rubs her paws all over her face and her mouth is all open in this big Girliekins smile, and she sort of squirms on her back and flips back and forth in the grass wanting Daddy to pet her more. It was so wonderful to see her do that again. She hasn't been doing things like that for so long it seems. I just loved watching it.

When I woke up Thursday morning, before getting out of bed we just hoped we would get up and see her feeling better and that we wouldn't have to take her yet. We wanted so badly to just hang out at home with her for a couple of more days, and keep her happy and comfy and love on her some more. I felt sure that she would be better than she'd been the day before for some reason and I almost called to cancel her appointment before I even got up.

But then I got up and my little girl was following me around the house hopping on her 3 good legs, not using the other one at all. She couldn't go up the stairs. She was wagging her tail and she was happy to be with us and happy for her treats and everything like always. Her eyes were bright and she was ok, except for the leg. I know that she was in horrible pain if she tried to lay down or use it at all, and probably even just standing still the pain was there. I think maybe they just get so used to it sometimes that it's hard for us to tell how much it really hurts them. I just couldn't see her like that and I couldn't imagine allowing her pain to get worse, and I knew it was time.

We cooked her a glorious breakfast of pork chops and string cheese and Steve sat on the floor and fed it to her. She was ecstatic. He couldn't bear to go with me to the vet. So I took her. She's not scared of the vet at all, in fact I think she loves going there because of all the extra attention she gets...so I felt ok about taking her instead of having them come to our house. So we went and of course Girliekins wanted to go after the resident kitty that she knows lives there. My girl. :rolleyes: We gave her some more treats and Girliekins rested her head in my lap and then I said goodbye to her and told her I love her about 1,000 times before she drifted away.

It was hard to go home. So we decided to take the dogs camping after all. We packed up and left, and we went to the spot in the mountains and we talked about our Girl and it was good. We are so happy that she was in our lives, it was worth every second. She taught us so much and gave us so much, I can't put it in words. We had her for two years and 16 days. A tree was planted in our back yard the day that she died, it will be her tree.

Anyway I doubt many will read all this but it really helped to write a little bit about her. I know that Girliekins is somewhere right now without pain. I hope that wherever she is, she is happy and feeling my heart's embrace and that she is running and rolling in the grass and knowing all of the joy that she ever knew when she was here with us. :heart:heart:heart

Edited by greyhoundobsession

A beautiful tribute to your beautiful girl. I know your pain and I'm here if you need or want to talk.

Take care, I'm thinking of all of you. :grouphug

Kelly and the boys

Andy (Full Details), Savage (SanTan SavageTry), Tag (C Ya Tag Heuer), Hamlet (Huntington's Monarch Hamlet),

and Cleopatra (Huntington's Cleopatra)

Never forgotten & Always in my heart, Shawn (Call Me Gone) 02/09/99 - 03/23/06

and Josh (Great Contender*) 01/11/98 - 11/29/07

6be773b747390028badb20f184e30be3.jpg

Guest greytloves

Perfectly put. we all understand the love you felt and are so very sorry. Reading of another bridge angel always brings tears to my eyes and wish to hug the family that is in pain. I am so sorry. :f_white

I am very, very sorry to hear about your loss.

Please remember she is no longer in any pain.

You are missed, precious Girliekins!!

Anyway I doubt many will read all this but it really helped to write a little bit about her. I know that Girliekins is somewhere right now without pain. I hope that wherever she is, she is happy and feeling my heart's embrace and that she is running and rolling in the grass and knowing all of the joy that she ever knew when she was here with us.

Thank you very much for adding the story on your own time.....even though it is so very sad :( for us left here on earth.

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Anyway I doubt many will read all this but it really helped to write a little bit about her. I know that Girliekins is somewhere right now without pain. I hope that wherever she is, she is happy and feeling my heart's embrace and that she is running and rolling in the grass and knowing all of the joy that she ever knew when she was here with us. :heart:heart:heart

I hope so too. She had really special people taking care of her, you know. :cry1

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.