Poppy

Guest TrePoppyJaipur

Guest TrePoppyJaipur

I'm sorry that my only posts here lately have been only bad news. We helped Poppy cross over Tueday. Rather than type it all over, I'll just copy/paste the email I just sent to Mid-South Greyhound Adoption Option:

----

Subject: Poppy - 8/20/94-7/18/06

...We adopted Poppy (Poppymallow) almost eight years ago, in August of 1998, just after his fourth birthday. When we came to the kennel to pick out our first grey, he ended up picking us. The first few that were let out of their crate came shooting out like they were in the starting gate of a race, with their tails slapping into everything in their path. We had never been around greyhounds before, and were a little intimidated by these huge dogs running towards us. Poppy was released from his crate, walked over to us and just stopped and waited for us to pet him. His attitude seemed like he was saying, “Lets go home!” So, that’s what we did.

We were so amazed that such a huge animal could take up such a small space. He was as cool as a dog could be. We were told that greys don’t like to “sit,” but Poppy learned to sit, speak, and lay down in that first week. He was the smartest dog ever! Poppy showed us what wonderful pets retired racers are and he was featured in story in our local newspaper titled, “Local Couple Adopted by Greyhound.” We adopted Jaipur (Jaipur Episode) the following year, in September of 1999. He is more like the greys we met before Poppy. Jaipur is still our goofy, handsome, always happy-tail boy.

After we started having children, the dogs were totally fine with them. The kids could play all around and over them and they never barked or growled. My son likes to give them hugs, and would reach up and wrap his arms around Poppys neck and lift his feet in the air and just hang from his neck. If they ever get tired of the kids messing with them, they quietly stand up and go to their crate and lay there with the door open. The kids know that is their safe place and they aren't allowed to mess with them while they are in there.

On New Years day, 2004, Poppy was attacked by our across-the-street neighbors dogs. He was in our (fenced) yard, but these dogs got through our gate and came in and nearly killed my Poppy. He was a bloody mess. The skin was pulled away from his chest and had pockets of air under there. His lung was punctured, he had to have hundreds of staples to close his wounds, and he had to receive a blood transfusion. He was not supposed to make it through the night. He got better and better, and after a couple of weeks (and a couple of thousand dollars), he came home. I had to flush his wounds twice a day. He had drains hanging from several parts of his body. I would squirt the flush solution in one wound, and it would pour out another. His skin cracked when you pet him because of the air pockets trapped under his skin (the vet called them emphysemas), but eventually was just absorbed by his body. After a few months of wonderful care by the best vets in the world, and myself, Poppy recovered. He never quite gained back all of the weight though. He lost a lot of weight and muscle tone from this, and I think he never really fully recovered from that.

Recently I have been noticing his hind legs didn't quite seem to be working with the rest of him. Sometimes when he stopped walking, his hind legs would keep going a couple of steps further. Or, his back half would seem drunk, and stagger back and forth. I also noticed trembling in his back legs, but just thought, "well, he's just getting old." My wife has been telling me that we should consider "putting Poppy to sleep." I probably should have listened to her weeks ago, but I was in denial and I guess I was hoping he would get better or nature would take its course.

Monday, he fell down while standing at his water bowl and I snapped out of my denial. He never really put the weight back on after he was attacked and he never runs or plays - of course, he has always taken his “retirement” pretty seriously. Recently, all he did was eat and sleep. The last time he fell, his hind legs dropped out from under him and he didn't even try to get up. He just looked up at me with that look, as if to say, "ok, I'm done. I'm ready."

The next day, he couldn't stand or walk on his own. I put him on a blanket and my wife and I had to grab each end of the blanket and carry him to the van to take him to the vet. He never made any fuss, and just before 2:00 pm Tuesday, July 18 (a few weeks from his 12th birthday), my Poppy peacefully went to sleep – forever.

He will be missed.

post-11854-1153407768.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many tears here...I remember when Poppy was attacked, and being so happy that he made it through that awful experience. I am so very sorry for the loss of your special Poppy :grouphug:f_white

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest argolola

I am crying with you as I read your post. I remember reading about Poppy's attack and praying so hard for him to recover.

Now we have another precious angel at the bridge.

Please take comfort in knowing that you gave Poppy lots of love and a wonderful life. May God bless you and heal your broken heart.

I am so very sorry. :( Run free and forever young sweet Poppy. You are so loved and missed... :grouphug:f_red:f_whitef_yellow

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

what a beautiful tribute to a beautiful grey named Poppy. You gave him so much love and you could tell from your post how much he loved you. I am so sorry for your loss. Please find comfort in knowing you gave him a beautiful gift, your home and a peaceful journey to the bridge. Poppy will live forever in your hearts. Run free and fast sweet Poppy.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest rsqdogsmom

Thank you for sharing your story about Poppy.

He lived a long life and was so loved.

I am so very sorry for the loss of your boy. :(:f_white

Guest GreyGirls

I remember your stories and pictures from the Pet Forum years ago. I'm so very sorry to read of your Poppy's passing. Thoughts are with you.

I'm so sorry for your loss...

Sympathy from Lynn, Howie, Raisin and Bull

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

I am so so so sorry. I think about Poppy often. His attack happened about the same time as Lucy's-and I hoped and prayed for your sweet boy. I think I even have the video clip that you posted of him saved on my old computer. Such a sweet sweet boy. Know that he touched many lives besides you and your family-and he is watching over and taking care of you and yours now.

:f_red:grouphug:gh_run