I Picked Up Little Bit's Ashes Today

Guest greytlady

Guest greytlady

Little Bit was not a greyhound. Her mother was a Scottish Border Collie and her father was a purebred Collie. Bitty looked like a Collie, only a little smaller. She had a beautiful white collar and blazed face. She was born in the animal hospital where I worked in the late winter of 1986. I found her later that summmer at the local flea market, suffering from heat exhaustion in the back of a car. I took her fuzzy little body to the vets and they kept her for a couple hours till she cooled off and I took her home. I thought I was going to be able to do this without crying, but the emptyness is still so great. Bitty was my companion for 20 years. We grew up together and shared everything. Bitty's job was to take care of every misfit I brought home. She mothered kittens, puppies, chicks, you name it she took them under her wing and took care of them. She made every move with me and all I had to do was explain where our yard was and that was that. She never wandered off and took it as an insult when I had to tie her at one home until a fence was put up. She never had any formal training, she didn't need it. She never had an accident in the house, ever. She knew how to sit and lay down and would shake hands and pick the right hand every time if you hid something in it. She loved walking with me in the woods and along creeks and could always be counted on to throw up in the car 5 minutes before we arrived anywhere, no matter if it took 10 minutes or 2 hours. If you asked her to talk to you she would warble and bark and make all kinds of noise. If you told her to "watch em Bitty" she was all tough and would bark like the baddest attack dog, even if there was nothing there. She had the gentleist soul and I never had a worry with her and my son, he was her job also. In the last few years she got a little confused, her hearing was pretty much gone and her eyes had dimmed, but her spirit remained the same. She pottered around the yard doing her own thing, and would only come inside for short periods. She would rather be on duty in the front yard in case anyone came by. She finally got to where the confusion was real bad and her body just couldn't keep up with her spirit. We sat together in the back of my truck until the vet came out and sent her on her final journey. Her greatest joy in the last few years was to roll in freshly mowed grass. She would follow me around the yard and pick the best spots and roll and squirm in the grass. That is where I am going to sprinkle her ashes. In the yard she loved in the freshly mowed grass. Goodbye Bitty.

Sorry this is so long, but there was 20 years of remembering going on.

What a lovely tribute to your precious Bitty. :cry1:bighug Please post a picture of your angel. :heart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest BleusysMom

Your Bitty now continue to do her 'job' by watching over Her Family....and being the Wonderful Guardian she Always has been.....PLUS....

She can FLY!!!!! Look up into the Night Sky...the twinkling stars are the Star Dust from her Flying Paws....running in shear JOY and spreading her ANGEL WINGS!!!!!!!

What a beautiful tribute to a very special little girl...She hasn't left...she's in your heart forever...until you meet again. I am so sorry for your loss...a lifetime is never long enough. :grouphug:f_pink:f_whitef_yellow

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful girl with us. Its very hard to adjust to the empty place they leave in our life. She is in your heart so she is never truly gone. :heart

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

I'm so very sorry for your loss. What a gentle soul your Bitty was. What a gift the two of you were to each other. She's still there, guarding your house as always. Look out your window and you'll see her there, forever. :f_red

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest ChrissyB

Your tribute to Bitty was fantastic.....I could feel the love you had for her in every word you typed.

In the very quiet moments, she is there..............

Guest Tenderhearts

What a special girl she was! :cry1 Sending the gentlest of hugs to you from Kansas. May God hold your aching heart in his hands :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Guest vahoundlover

Oh Sara :cry1 I know Bitty and you shared a bond that was very special. She was a good girl, you couldn't ask for a better companion. I'll never forget pulling up to the house and Bitty coming out to see *who was there*, always making sure that you were ok and the visitors weren't going to hurt you, she was never mean but you knew mom was A1. :grouphug My heart aches for you, please believe she is with Doll and Andy now and they are having a good time running and playing in the soft green grass with a light breeze in their hair. She'll always be with you in your heart and memories, let them comfort you as you grieve.

Godspeed Bitty :f_pink

Guest greytlady

Thanks to everyone for their kind words. Most people just shake their heads and can't believe that you can be so upset at losing a k-9 companion. My exhusband even called to say he was sorry, he is the one that named her. She did leave me a little reminder a few days after she left. She loved those little bags of dog food that looked like red worms. If I would get a box I would show it to her and tell her she could have one, and she would pull one bag from the box and happily totter away to enjoy it. It wasn't the same if you opened the bag for her and put it into a bowl. One the day of our flood I probably went out the front door dozens of times to check on the sump pump in the basement and the little pump in the well house. When I finally started feeding the hounds I needed one more can of food to finish up and went out the door to get it. Laying on the front porch in her spot by the door was a bag of that food with a couple "red worms" left in it. I know it wasn't there the whole day as I would have seen it. Maybe they have their favorite foods at the bridge and she just left me a little reminder.

your Bitty sounds like a wonderful pup!

I'm so sorry for your loss :cry1

:f_pink

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest DogGone

Thanks for sharing your memories - what a beautiful tribute to a very special girl. :grouphug She is watching over you at the Bridge.

Guest rsqdogsmom

What a great dog! :wub:

I can imagine how sad you must be to lose such a great friend. :(

My deepest sympathy on your loss; my prayers are with you.

God Speed, Bitty.