Wanda 12/14/94 - 06/09/06

AngelWhispers

th_b7c72901.jpg

My favorite picture of Miss Wanda

th_c4fc2d07.jpg

th_0c742acf.jpg

Miss Wanda and her daughter, Brooke.

Friday evening my heart dog, Miss Wanda went to join Zack at the bridge. I never imagined that I would lose both my seniors so close together. Zack left a big hole in my heart and now that hole is HUGE!

Miss Wanda went into liver failure in Nov while I was in TX helping my husband with funeral arrangements for his mother. I immediately came home after the funeral because the vets didn't think Wanda would last the week. We suspected cancer but couldn't find it and so I put her on a special homemade diet and supplements to support her liver. Days turned into weeks and then to months, and I prayed we weren't dealing with cancer. Last weekend she started having fluid build-up in her abdomen...not a problem...we had been thru this twice before so I made an appt. to have the fluids removed. It wasn't fluid this time, but blood. My girl was bleeding internally and after tests, x-rays and ultra-sound we found the cancer. The vets let me bring her home for 24 hours while they tried to figure out if her bleeding spleen could be removed, but her liver was also full of cancer and surgery wouldn't have given us any more time.

Wanda came into my life on Dec. 7th 2002. A volunteer with Team Greyhound of Ohio and GT member told me that they had Brooke's momma up for adoption and that she had been available for almost a year. I took one look at Wanda's picture on the website and it was love at first sight!! I knew at that moment that Wanda was meant to be with me and her daughter.

I filled out the application with and spoke with the group president via email and phone calls. She told me that Wanda had been up for adoption for 10 months, that she was a "grouchy old lady", she had been kicked out of the prison foster program because she bit her handler, she had been in about 7 foster homes because of snapping at people....did I still want her? Well, sure what's not to love!!! The owner of Rainier kennels was transporting some dogs to OH and brought Wanda back for me. The minute I saw Wanda I knew she was a special lady and my heart dog.

Wanda came into the family and acted like she had always been there and not once did she ever display that she was "a grouchy old lady". In fact for the first 2 years she had chronic happy tail...she broke her tail more times than I can count, and I've cleaned up lots and lots of blood. Her tail always healed and it had a cute little hook at the end of it. If forensics ever has to come in our house; I'm sure someone will be going to prison.

Wanda was a happy lady and loved to play, but her favorite thing was to spin circles....she looked like a helicopter when she started spinning and it made me dizzy just to watch her. Sometimes I had to move furniture so she wouldn't hit her head, and it seemed like the more I laughed at her the faster she would spin. She also taught Frank and Hatter how to spin, though they still can't do it like her. Miss Wanda also taught me how to spin like a helicopter and thank you, there are no videos of me spinning with my arms out next to Miss Wanda.

Wanda was wonderful with all the fosters that came thru our home, and treated each one like one of her pups. She cleaned their ears, let them cuddle with her and would give up her bed if they wanted it. I will always remember our foster Skip. I had the flu and Skip was young and rambunctious. I had let Skip out to potty and when he came in he started doing zoomies thru the house, and I couldn't catch him...I just wanted to put him in his crate and go back to bed. After about the 3rd or 4th time of him passing me and not being caught, Wanda jumped out of nowhere and grabbed Skip around his nose and planted her feet. Of course my heart skipped a beat, because this could be very ugly! Instead Skip stopped dead in his tracks, never made a sound and didn't move a muscle. Both dogs rolled their eyes at me...Wanda's eyes said "Ok, I got him, what do you want me to do with him" and Skips eyes said "Get her off me! I walked up to Skip and told Wanda to release him. He didn't have a mark on him, and off he went to his crate. Wanda gave a shake and calmly went back to her nap. I still to this day can't figure out where she came from and how she didn't tear his face up.

Wanda was permanently attached to my left hip and never let me out of her sight. I nick-named her "the supervisor", whatever I was doing Wanda was there to supervise. I don't know how I'm going to cook, clean and do my chores without "the supervisor".

Wanda and Zack taught me that seniors are the best, but there is something really special about a retired brood mom. If anyone has the opportunity to adopt a broodie, I highly recommend it. I can't put into words what it is about them, but most people will tell you that the brood moms are very special.

Miss Wanda sent me a sign this morning. When my MIL passed away she had a huge Christmas cactus that went into full bloom the day of her funeral. I had never seen one before, but it was beautiful! When I came home to be with Wanda my son had gotten me a small Christmas cactus that was blooming and I told him about grandma's.

As Miss Wanda was passing to the Rainbow Bridge, I told her to find Janis(my MIL) and Zack, and to send me a sign that they were OK. Janis loved Wanda, and Zack and Wanda were very close! This morning I opened the drapes and on my Christmas Cactus is one single white bloom. They don't bloom this time of year!

It's been hard losing 2 seniors so close together, but I wouldn't change a thing even though I feel like my heart will never stop hurting. I don't know if I'll ever find another heart dog, but I know Wanda will guide me to another brood mom that needs a home. I just can't imagine not having one run the house, and I definitely need a supervisor.

Run with the Wind dear girl, and I'll take good care of your daughter. Thank you for all the unconditional love you've given me over the past 3 1/2 years; you've changed my life forever.

Denise, Brooke, Hatter, Fields, Frank, Warlock and Strider missing Wanda and Zack.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jeannejj

I am so sorry for your loss of Wanda. It really sounds like you had a really special relationship and a really unique lady. It's always hard to say goodbye to a beloved friend. Wanda was lucky to have had your love, and you are lucky to have the memories. May they bring you peace and joy and replace the pain in your heart.

Run free, sweet Wanda.

f_yellowf_yellowf_yellowf_yellowf_yellow

:cry1 What a lovely tribute to your heart girlie. Made me laugh and cry... May your memories of Wanda's happiness in your home bring your aching heart much comfort. She thrived in your care, and can continue to guide you, in spirit, from the Bridge. :bighug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Wanda was a lovely lady, much loved by you, as we can clearly see from your wonderful tribute.

Hugs to you and your crew 'til the pain passes, and the memories comfort you.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest guinness_the_greyt

:grouphug I'm so sorry! What a wonderful tribute.... and you cactus flower has brought tears to my eyes!! :sad1

Godspeed Wanda!

What a beautiful tribute...and your sweet Wanda will make a beautiful angel :grouphug:f_white

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Carla

Oh Denise,

What a lovely tribute to your Wanda. She was a special dog.

Wanda will always be with you in spirit and you will have many lovely memories of her.

Godspeed Wanda.

:f_pink:f_pink:f_pink:gh_run2:f_pink:f_pink:f_pink

Carla

Guest gr84me

My prayers are with you.

It's only possible to feel heartbreaking loss if you have felt great love. You and Wanda were a blessing to each other!

Pam

What a wonderful tribute to your sweet Wanda. Your love shines through every word.

There will be a new star in the heavens for Wanda.

Edited by IreneUllmann

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Denise, your tribute to Wanda is heart wrenching but beautiful. I know the special bond you had with her. I can still see you and Wanda walking through the woods when we were trying to locate Frank the Fugitive. You had instincts about Frank and Wanda had hers to. You were quite a team.

I know how much you will miss her, but look at the joy she gave you and you gave her during the years you were together. It was fate. It had to be. Amazing that others had problems with her and to you she was perfect.

God speed little black brindle girl. And, thanks for the cactus flower. It brings hope to all of us.

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

Guest Anita

What a sweet tribute to your dear friend. She sounded so wise and dignified but with sense of humor too! She IS in good company. Sending a good thoughts your way.