Everything You Wanted To Know About Greyhound Nail Trimming

Guest Tigonie

Greyhound Nail Trimming  

483 members have voted

1. 1. How do you take care of your puppers' claws?

• I (we) trim them at home with clippers
    • I (we) trim them at home with a Dremmel
    • I (we) take them to the vet and the vet uses clippers
    • I (we) take them to the vet and the vet uses a Dremmel
    • I (we) take them to the groomer and the groomer uses clippers
    • I (we) take them to the groomer and the groomer uses a Dremmel
    • I (we) have multiple greyhounds and do different things, depending
    • I (we) have one greyhound and do different things, depending
    • Other
  2. 2. When the person who trims your grey's nails does the job, how is the grey positioned?

• Standing up
    • Lying down
    • Depends on who is doing the trimming
    • Other
  3. 3. Do the majority of your greyhounds mind having their nails trimmed?

• I (we) have one dog. He/she doesn't mind and never has
    • I (we) have one dog. He/she doesn't mind but used to hate it
    • I (we) have one dog. He/she hates it but didn't used to mind
    • I (we) have one dog. He/she hates it and always has
    • I (we) have multiple dogs. Most of them don't mind and never have
    • I (we) have multiple dogs. Most of them don't mind but used to hate it
    • I (we) have multiple dogs, and they are spilt about in half, minding or not minding
    • I (we) have multiple dogs. Most of them hate it but didn't used to mind
    • I (we) have multiple dogs. Most of them hate it and always have
    • Depends on their mood
    • Depends on who is doing the trimming
    • Other

Guest Tigonie

I'm just curious. We use clippers at home with Emma, though I know a lot of people swear by Dremmels. It's so much easier to do her nails since someone on this forum suggested having her lie down. (She used to lean on my head when I had her on three feet, making trimming extra awkward.) She used to hate getting her nails trimmed, but now she's ok with it. I guess I could have added in something for greyhounds who love having their nails trimmed, but that seemed like a lot of extra combinations/permuations.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest multiplicity

There is always a lot of whining around here but it is me whining to DH to be a sweetie and clip the doggies' nails. :blush

Guest TheStylishHound

Love my Dremmel! I use the clipper to take off the ends first and them Dremmel.

I say "it's nail time" and Taylor gets into position (on her pillow laying down on her side). She's great. With Kiki, I take him for a really nice long walk and get him sooooooo tired that he'll let me do anything without a fuss. Seems to work!

Guest CocktailGirl

It is funny that this poll is here today. I just had to take Tonic to the vet to get his nails clipped. I have been trying to use the dremmel on him for weeks. Everytime I start a nail he gets up and runs. His nails finally got too long so off to the vet he went. Needless to say he was not a happy about it at all.

Cocktail is really good and will just lay there while I use the dremmel.

Guest Leilani

I would never let anyone else touch my dogs' nails ;) I clip them with clippers every week. I also cut my cats' nails weekly. None object on any level.

Only I do it. I have had over 100 dogs come through here (fosters, etc) and I have never met one yet that I can't trim. A few are unsure at first, but I am an "old hand" at nail trimming and am quick and confident- I think that helps a lot. When I show somebody how, they have more trouble than I do when nervous. Once you're sure of yourself and get the hang of it, it is easier.

And the dogs usually sleep/lie down very relaxed while I do it. With a bad dog, I make them lie down, pet on them, then make my approach. They are more inclined to just relax and give in this way.

Yeah holding a dog yourself and cutting his nails with him standing leads to the dog pulling away by the leg, sometimes getting himself in a painful twist. It also puts your face at dog bite level should you quick him by mistake and cause him to snap. ALWAYS lying down IMO

I wait til they are 1/2 asleep on the couch in the study. Thier legs hang off the edge a foot or so. Then I sit on the floor and dremmel away. If I've slacked off and gone to long I'll clip first then dremmel. I usually only dremmel two feet at a time. Three feet seems to be their "annoyance" threshhold. I try to spen 5 min on them every other day. I am trying to work the quick bak but they are not overly long so I'm taking my time about it.

I wish I could bring the dremmel to france :(

(the electric is diff)

-luv

Guest KennelMom

10 dogs can be done by a single person. The other four turn into freakazoids when the dremel comes out and require both DH and I (unless I take them down to the kennel and do them there). If I'm working on a dog by myself, they are always laying down.

If DH and I are working on the dog, one holds and the other dremels. Usually we leave the dog standing. If they are already in a defensive mindset, forcing them to lay down, which is a more vulnerable position can make them even more upset. With Hanna we figured out if DH just picks her up, I can dremel her nails in no time...she won't struggle at all. Good thing she's only 55 or so pounds :lol :lol

I do occasionally use clippers. I just really don't like the results you get with clippers unless I also use a file...and at that point I'd just rather be zapping each nail with the dremel in one step.

Edited by KennelMom

Dremel, lying down. The greyhounds have always been good about it. Occasionally they'll pull a paw away or fidget a little, but more often they just relax ... to the point that Zema has begun twitching and snoring in her sleep, in the 3 minutes it takes to do hers :lol .

Rocco the whippet used to hate it, to the point where only his breeder could/would do his nails. He still fidgets and squirms quite a bit but will occasionally fall asleep.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We walk on pavements a lot so Doc mostly keeps his own nails down. I use a hand nail file on his dew claws, and to tidy the others up if necessary. He lies still and doesn't mind a bit!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Guest luluaz

What is the manufacturer on preferred dremmel? I really need to get good at this, 'cause it's costing me! Also, what is the general rule for avoiding the quick? My Max's nails grow an inch a day, I swear!! :unsure

Guest Celestes_Dad

Lots of yelking out of our grey... she doesn't mind being handled but absolutely hates her nails being trimmed...

Guest lizmego

I'll caveat my answers with the following explanations:

Effee - can dremel her nails by myself and at any time of day;

Dell - can dremel nails only if DH is petting and loving on Dell;

Power - can dremel nails only if DH is petting and loving on Power and it must occur before 9pm. Power gets really cranky when its time for bed and he won't tolerate this activity when its bedtime.

Guest GreyGhost

Have just the one grey, my boyfriend does her nails with the dremmel (anything with a power tool is his job). I don't think she loves it, but she's a very submissive type, so she just lies there until he's done, then she gets treats.

Guest Greytdads

We have two puppers and use a dremel. Jazz doesn't mind at all, and actually will fall asleep on his bed while we're working on him. Oni, on the other hand, acts like we're trying to cut her leg off with a hack saw. Such the drama queen!

Guest KennelMom
What is the manufacturer on preferred dremmel? I really need to get good at this, 'cause it's costing me! Also, what is the general rule for avoiding the quick? My Max's nails grow an inch a day, I swear!! :unsure

Dremel actually is the name brand. Technically, it's a handheld rotary tool...there are several other brands out there. I've only ever used a Dremel. We have two kinds....one just has a high and low setting, the other has a dial that goes from 1 to (maybe) 10. I greatly prefer the one with the adjustable dial. We use it on 3.5 for dremeling nails. You can check out www.doberdawn.com for a 'how to.' The thing I like about the dremel, is I can see the quick coming up and stop just as soon as I see it.

Guest longdogs

Neither of my rotary tools is a 'Dremmel'. My cheap Chinese cordless one calls itself an engraving tool but takes exactly the same fittings as a Dremmel. There are similar tools in every hardware or auto supply store. Mine was very cheap (1/10th of a genuine cordless Dremmel's price) and bought on a whim just in case it could do the job, which it has managed successfully for the last 3 years.

Perfect timing on this thread! I couldn't bring myself to make a vet appt. just for nail trimming (had other things to do there, too, for the first few months), and the PETsMART grooming experience we had last month was BAD.

So I went and bought some clippers, (the Bamboo brand ones with the file and styptic powder included) and...NERVOUSLY...clipped Sweetie's nails. Of course, I made two of them bleed (black ones), and we had a miserable time (she forgave me).

So, I'm never doing that again, and will be off to buy a Dremmel and accessories this week. That doberdawn.com website is so comprehensive! I think it sounds like a much better method.

Thanks all for the input here...wish I'd checked it sooner.

Lisa
...sharing the journey with my best friend, Kevin, and our four greyhounds:
Littermates Sweetie* & Spicy (Possible Betsy, Possible Edna),

Moody* (Jr's Moody Man), and Dragon (Kiowa Dragonfire)

*Gone to wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge

Guest luluaz

Dremel actually is the name brand. Technically, it's a handheld rotary tool...there are several other brands out there. I've only ever used a Dremel. We have two kinds....one just has a high and low setting, the other has a dial that goes from 1 to (maybe) 10. I greatly prefer the one with the adjustable dial. We use it on 3.5 for dremeling nails. You can check out www.doberdawn.com for a 'how to.' The thing I like about the dremel, is I can see the quick coming up and stop just as soon as I see it.

Thank you, KennelMom.

I new the tools usage and type, but now I know there are several styles. I probably will get the adjustable one so I can customize my hounds' pedicure!

Scottie and Lisa Bissell

Max, Dyce and Gypsy, with Angel Marie at the Bridge

I do my grey's nails with the clippers lying down and since he's scared of strange noises I never even attempted the dremel. He doesn't really like it having his nails done and when he sees me pull out the clipper bag he'll try to leave the room. But if I'm careful and do lots of petting inbetween I can get him to relax and fall asleep. I also file his nails with a coarse emory board after I clip them so I can get them as short as possible without pinching the quick with the clippers. He seems to like this method the best.

I use clippers, lying down. Renie doesn't like it, but she lets me clip with very little fuss. Occasionally she'll get freaked and cry, but if I'm firm with her and take it slow, she settles down. She doesn't hate it exactly, but she isn't keen.

Jake was very twitchy about it when we first got him, but he was twitchy about a lot of things. Teeth included, and grooming. Now, like Renie, he's not too keen, but if I'm firm with him, and take it very slow and gentle, he allows it without too much fuss. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop