Conner

Guest Carla

Guest Carla

Hello,

Just wanted to let you know I helped my dear sweet Conner to the Rainbow Bridge on Tuesday.

I adopted Conner on 11/15/02 and he was a handsome white & blue boy. He was always an incredibly goofy dog who thoroughly enjoyed every second of the day. He came home from the kennel with happy tail syndrome - his tail was always wagging nonstop. Conner was my shadow -- where ever I was - he was right there with me. I'd be out in the back yard hanging clothes on the line and Conner would be jumping up and down at the door wanting to be outside with me. Whenever I drove into the driveway he would get up on the chair and have his head in the window - telling me to hurry up and get my butt in the house so he could see me. Conner would run laps in the back yard till he was dizzy and then continue to run some more.

Around mid-March Conner started limping and I took him to my vet. They said it was arthritis and prescribed Deramaxx. The limping would come and go and I took him back in for xrays on the 10th of April. The xrays confirmed arthritis. I decided to put him on glucoflex 111 and started accupunture with him. I also did the adequan shots. On our 4th visit to the accupuncturist on May 16, Dr. Lindsay didn't like what he was seeing and feeling and wanted to have another xray done. I was devastated as Conner wasn't showing much improvement and I had the sinking feeling that it was osteosarcoma vs arthritis. We had another set of xrays done on the 18th of May, and sadly it was determined that it was indeed osteosarcoma. We had an oncology consult on the 23rd of May and they did a needle aspirate and called Wednesday and said it was osteosarcoma. The tumor was at the top of his right hip - not a good place for a tumor. The options were: 1. amputation - may add a year to his life, no guarantee that they could get clean margins. 2. radiation - could give us another 4 months. 3. Control pain with oral mediations and that may give us another 2 months.

I opted to go with the oral pain medications. Conner was putting less and less weight on the leg and we were using Deramaxx and Chinese Herbs to try to control the pain. He was having more and more trouble laying down and getting up again. My husband had to carry him up the stairs and then Conner didn't want to go down the stairs, so he had to be carried down too. While we were out on our walks, Conner would stop and not want to walk any more as he was in pain. We would turn around and go home.

I came home from work on Monday night and Conner's leg was very swollen. I stayed up with him all night and called in sick to work on Tuesday. I called the vet and told her what was going on and we made the appointment for 5:45 pm. I spend the day with Conner and we went out in the back yard for a little bit -- it was a gorgeous day - around 70 and partly cloudy. We have been having terribly rainy weather here in Massachusetts and Conner never liked the rain.

They were ready for us when we arrived. Dr. A. gave Conner a tranquilizer and gave us some private time with him. She came back into the room and gave him the overdose of anesthesia while we were holding him and telling him how much we loved him. He let out a little cry and then was very still. Seconds later, Dr. A. said he was gone. It was very quick. She then shaved some of his fur for us, so we will always have a little physical piece of him. My heart is shattered into a million pieces and I have cried many many tears. I kept my promise to Conner that I would not let him suffer.

I know he will always be with me in spirit and that he was greeted at the Rainbow Bridge by so many of our beloved greyhounds who have gone before him. They are all whole again and running like the wind with no pain, having one hell of a good time for themselves.

Run free dear Conner - we will meet again.

Love,

Mom

Edited by Carla

I am so sorry for your loss. Run free at the bridge Connor. You'll have so many buds waiting for you.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Guest OnecoRose
:f_red:f_red:f_red I am so sorry, and crying with you right now. My Chloe, my lst grey had osteo, and I went through the same situation exactly. I know your pain and feel it to my core. She passed on Dec 3 2004 and we adopted Misty on Dec. 20. It was the best thing we ever did, are hearts were in a million pieces, and could not get past that. I feel that Chloe sent Misty to us and is happy we adopted again. Sending many hugs.

Guest rsqdogsmom

I am so sorry for your loss. :(

I lost my heart-dog, Murphy, in Jan. of this year to Wobblers disease. She,too, was born in 1992.

Everything seems so empty when you lose a dog that you have had for so many years, no matter how many other dogs you still have.

Even knowing that you have done absolutely everything that you believed was right does not make it any easier.

They are, each of them, so irreplaceable.

Just remember all the good years that Connor had with you.

He wouldn't want to see you so sad now.

You are in my prayers.

Run Free, Connor.

I'm so sorry for your loss of Conner :cry1

your tribute to him is just beautiful -- you both were very lucky to have had each other :wub:

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Carla, I'm so sorry to hear about Conner. I'm crying here with you. He was too young to be taken from you, but I know you will cherish every moment you had with him, and he knows how much you loved him.

:f_pink

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Carla, I am so sorry for your loss. We know how much it hurts. Know that each and every one of our Angels were at the gate to welcome sweet Conner to the Bridge. Race the wind honey...and send your family sweet rainbows. My deepest sympathy. :grouphug:f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest lotsahounds

I'm so sorry to hear the news of Conner's passing Carla. He was a very handsome boy who knew he was loved. We all share in your pain at this very difficult time. :f_white

Guest greytbookert

Carla,

I am so very sorry for your loss!

Run free sweet Conner! I'm sure Booker will show you around the bridge!

Guest Tenderhearts

I am so sorry for your profound loss. Cancer is an ugly word. God bless you for making the hardest decision of your life, out of love, for your Conner. May God hold you aching hearts in his hands, and Conner is now running, free of pain and disease :gh_run

Gentlest of hugs from Kansas :grouphug

Guest toni

As someone who kept the same promise to my baby boy I know your hurt. I will be praying for you but at least he and Perm can run together. Its hard to let them go you just want to keep them forever, but true love is putting them first over your self. God bless!