It Was Five Months Yesterday That Murphy Died

Guest rsqdogsmom

Guest rsqdogsmom

My heart aches today. :(

I miss Murphy so much that it feels like a constant weight is on my chest making it difficult to take a deep breath.

It was too hard to talk about her earlier so I am sharing this today.

My heart-dog, Murphy Peaches Doberman, went to the Bridge 1/7/06 after a gradual decline from Wobblers disease.

She was my first dog, my baby and 'The Best Dog in the World'.

Everyone said so. The vets, my family, strangers at the vets office.

We lived alone for the first 3 years I had her and I always talked to her as if she were another person.

"Would you like a little baby-carrot ?" or "Murphy! It's your new birthday blanket!", like that.

I didn't know that I should be issuing commands instead of having a conversation with her. :blush

I was a naive first-time dog-Mom.

By all rights she should have been a holy terror but she was so GOOD. :)

She never barked for no reason; never failed to tell me when she had to go out; never destroyed any furniture or toys; never needed the cage.

She loved kids; loved to visit her dog-friend; was sociable at the dog-park.

Everywhere I took her people asked me if I had any puppies to sell, or was I going to breed her?

She had a perfectly cropped tail, not a stub nor one of those 'too-long-for-the-breed' GSHP's tails and her ears were done in a long, graceful 'show crop'.

I would never cut a dog's ears or tail but you could see why they do when you looked at Murphy.

She was the ideal example of what good breeding can accomplish.

People were shocked to find that I had gotten her for free from someone who didn't want her!

Murphy was a 'rescue dog' but I had her Registration papers.

I got them from her second owner who got them from the man who gave her away originally.

He had paid big $ for her, according to the receipt, and she was absolutely stunning.

No one ever figured out why her original owner hated her so much.

He just said that he "never liked that dog!" and that he was "glad to get rid of her".

He kept her in a dark, unfinished basement and fed her bags of Brachs chocolates as a 'treat'. :angry:

She had no toys, no bed, no collar and not even a food bowl.

He threw her food on the concrete floor for her to eat.

He had never gotten her any shots, not even the basic puppy ones. :(

A woman heard about her and decided that she could use a 'guard dog'.

Unfortunately, she'd never had a Dobe and had no idea how big they can get.

After she took Murphy home she decided that she was too big and put the word out at her vets that she was looking for a new home for her.

Six days after the woman got Murphy, I met someone in the park walking a male Dobe.

When I commented on how beautiful he was she asked me if I was in the market for one. :huh

She had heard from a vet tech,

who had heard from a friend ,

who was a neighbor of the woman who wanted to give Murphy away,

that there was a purebred Dobe, WITH papers, that needed a home. :blink:

I got the info, called the woman, and picked Murphy up the next day, May,28,1992.

She had only ever been in a car once before and had NEVER walked on a leash.

She was 3 weeks short of nine months old and was going to her third home.

She was PERFECT and I knew from the first moment I saw her that she was meant to be mine.

I used to tell her that my only regret was that I had not had her from the time she left her mother.

There has not been a single day in the last 13+ years that I regretted my impulsive decision to take that puppy home.

And there will not be one day of the rest of my life that I do not miss her with my whole heart. :(

From " The Power of the Dog", by Rudyard Kipling:

"...The longer we've kept 'em, the more we do grieve."

I miss you, Murphy, now and forever.

Mommy loves you, baby girl.

Edited by rsqdogsmom

Guest VelvetEars

She was meant to be with you, and she knew love for the majority of her life. That's all that matters. She's always with you, just a heartbeat away, watching over you and sending you her love.

With time, the pain will lessen, but don't hold onto the pain as a way of remembering her. Let yourself be flooded with all the happy memories, all the cuddles and snuggles and little moments that made her yours. Let those replace the pain, and with time, you'll be able to remember her with tears of joy and not tears of sadness.

Guest petrea

Thank you for sharing your wonderful story with

us.

And I shre your loss.

I lost my Gabe last month and I can't move past my sorrow.

All the kind words from so many people helped and the one I remember here is there is another

Murphy out there waiting for you.

Guest SYMBASMOMMY
:wub::grouphug:grouphug:grouphug Your tribute was touching....sweet Murphy didn't remember her first days....only her wonderful years with you I am sure of this.........she is now an angel at the bridge.......sounds like she was an angel to you too.....may your memories bring you peace until you can look into her eyes once again.

Guest strumpgfnj

you're making me cry! so sorry; but as stated before - you gave her the best life after her trials and tribulations. i know she is looking down on you and saying, 'Thanks, Mom".

stef

Guest vahoundlover

:grouphug She's still with you, in your heart and memories. Sounds like you had a very special relationship, beautiful tribute.

:f_pink

She's just a heartbeat away. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug We know your pain...we understand. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I am so glad you and Murphy had each other. She sounded wonderful. Her home is forever in your heart.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

I'm sorry for your pain. :grouphug Time is always too short, no matter how many days, months or years our babies are with us. :( Fate brought Murphy to her perfect home and you were both richly blessed to share so many years together. She is still with you in spirit, always... :beatheart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

When I read your words, I know she was an amazing girl. I'm sorry she couldn't stay longer with you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It was years before I could say Joe's name without crying. Grief is one of those things that does get easier with time, but I don't know that it ever really goes away.

You have my sympathy.

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)