Gm's Sly One

Guest falconschild

Guest falconschild

GM's Sly One, otherwise known as "Sly."

March 8, 1992 - May 31, 2006

We had to say goodbye to our Big Fellow this past Wednesday. He was 14 years old. The vet said steroids could have given him a little more time, but his arthritis was just getting worse and worse - and that morning, he looked so sad and tired, for the very first time.

Sly was one heck of a hound and our first grey. We adopted him a year before we married - and he was present at our wedding ceremony, over the objections of hubby's side of the family. The fretted about how a dog would be disruptive to the service...and Sly was an absolute angel, even bowing his head when the preacher said "Let us pray." After the service, all we heard was "what a well-behaved dog he is!" Well, that was just Sly for you. ;)

We only saw Sly run once in his life - in general, he preferred a trot or a leisurely amble. On that one occasion, he ran to interpose himself between Chewie, our border collie cross that he raised, and a group of greyhounds that wanted to bully her.

As he aged, Sly became a true Southern gentleman - always gracious and kind, even when he wasn't feeling well. He was, to my mind, the Atticus Finch of dogdom. :) And all his life, oh how he loved the ladies. He was the most incurable flirt I've ever seen. He seemed to be able to charm just about every human female he met...including me.

The house has been - empty - this past week. Chewie still looks for him, and is sad because he's nowhere to be found. She used to try and steal the blanket he used as a bed, just to mess with him because it would get him so frustrated. Since he's been gone, she's not touched his empty blanket once.

So yeah...we miss you, Sly. All of us do. But thank you...thank you for everything. We know you'd have stayed longer if you could.

What a beautiful, loving tribute to your friend. Sly sounds like a special soul. Warm thoughts and heartfelt condolences for your family.

:grouphug:f_red

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Farewell Sly.

You will be missed!

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest KennelMom

Oh no :( I'm so very sorry. Our 14 year old, Annie, has very bad arthritis but is in good health otherwise. I am terrified of the day when we are in the same position you were in with Sly :grouphug

He sounds like an amazing dog who was fortunate enough to find an equally amazing family to share his life with.

Run arthritis-free at the Bridge, sweet Sly

Guest vahoundlover

What a beautiful tribute :cry1 Sounds like Sly was one special guy.

Godspeed and send your family a rainbow when you can Sly :f_red

I am so sorry for your loss. Run free and forever young at the Bridge sweet Sly...Kiss my Angel Sophia for me. :grouphug:f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

so sorry for your loss of your dear Sly!

and what a beautiful tribute -- you two and Sly were very lucky to have found each other! :wub:

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Sly was quite a wonderful friend and family member, wasn't he? I'm so sorry :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.