What Was The Stuff For Relaxation?

What was the stuff to help dogs relax?

Oliver has been doing much much better with thunderstorms since we began using the Canine Lullaby CD and Rescue Remedy drops. But last night was so bad that I gave him a Benadryl.

There's been a post before about an aromatherapy-type scent you can spray/rub on the dog's chest.

Anyone remember what it was?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Rescue Remedy?

sorry, i should read the entire post before i reply :blush

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest KarenFergie

What was the stuff to help dogs relax?

Oliver has been doing much much better with thunderstorms since we began using the Canine Lullaby CD and Rescue Remedy drops. But last night was so bad that I gave him a Benadryl.

There's been a post before about an aromatherapy-type scent you can spray/rub on the dog's chest.

Anyone remember what it was?

D.A.P. (Dog Appeasing Pheromone) is the latest thing for helping dogs relax. It's supposed to mimic the pheromone that mother dogs emit to calm their puppies. Comes in three forms; a collar, a room diffuser and a spray. We've been using the spray for a fews weeks during thunderstorms. Gotta say, it does not do diddley-squat to calm my thunderphobic grey. DRAT! Maybe you will have better luck with it.

Best Wishes!

Karen

You're not supposed to spray the DAP directly onto the dog, though, so I'm wondering if this is something else? DAP worked wonders for our first dog. Absolute miracles. Not so good on Renie, though it did improve her, and it didn't matter quite so much because she is only fairly mildly affected compared to some. I did the firework desensitising CD for her and that helped a lot - and also helped with thunder as a bonus. :thumbs-up

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

DAP didn't help at all.

The product I'm looking for is a spray or fluid of some kind that you can rub on the dog, perhaps calming lavender in scent? There was a particular brand name mentioned when I first read it. Just can't find the thread now howver.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Oh - I think that's called Trauma Life or some weird name...I think it's an oil you rub behind the dog's ears...comes in a vile and it's quite pricey at like $40 a pop. Someone on here swears by it.

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Oh - I think that's called Trauma Life or some weird name...I think it's an oil you rub behind the dog's ears...comes in a vile and it's quite pricey at like $40 a pop. Someone on here swears by it.

That sounds like that might be it. I do recall it was expensive.

tiny hada siggy.png

Trauma Life, by Young Living. It's very expensive (like $46 a bottle!) but supposedly works like magic. You rub a couple drops between your hands, then massage their ears with it and rub the leftover oil off along their spine. I just ordered a bottle and it smells wonderful. Haven't had a chance to use it on Argus yet, so will have to post once we've had a t-storm.

Linky:

Young Living Essential Oils

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest DaffyToons

I bought some lavendar oil and added it to a spray mister mixed with water. It seemed to help with my Lilly's SA issues. Plus, I love the scent. :)

Edited by DaffyToons

• 1 year later...
Trauma Life, by Young Living. It's very expensive (like $46 a bottle!) but supposedly works like magic. You rub a couple drops between your hands, then massage their ears with it and rub the leftover oil off along their spine. I just ordered a bottle and it smells wonderful. Haven't had a chance to use it on Argus yet, so will have to post once we've had a t-storm.

Linky:

Young Living Essential Oils

In searching for info about thunderphobia remedies I ran across this.

GreytNut, did you use it? What were the results?

I know this was a year ago but I was wondering about the outcome.

Apologizing in advane, if you posted this information in another thread, I was unable to find it.

Thanks

Bernadette with Jak, Horizon, Kota, Barnaby, Madison, Earl, Tiggy, Finney, Tommy, Woody, Tyler and Lincoln all at the bridge

Guest Tigonie

The price is up to $47.70. That's bad enough, but the description makes it sound...I don't know...really weird. They recommend it for people who are being neglected or abused. :huh A neglected or abused person would be better off spending their $50 on getting help or getting out rather than making the Young Life Company rich by buying some stinky oil to "release buried emotional trauma." <_<

Their "Thieves" line product information page gave me the creeps, too.

It also doesn't say anything about putting it on dogs. (I know, Rescue Remedy doesn't make any pet claims either, but at least I know there are lots of people who have safely used it on dogs and cats.) Personally, I think I'd go a different route than "Trauma Life" for thunderphobia.

TRAUMA LIFE - 5 ML

Trauma Life™ is a calming, grounding blend of therapeutic-grade essential oils formulated to help release buried emotional trauma resulting from accidents, neglect, the death of a loved one, assault, or abuse. Left unchecked, emotionally draining episodes may be at the root of fatigue, anger, and restlessness.

How to use: For topical and aromatic use. Diffuse or apply a few drops to the bottoms of feet, on the chest, behind the ears, on the forehead and at the nape of the neck.

Possible skin sensitivity. If pregnant or under a doctor's care, consult your physician. Dilution recommended for both topical and internal use. Dilute before using on sensitive areas such as the face, neck, genital area, etc. Keep out of reach of children. Avoid using on infants and very small children.

Ingredients: Frankincense (Boswellia carteri), sandalwood (Santalum album), valerian (Valeriana officinalis), lavender (Lavandula angustifolia), davana (Artemisia pallens), spruce (Picea mariana), geranium (Pelargonium graveolens), helichrysum (Helichrysum italicum), citrus hystrix, and rose (Rosa damascena)

* This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Edited by Tigonie

The price is up to $47.70. That's bad enough, but the description makes it sound...I don't know...really weird. They recommend it for people who are being neglected or abused. :huh A neglected or abused person would be better off spending their $50 on getting help or getting out rather than making the Young Life Company rich by buying some stinky oil to "release buried emotional trauma." <_<

Their "Thieves" line product information page gave me the creeps, too.

It also doesn't say anything about putting it on dogs. (I know, Rescue Remedy doesn't make any pet claims either, but at least I know there are lots of people who have safely used it on dogs and cats.) Personally, I think I'd go a different route than "Trauma Life" for thunderphobia.

That's what I was thinking when I read it. Since Greytnut had mentioned that they were going to try it, I thought I'd ask about results. Currently, we're using a DAP diffuser with inconclusive results. I've ordered a DAP collar to see if that will help some more.

Bernadette with Jak, Horizon, Kota, Barnaby, Madison, Earl, Tiggy, Finney, Tommy, Woody, Tyler and Lincoln all at the bridge

Guest VelvetEars

You can make your own aromatherapy spray with lavender essential oil, a brown glass spray bottle, and distilled water. For 2 oz of distilled water, add 20 drops lavender and shake well. You can spritz her back, her pillow, or the air around her (don't get it in her eyes). A few drops of chamomile or neroli is a nice addition, altho' they're a bit pricier. you don't need them unless essential oils are something you'll use a lot of.

We use a lot of aromatherapy here. :) A good source on ebay is essenceofjoy (seller name). lavenderluxuries is also a great source for lavender.

Lavender can also be used "neat" (undiluted) on cuts/scrapes - it's antibacterial, antifungal, and antiseptic. Really really good stuff. I highly recommend keeping a small bottle around. A drop or two added to the dog shampoo in your hand is a nice way to treat the skin and make the bath a good experience.