Optimizations = Minor Delays

Jeff

In an effort to optimize our resources I have made a few changed that will have minor user impact but slightly delay certain data:

The active chat room members are now queried once per minute and written to cache. In the past they were queried each time someone hit the main index page. That could be several times per second, and was not necessary. Maximum potential display delay of a new user in the chat room is 59 seconds. This is for the main forum index only, the chat room will update immediately as always.

We will now identify the gallery members every 6 hours.

This is done to display the gallerybtn.gif image in your profile when you post if you have a gallery.

In the past we ran the query on every topic page load, and that just seems unnecessary. The topic pages are also hit several times per second. The gallery member base does not change very often.

What it means for new users, is that the above image will not display immediately when you upload your first image. It may take a few hours to update, but rest assured, it will be there before too long. The maximum time it will take is 5 hours 59 minutes to update the cache. The updates are done at 0000 / 0600 / 1200 / 1800

User impact should be almost zero, but server performance should slightly increase, though it may not be noticeable to the end user since we have a lot of growing room ;)

large.greyhound_signature.gif

It's all geek to me, but if you're happy, that's all that matters. ;):lol

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Oh yeah, and I installed a server update last night, that we need a reboot to use. Expect that Saturday morning, should take about 5 minutes for the reboot. (Before 0630 EST)

{this has been completed}

Guest sheila
The active chat room members are now queried once per minute and written to cache. In the past they were queried each time someone hit the main index page. That could be several times per second, and was not necessary. Maximum potential display delay of a new user in the chat room is 59 seconds. This is for the main forum index only, the chat room will update immediately as always.n a

Please to explain what this means in common English?

I did.

The list of chatters at the top of the forum now updates every minute, not every single click.

The list inside the chatroom continues to update immediately when someone enters or leaves the chatroom.

Thanks for putting that in simple terms for me. I still need the 12 year old next door to help me with the computer when I cant figure things out.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest tenpinsue

HI

This is the first time I have ever replyed to anything.(tecnology-challenged). I not sure I am doing this right.

My greyt adopted me 4 years ago,he is a beautiful blk.and white he is six years old and like most of the post

I have read I think he is the best. I do a lot of fostering, and have many greyts in and out my door.I am always sad to see them go but so happy they have their forever home. I have a question though I have searched allover for any info on my boy

greyhound data,littermate list and any other place I could think of Reg. name Kid's Irish Magic (Mikie)

left ear 84894-------right ear119E so if anyone can point me in a direction I would be greyt full

Mikie's Mom

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LisaLGK
Thanks for putting that in simple terms for me. I still need the 12 year old next door to help me with the computer when I cant figure things out.

My kids help me with everything. It makes you feel pretty stupid sometimes. (Especially when it's my 8 yr old!!) The others are 15, 16 and 21 yrs.