Hannah.......

Guest GentleHugs

Guest GentleHugs

6 years ago on May 26th, 2000, I lost one of the most precious kids in my life. I lost Hannah. Every year since, I've posted a reminder for everyone to please be aware of their surroundings, loose dogs and other things when out walking your precious Greyhounds. Hannah was my first Greyhound and I only had her for 3 weeks. She was precious in every way imaginable and just lacked a few days of turning 3 years old. However, that Memorial day weekend brought horror and tragedy to our family when we lost Hannah to a loose dog attack. My precious baby was gone. No matter what I did, how hard I fought in court to win our case or how much money I was awarded, it never brought my precious baby back to me. I don't want to see anyone go through what I did that Memorial Day weekend - ever. A couple of years passed and I found out that my precious Hannah and her case did not go unnoticed by the legal system and animal control in our city. It was her case that caused them to change the laws and consequences of having dangerous breed animals if they injured or killed another living being - regardless if it were human or another pet. The target of changing the laws was not about the animal itself but about the owners and their reckless regard and stupidity about the dog breed they owned. I'm not going to post a big long story because it still causes deep pain and rawness in my heart. All I'm going to say is this: Be aware of your surroundings while you are out walking your dogs. Carry some type of protection with you. If you don't know what's legal in your town or city, call and ask your local animal control or local police dept what you can do to protect yourself in the event of an attack. If you don't care for the present laws in your town or city, get proactive and see what you can do to get them changed. Think about getting a petition going by talking to neighbors, family, friends, co-workers, local newspapers, local tv stations and your local representatives. It might some time to get them changed but it's worth it if you can save a life from a vicious attack - if not your life or your dog's life - maybe someone else's family pet, innocent child or elderly person. Start a discussion with your local group or start a class about how to protect yourself and your Greyhounds when approached by a dangerous dog. Make sure you teach all new adopters how to properly keep a Greyhound from backing out of their collar, how to ward off an attacker and what to do if you are attacked. These are just a few suggestions on what you can do to keep from getting attacked like Hannah and I did. Don't ever let your guard down......... Hannah ........ my baby ...... my pride and joy...... I miss you and I will always love you no matter what.

thank you for the reminder of your girl Hannah. She lives on because of you and the message you send for everyone to be aware. Thank you. She was loved.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

I can't believe that it is six years already. It is story that I will never forgot.

Welcome to the list Therese.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I am so sorry. :(:grouphug:grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest GraveleyGrey

I can so identify with your story. I had a similar experience over 30 years ago when I was 14. I was out walking with my mum and my very first dog, a tiny black toy poodle called Ricky. A German Shepherd cross came over and within seconds attacked Ricky, biting him all over his neck and back. The dog's owner just got hold of her dog and walked off, leaving us panicking about what to do with our little dog, who was terrified and screaming. To cut a long story short, we managed to get him home and to the vet, who thought he was just shocked. Next morning though, he was completely paralysed from the neck down and eventually, about a week later, my father made the decision to have him put to sleep as it was thought he would never walk again. I can still remember the absolute horror and anguish of this situation and the complete devastation it caused to me and my family. I was depressed for years afterwards. My mother became dependent on tranquillisers and turned against me, believing that I was responsible for what happened because I had not picked Ricky up. Our family was never the same again, and neither was I, and to make matters worse we never got the owner's address so never even had the satisfaction of taking the owner to court, or of even letting her know what heartbreak her dog had caused. To this day, I am nervous of any dog I don't know and very cautious, but however cautious you are there are still situations you can't predict or avoid, such as the time I had my late greyhound on a lead and a Jack Russell Terrier escaped from its owner trailing its lead, headed straight for us and attacked my poor greyhound's face before I could even think of doing anything to protect him. Fortunately he wasn't badly hurt, just very shocked, as was I.

So, I wholeheartedly second everything that you say about being aware of your surroundings and having some sort of protection with you - you just never know when something might happen.

My deepest sympathy.

Guest Winterwish

Oh my gosh,I'm so sorry. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug Bless your and Hannah's heart and soul.

Thank you for letting us know to be always careful in this way for our vulnerable greys.

:f_pink:angel:f_pink

• 2 weeks later...