In Memory Of My Beloved Sandy-i Miss You Still!

Guest Ferrevergrey

Guest Ferrevergrey

I'm not sure if this is just for greys, so I decided to post this here-please excuse me if I'm out of line!!!!!! Sandy was a terrier mix. Most people think terrier, and they think small, but Sandy wasn't that small. He was about a 40 lb dog. I'll never forget the tragic day when I lost my sweet angel. It was a tragity that could have been prevented-if only I didn't always have to learn things the hard way. I was warned to check the home and make sure they understood everything I was telling them before I left-but I didn't. After all, I was only leaving for 2 or 3 days-he should be okay with them for that long-right? Oh how wrong I was. I never knew that when I left I'd never see my sweet boy alive again. I left Sandy with a family that had another dog, I thought they would know better-they had even had show dogs in the past-how could they have been so stupid? I told them Sandy got scared when he was left outside alone, and to NEVER leave him outside no matter what, but they didn't listen. They had him LESS THEN AN HOUR before they stuck him out in the back yard alone. Then one thing led to another, and tragity soon followed. They did just about everything I told them not to do. Sandy of course, got scared, and he dug under their gate. Now if they would have stopped right thier, and opened up the gate like I told them to do and leave it for a while, Sandy would have gone back into the back yard, and they could have shut the gate, and caught him-but that's not what they did. They proceeded to do the thing that I said NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS DO NOT CHASE THIS DOG!!!!!! HE WILL RUN, AND YOU WON'T CATCH HIM!!!! They chased him, not once, not twice, but 3 different times. First on foot, when they didn't catch him, they returned home, and after a while, Sandy came back. Then they chased him on bikes, again, they couldn't catch him, they returned home, and eventually, Sandy came back the second time-then THEY GOT IN THIER CAR AND CHASED HIM!!!!!!!! Now Sandy wasn't stupid, and when they couldn't catch him the third time, he didn't come back. I hadn't even been gone a day yet, and already they had lost my dog. And they called me on the phone to tell me-all they could think of was "oh, our son never got to see him", and "well, do we still get paid?" OF COURSE NOT YOU IDIOTS!!!!! YOU LOST MY DOG!!! Bad quickly turned to worse. After wondering around for nearly a whole day, Sandy not knowing what to do, tried to get to the one place he know he would be loved and treated right-home. Unfortuanatly, that ment crossing a busy road. He was hit by a speeding car, and hurt really bad. A fellow animal lover stopped and rushed him to the vet. I always kept tags on Sandy, and he was microchipped as well, so it didn't take long for them to track down my family as the owners, but we didn't have the number we where at on his microchip or tags, so they just called and left a message on the awnsering machine. The vet worked on him for over and hour-but it was to late. Sandy was gone. You can imagine how heavy my heart felt when I returned home to that message on my awnsering machine-I was so upset, and to add to my anger, the family I had trusted him with called and asked if I was going to pay then. It was all I could do to keep from screaming YOU KILLED MY DOG YOU IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!! LET ME THINK IF I'M GOING TO PAY YOU-------NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angryfire But anger wasn't going to bring Sandy back-I never even got to say goodbye!!!! Now let's go back to the beginning for a minute. Maybe this will help you see why Sandy was so special to me. On July 10, 2001, I had to put my heeler, Taz, to sleep. The very day I had to do that, my mom came home with Sandy-oh how I hated that dog. I didn't want another dog-I wanted Taz. My mom had adopted him from the shelter because he was "to old" to be adoptable, and they where going to euthanize him. He had been neglecte, abused, and finally dumped at the shelter. They guessed him to be 5 years old, so we went from the day my mom adopted him and went back exactly 5 years, and called that his birthday. It didn't take long for Sandy to work his charm and win me over. Oh how I loved him. He went everywhere with me. He was there when I adopted my Springer, he was there trough the death of a close friend of mine, he was there through it all. He was stricly a house dog, and we never let him out alone. He went on countless car rides with me. He was indeed the best dog in the world. He loved to snuggle with me on the couch, but he was very well mannered, and always waited for me to invite him up before he got on the furnature. Sandy and Licorice(one of my cats) where very close. I've never met a dog that liked cats as much as Sandy. He'd chase them if he got loose outside, but inside, he snuggled with them. All the cats loved Sandy, but especially Licorice. She too had been dumped and we had taken her in. They shared a special bond together. At home they where rarely apart. The last time I saw Sandy, I see the sadness in his eyes-he knew I was leaving him-he just didn't understand that I was going to come back. Or maybe, just maybe, he knew that was the last time we'd see each other. For pictures or Sandy, click here. Sandy's page I will always miss my boy, and morn his tragic death. I know that I will never make the mistake of leaving any of my pets with someone without making 100% sure that they know how to take care of them and understand everything about them first. Hopefully, that will prevent such a tragity from happening again.

Guest Ferrevergrey

*sigh* He sure was. He was handsome, sweet, and so well mannered. I could take him anywhere. He never bothered anyone. He never had accidents in the house, he never chewed on things, or tore things up-infact I really can't remember him EVER getting into trouble.

Guest Ferrevergrey

Sandy was only the second dog I've lost, and I had time to prepare myself before I had to euthanize my heeler-I knew it was coming-but I thought I'd have Sandy for at least 5 more years-his death was such a shock!!!

Guest Ferrevergrey

SM, I'm sure that having his brother help some, but I know it's impossible to replace a beloved pet. At first when Sandy died, I tried to find a dog that looked like him, acted like him-actually, I wanted a dog that WAS him, but I think I just needed time to come to my senses. Finally, Orem City Animal Control called me and told me they had a collie if I was still interested. I had totally forgotten I had even put my name on the list, and my brother had been begging for a dog to train for a merit badge, so that's how we got the collie. He's really my brother's dog, and he'll stay here when I move out. Kristi will be the only one that goes with me. I hope the boys will be okay without me!!!!! Smoky and Coty are as much a part of my family as Kristi is, and Sandy was, but I think Kristi is all I can handle. The boys will have to stay here with my mom to keep her company. I know she'll take care of them, but I will miss them.

So sorry about the loss of Sandy. It is so difficult to face the death of a beloved pet.

I remember loosing Snoopy when I was a senior in high school. I had Snoopy since I was 5 years old and grew up with her by my side and I sometimes I still think of her and how she molded me into a real dog lover and animal lover today.

I'm sure you will always remember Sandy and how he made a difference in your life.

I love your picture with the matching coats too! :)

Edited by marnie

Guest Ferrevergrey

Thanks for your kind compliments. Kristi and I belong to a dog obediance club, and every week we go in matching vests. I also have a blue one and a reddish pink one, but they don't match as close. Sandy sure was a special boy. He was my first dog that was strickly and indoor dog. Even Kristi spends a lot of time outside when she wants too, but Sandy NEVER ever went outside without a leash on. He went litterally everywhere with me and my mom. The most he ever had to stay home alone was at most 3 hours at a time-but he usually just came with us. He went shopping with us, vacationing with us, everywhere we went, so did Sandy-the one time we decided to leave our baby behind we lost our poor baby forever. I look back and wish we had just taken him with us. I'll never forget my little curly haired angel. I'm convinced there isn't another dog like my Sandy in the entire earth, and there never had been or will be another. I miss him ever day.

Sandy knows how much you loved him so please don't beat yourself up for it. He was lucky to have you in his life even if it was shorter than you would have liked. Be thankful for the time that God did grant you together. You're in my thoughts.